Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:36 AM

59 posts, read 145,679 times

Advertisements

I also went to school in Brooklyn.

No pressure. Just want my kids around other driven kids who have goals and a desire to succeed and do their best...and not get caught up with negatives distractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 02:59 PM

143 posts, read 471,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateway142 View Post
I also went to school in Brooklyn.

No pressure. Just want my kids around other driven kids who have goals and a desire to succeed and do their best...and not get caught up with negatives distractions.
When you find that school fill me in ASAP!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchiamom View Post
I think if you have an Ivy League child then they will be Ivy League regardless of the school that they attend. I don't think parents 10-15-20 years ago were comparing high school stats like we do these days. Personally I know I don't have any idea what my freshman will score on his SATs and I'm not about to put pressure on him that he must attend an ivy league school....these kids have enough to deal with these days...
I agree that if a kid has Ivy League potential, the fact that he went to a high school that didn't make some esoteric magazine list isn't going to keep him out of the Ivy Leagues. Conversely, if your kid is a double-digit IQ moron and you want him to go to Duke, you better hope he can put a ball through a hoop -- going to a "ranked" high school ain't gonna get him there.

However, I'm curious what you mean by "kids have enough to deal with these days." When I was a kid/teenager, I didn't concern myself with much of anything except sports and girls. Life certainly wasn't hard at that age, and from my vantage point, it doesn't appear to have gotten harder for today's crop of t(w)eens.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:38 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Oh pimpy its awful for these tweens and teens...I have a 17 and 13 yr old for my son it's not bad but my daughter eesshhh If I had to be her age now I dont know what I would do....Middle School just sucks the kids suck it is just a very awkward age with hormones etc, Kids are mean yes they were mean when we were growing up but never did I encounter the garbage these kids today deal with its just sad....and if you look at when we grew up and now its Society that has changed I don't the problems changed so to speak...

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM

143 posts, read 471,915 times
I was referring exactly to what Swim said when I mentioned that kids these day have enough to deal with without the added pressure of college choices in middle school. Social media alone is disgusting IMO. I'm not even that "old" I wouldn't want to be a teen in this world today!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Oh pimpy its awful for these tweens and teens...I have a 17 and 13 yr old for my son it's not bad but my daughter eesshhh If I had to be her age now I dont know what I would do....Middle School just sucks the kids suck it is just a very awkward age with hormones etc, Kids are mean yes they were mean when we were growing up but never did I encounter the garbage these kids today deal with its just sad....and if you look at when we grew up and now its Society that has changed I don't the problems changed so to speak...
Middle school has always been like that. Used to be you dealt with the awkwardness for a couple years and emerged unscathed. None of my classmates committed suicide over being called fat/short/skinny/gay/stupid/ugly/etc. The way we dealt with bullies was with a swift Tyson haymaker to the side of the cranium.

The problem today isn't that bullying has gotten worse (though I will concede social media has added a new wrinkle) it is that kids are being raised WAY too soft. What happened to the days where the majority of elementary school kids took karate? What happened to pick-up tackle football games in the backyard with no pads? Fistfights followed by a handshake and becoming friends again? Nowadays, kids spend their afternoons inside, alone, in front of a TV/computer, commiserating about the litany of crimes committed against their souls that day. It's pathetic.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
PIMPY Awesome post and you are so right...if I tell you my daughters facebook page and these kids talking suicide because of their home life and not being liked or being ugly its insane and very sad...I had to intervene myself recently as normally I never do, however this girl made me a bit nervous my daughter is friends with her and well the mom had no idea of this and she was saying goodbye on facebook so I was going to contact the mom however another mom who knew this girl's mom personally called her to make her aware that her daughter wants to commit suicide..There is more but Social Media is a big problem in my opinion and the parents who do not monitor facebook who think not my kid well they need to pay more attention...

Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,264 times
Interesting dialog about two very good schools in two very good towns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach