Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,223 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are relocating to Palm Beach County and need advise please! Our children currently go to Catholic schools (in MD), but we were hoping to move to an area where the public schools are good. We have been told Binks Forest and Panther Run (both in Wellington) are good, but we can't seem to find a house to rent in those neighborhoods that fit our criteria. We are not against Catholic Schools in FL, but the websites for those schools list a very high student/teacher ratio. We do not have gifted and talented children, so we are not looking for an elite school per se, just one that is well run, smaller class sizes, and great teachers. So, any advise on schools (public and Catholic) is greatly appreciated! Also, any advise on great neighborhoods would be appreciated. We know it's hard to find, but we would like a house with a somewhat of a yard and a pool. So far we only know what we have been reading online and most of the other posts are a few years old. Some of the cities/towns we've looked at are: Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, Royal Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Jupiter. How do all these rank in regards to family friendly? We would prefer to live in a neighborhood that has mostly families with children (as opposed to retirement coummunites). I have read Lake Worth and Loxahatchee are no good, is this true? Thanks for any input, I know I'm asking a lot...just don't want to make a bad decision and have to move again in a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 07:39 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Wellington is probably the most family friendly area with good rated schools, lot's of parks and activities for kids. Sports, Swimming, Horses and etc.

Small class sizes are probably going to be hard to find here in the public school system, it's very populated here. The only way around this is private school, Kings Academy and etc just be prepared the cost can be anywhere from $10K to $25K/year here per student depending on what private school you pick. There's Wellington Christian School, not sure if you checked that out? They are around $10K/year per student. Not sure how people afford that on top of everything else, obviously are not working at Publix but King's Academy has their own buses.

Then the other thing, if your relocating here without a job, make sure you have one lined up prior. The market is not the greatest and salaries are not up to levels that they are in other high cost of living areas. Make sure to do a COL analysis prior to moving here, a lot of people move here without weighing things out and end up leaving in due time.

Rents, well the rental market is tight, it's going to be hard to find a rental. I can say expect to pay anywhere from $1800 to $2500 in Wellington for a nice single family home (if you can find one).

Also make sure you have enough funds to cover 1st/Last/Sec. Deposit of whatever amount it will be if you do by owner. Typically that's the norm here. So if you find a house for $2K/month, expect to have $6K in cash or in the bank to sign the lease.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM

66 posts, read 85,460 times
Most of these areas are highly populated with Wellington and Jupiter being on the outskirts. Jupiter a bit farther up the coast and has a less big city feel and a bit more space. I think prettier too becuase it is a smaller city. I can only attest to what others have said when I lived there, as to the school system but Wellington, RPB, and Jupiter would suit your request. Housing fluctuates greatly and it is a misconception as to the state being primarily elderly now. Check out the median age is some areas. There are many beautiful communities to find non elderly housing. Also in WPB and Boynton it is jammed packed with people.

Although you will find endless, stores and restaurants in each of these areas.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM

110 posts, read 173,993 times
Also, any advise on great neighborhoods would be appreciated. We know it's hard to find, but we would like a house with a somewhat of a yard and a pool. So far we only know what we have been reading online and most of the other posts are a few years old.

Hmm.. you have never visited any of these areas? There are homes for rent in many family oriented communities and the rents can vary from about $2K-$10K/month for a 3-4 bedroom house. IF I were renting a house, I'd probably give up the pool 'requirement' because most private pools are on the smallish size and not too useful for swimming to begin with; finding a house with a good size pool may prove to be more difficult. Please know, most developments have wonderful, well maintained community pools (kids love those), tennis courts, etc. There is a nice gated community in Palm Beach Gardens called 'Eastpointe'; 15 minutes to the beach and a few minutes to shopping. The homes there also have a fairly good sized lots.
Otherwise, unless you must live in the Palm Beach County, I would not rule out Martin County. Stuart is a nice little town, and from I read the school system is also good. But I am not qualified to comment on that. If you are living in the DC suburbs it will be a huge adjustment for you and the kids, regardless where you go. Believe me, I went thru it. Perhaps zooming on Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens and Stuart may be your safest choice. But again, I am not sure what your reason for moving to Florida is.
PS: I do not know Wellington. For me, it is just a little too far to the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach