Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 14,846 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

I have been offered a job in wellington, Fl, and my wife and I are considering moving there. We were wondering if there are any areas close by that are hip, younger, nice walkable, shopping, near the beach, with an easy commute to wellington and JFK hospital. We're looking to rent (condo, highrise, house, apartment), would like nice/luxury amenities, and hardwood floors.

please let us know if you have ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
"Hip," "younger" and "walkable" don't really apply much to Palm Beach County.

Downtown Lake Worth has a lot of restaurants and shops and is much more walkable than anywhere else in PBC other than downtown Palm Beach. Lake Worth's apartments though are pretty old and definitely not luxury but there might be some new condos in the area that would be within walking distance. Check it out and see if you like downtown Lake Worth, it's a bit ritzier than when I was a kid but it's still pretty down to earth. Palm Beach is a totally different story, definitely more luxury living but I'm sure the real estate prices are out of this world.

Downtown West Palm probably has some new condos. Last time I was in downtown WPB was several years ago and there were some new shops and stuff but it was still pretty quiet, but maybe there is more now. Citiplace opened up quite a while ago and is kind of a manufactured walkable commercial/residential district but you might like it. From Lake Worth or WPB it would be about a 30-45 minute drive to Wellington.

Other than that most of PBC is very suburban with either high-end houses or low-end houses depending on the area. Boca Raton, Delray Beach and some other parts of the southern part of the county have some walkable downtown areas but the commute would be a bit longer than from WPB, but you could check them out.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
The Gardens or Downtown West Palm would be good fits for what you are looking for depending on your budget.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 PM

delray beach seems nice, but i am a bit concerned about the commute. anyone else live in delray?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Downtown West Palm is your best bet. Tons of luxury condos on the market right now. Delray is nice, but the commute out of Delray to Wellington might not be the best. From downtown WPB you just gotta jump on the highway, go about two miles down and hit Southern Blvd.

Check out Once City Plaza, Two City Plaza, the Metropolitan, Cityplace South Tower, and the Strand.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
City Place is beautiful..those condos look gorgeous was there for the 1st time a few months ago for dinner..love that place...

Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
I agree that the CityPlace area of downtown WPB is your best bet for what you're looking for, and the commute will be relatively easy, especially since most folks do the opposite commute (head east in the mornings, west in the evenings).

Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Thank you!

Agree that CityPlace is great. But the only thing is that it is not beachfront.

My wife and I love the idea of living off the beach, waking up to the ocean breeze, small town feel with all the amenities of nice restaurants, grocery close by, nice movie theater, where we can ride our bikes casally, ride scooters,and at the same time be close people in our own age range. Any of you know of any other areas that would provide this?

Do you all know of any realtors that would be interested in helping us with finding a place to rent?

thank you

Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
Cityplace is about a mile to the beach, you could easily ride a scooter/bike there. There's a few buildings on the intracoastal, and others that have water views. You'll pay a premium for it though. I used to live near Cityplace and would rollerblade down to the beach all the time.
You'll find that beach front, and finding 30 somethings in the same complex doesn't happen very often.
If you need help finding a rental feel free to contact me.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM

429 posts, read 931,892 times
"Near the beach" is what you had said. CityPlace is near the beach. If you must live on the beach/beachfront, and you need to be within an easy commute to Wellington, you'd better be wealthy (and likely wealthy enough that I'd have a hard time imagining what you'd be doing for work in Wellington, unless you're just working as a hobby or something. There are plenty of rich folks in Wellington, but I can't imagine that very many, if any, got rich by working in Wellington).

Once you cross the Intracoastal in that area, prices skyrocket, because we're talking about Palm Beach. The southern part of Singer Island, or the eastern side of the Intracoastal from Ocean Ridge through Gulf Stream are maybe possibilities without the commute getting too ridiculous, although you'll be missing out on some of the other things you wanted, and it's still very expensive. You can get a lot more for your money by staying on the west side of the Intracoastal, you can get the cultural aspects you're interested in within walking distance even, and you will still be in a very attractive area. You can also ride your bikes up and down the water on the west side of the Intracoastal.

Keep in mind, by the way, that in Palm Beach, you're not going to be riding your bikes on some path along the beach much anyway, and neither will you be able to access the beach except for a couple spots. There are often houses on the beach, so what you'd see in that direction instead is a large concrete wall with dense foliage behind it designed to hide the house from prying eyes. In the sections where you can ride along and see the beach, in Palm Beach, most of the beach is private--it's the property of the folks with the homes either on it or right across the road from it.

Last edited by TheLuckoftheDraw; 07-08-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach