Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:23 PM

31 posts, read 150,218 times

Advertisements

I am trying to research information about this preschool. If you know anything about it's reputation or other information, that would be great. Thank you. I am comparing it to Professional Learning Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:23 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
If you're looking for a true, accredited Montessori school--this is not it. If you are looking for daycare, then this could be the school for you. The two schools are very different. I am a Montessori teacher and I wouldn't put my kids in any Montessori school in Jupiter except Turtle River. My kids attended Professional Learning Center and although I was pleased with the curriculum, they have a lot of turn-over with head of school (they are on their third in the last two years). My friend still sends her children there and is happy but not over the moon. Pre-school in Jupiter leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:55 AM

31 posts, read 150,218 times
Thanks for the honest opinion. Sounds like Professional Learning Center is better. I was looking to go with a VPK school and I don't think Turtle River is...

Old 11-17-2007, 08:35 PM

It's not but if you want a good Montessori background for your child--go to Turtle River.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM
ruh

1 posts, read 8,281 times
This is a great school, I would suggest that you go and look at the facility and decide for your self. A tour will say a thousand words. Also, I disagree with the comment of "Jupiter leaves a lot to be desired" The town of Jupiter is in the top ten places to live in the United States and it has mostly "A" rated elementary schools and some of the top scoring VPK readiness rates for kindergarten in Palm Beach County. Hi-Tech Academy scored a perfect 300 at one of it's locations and ABC Montessori was right up there with a 265. I know many students that have graduated from both of these preschools with high reading and academic success. I would also recommend Christ The King School of the Arts for preschoolers in Tequesta. I also heard the Pre-K teacher at the Town Hall Hi-Tech Academy placed 2nd in the County as PreK teacher of the year. They have very little turn over. They have had the same teachers for over 5 years. Turtle River is a great school too, but very expensive. They do not accept VPK funding and specialize in elementary age students. I've heard they are not as warm and nurturing to little ones due to such a strict Montessori Environment. ABC has a reputation for placing the child first and the philosophy of Montessori second. The students are very happy and they also have very little turn over and small class sizes.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh View Post
This is a great school, I would suggest that you go and look at the facility and decide for your self. A tour will say a thousand words. Also, I disagree with the comment of "Jupiter leaves a lot to be desired" The town of Jupiter is in the top ten places to live in the United States and it has mostly "A" rated elementary schools and some of the top scoring VPK readiness rates for kindergarten in Palm Beach County. Hi-Tech Academy scored a perfect 300 at one of it's locations and ABC Montessori was right up there with a 265. I know many students that have graduated from both of these preschools with high reading and academic success. I would also recommend Christ The King School of the Arts for preschoolers in Tequesta. I also heard the Pre-K teacher at the Town Hall Hi-Tech Academy placed 2nd in the County as PreK teacher of the year. They have very little turn over. They have had the same teachers for over 5 years. Turtle River is a great school too, but very expensive. They do not accept VPK funding and specialize in elementary age students. I've heard they are not as warm and nurturing to little ones due to such a strict Montessori Environment. ABC has a reputation for placing the child first and the philosophy of Montessori second. The students are very happy and they also have very little turn over and small class sizes.
If you re-read my post, you will realize that I was not insulting the town of Jupiter at all. I was making a comment regarding the lack of quality pre-schools in the Jupiter area. Just because a town is rated high quality to live and has A-rated schools does not always mean it has excellent pre-schools. Jupiter has come a long way in the last 10 years with rapid growth. And now it's pre-schools are starting to catch up! The original conversation was comparing a Montessori school without the VPK program to a regular pre-school/daycare center with VPK.

My original comment continues to be: Don't assume that a school adheres to Dr. Maria Montessori's tenets just because it has Montessori in its name. Do your due diligence. Visit the schools. Ask questions. after all, your child's future is at stake. And as a Montessori teacher, I take offense to your comment that Montessori is strict, cold and not nurturing. You obviously have not observed a great Montessori class.

I think it's admirable that you have done the research and know what's going on with scoring and placement . It's been awhile since I toured the Montessori schools in Jupiter but they've must have changed in the last four years. When I looked four years ago, I would only consider Turtle River. ABC must have made huge strides. I noticed that they're now initiate members in AMS and they weren't even considering that when I visited. I wouldn't even consider a school that didn't have credentialed teachers (and ABC only had 1 credentialed teacher 4 years ago).

Old 05-17-2008, 04:26 PM

62 posts, read 221,896 times
my son was kicked out of 4 schools before hi tech academy.i put him in the vpk there,and they were the only school that didnt turn their back on him....even our church did.the teachers there are wonderful,and the curriculum is good,and its clean.the teachers and director were very sympathetic to my situation and my sons.i am a single mom, and my son had some behavioural issues,but they really went the extra mile to help him. i can tell you to stay away from home away from home.good luck!i cant remember if it was abc montessori my son went to.....whats the address?is it donald ross road?i can tell u all about that one, too.oh, and jupiter academy is very good as well.ask me,ive had encounters with them all over the past 2 years....u can dm me if u want...

Old 06-29-2008, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,198 times
Lets just say i know someone who used to work for the "school" of abc. They weren't even giving a positive reccommendation when the worked there! I have heard terrible stories about abc and the high tech school workers. They swap their teachers from school to school constantly, and nothing is ever steady for the children there. (I believe the owner has 6 or more schools.. 2 in tequesta and 3 in jupiter and a high tech off Northlake) I have heard stories of how the workers shame the children when they have "potty accidents", stories of how "teachers" will get moved to one of her other schools when cought doing something wrong such as yelling at children, instead of being terminated. Stories of teachers being forcefull with the young children when forcing them to sit in time out. HORROR STORIES! A tour of your childs daycare, or potential daycare is NOT ENOUGH! You need to do surprise visits! But my friend also said she has witnessed teachers at these particular schools being loud with the children then suddenly soften their tone when a parent walks in the room, thus proving they know they are in the wrong. And to disagree with one of the other comments below, the school very much does have a high turn over rate! Teachers are being changed constantly at the school. you might have a few here or there that have actually been there a year of more. Long story short, I would NOT reccommend this chain of daycares to anyone. Frankly I think this owner needs to stop purchasing *new schools and worry about spending more time fixing the ones she has! I also reccommend looking for a daycare which has live feed video camera's where you can check in on your child at anytime... You know that your child is getting what he or she needs when you can see it. I had my child in a daycare like that, and it 100% took a load off my mind! I beg everyone to be strictly and obsessivly involved in your childs daycare, as I once was a worker in childcare myself, I know how scary they can be from the inside. They are very deceptive, which brings me to my point that being able to view your children on a secured site on the internet is an amazing idea, and should be made mandatory for all schools!

Old 06-29-2008, 04:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Well if you don't use Montessori I wouldn't worry about it. No offense to the Montessori instructor here, but my son attended Montessori for 3 years pre 1st grade. The entire time he had reversals and other classic signs of developmental lags and disorders. He even used to hold things with this wierd grip of ring finger and thumb.

All Montessori instructors assured me it was nothing. A "boy" thing. Stupid me, first time mother and 30 years old believed them. Sure enough it continued through his subsequent non Montessori schools, nobody wanted to address the basics throughout 1st grade and 2nd when they started really COMPLAINING to me, the parent ,about his "penmanship". (I threw the cursive book in the trash at that point and had to go to the school board).

I had him tested (on my money even though by law the school is required to) and he had several developmental lags and issues especially in fine motor. It was a nightmare fight with the schools for the rest of his career. This was from the late 80's he is 28 now. It is more common now, but not then.

Every IEP was a huge fight and in high school I had to take him out of math because the teacher decided he didn't believe in IEP and any of this new fangled LAW that protected the kid from idiots like him. He did math at home via tutor.

It is my strong belief that the Montessori system of independent activity and very little true clinical observation just ingrained his weaknesses. Further, this business about (from what I remember) self correcting or whatever is bull.

Going from mat to mat doing anything any old way just reinforced the reversals and other "mistakes". Finally in THIRD GRADE the professional I found through the clinical psychologist had to work with him for months to RETEACH him some learning skills and techniques. Such as "When you have to write a b or d you put your hand in this [certain position with the thumbs touching] and this is a bed. The one on the left is the b and the one on the right is a d"

Actual USEFUL tools.

No, Montessori didn't cause his problems, his father had the exact same thing, but they sure didn't do their job in recognizing and caring about such obvious and classic problems that were very hard to correct. And made his career as a student difficult. A shame, really, he tested with a 150 I.Q. and always loved learning and school until reality hit and the teachers treated him as if he was just too LAZY to do things "right"....like stupid cursive as if I care about cursive

No matter which school you chose my advise is stay right on top of every single thing. Don't accept anything that offends your sensibilities as the mom. And I can't believe that there is such a thing as a town's "pre schools leaving much to be desired" if that means they are not advanced enough. If it means they are harmful, then don't send him and find somewhere else that might not be great but not harmful. Your child will learn with parental involvement, modeling, enthusiasm and shut off the tv LOL.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM

62 posts, read 221,896 times
i like sunshine tree montessori off don ross just past 95.the owner mrs hoff was and still is a child psychologist and is very active in participation and grades of the children.it is tucked away in the woods and a little house.a true little montessorri for little guys.religion is somewhat important there as well.they weave a little into the curriculum...like songs and such, and the teachers are/were so kind and caring....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach