Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 AM

66 posts, read 202,523 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Due to family health issues, I wasn't able to spend time planning much for our visit here. We are a family of 4, with 10 and 7 year old daughters, visiting WPB from out of state for a couple of weeks.

So far we've been to Palm Beach beach (and people here have recommending Lake Worth beach so we'll do that). Also heard of Dinger ISland beach - is that would good for families, not too crazy crowded buit woth some amenities?

What things are worth doing within a 2 hour drive (so we dont have to pay for a hotel elsewhere), un less you think it's worth it - we are not unwilling)?

Where might we see alligators/crocodiles? Should we visit the Everglades and how do you do that (just drive through part of it)? Or is there somewhere closer?

Should we drive to Miami? What is there that children would like (I've been to Coral Gables and Vizcaya before my girls say they are not interested in fancy architecture.)

We will be looking for things to do starting tomorrow, and I'm kind of stressed that I have no idea what we might do. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,133 times
Depending on how much you want to spend look into Lion Country Safari. Not 100% sure where it is located as I am only familiar with Broward Cty. really. We have family & friends with kids & they love the place.

Hopefully other more familiar with area will chime in to help. There are airboat rides in Everglades but not sure where in West Palm you can go. There is Everglades Holiday Park which we took people to when they visited us as we lived right near it. That is located in western Broward at the western end of Griffin Rd. Keep in mind that it will likely be very hot & humid & buggy on the water in the everglades!! We got all bitten up when we went. That is only true safe way to see alligators. Would be bored just driving around everglades with kids in car & probably would go nuts as it is isolated.

There is a lot to do & you will be able to keep the kids busy I hope. We don't have kids so can't tell you as much as people with kids can.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
Wow, I made a huge post I guess it was lost.

Anyway, Lion Country Safari is great. It's not just a drive- thru preserve, there is also a large park with rides, etc.
And yes, there are gators, and the girls can feed the giraffes. Visit their site for a coupon.

You won't see any crocodiles in WP in the wild, but we do have plenty of gators. Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray, Green Cay Wetlands are 2 good places to see wildlife. It is possible to go there and not see any gators, unfortunately.
I've never been disappointed, though.
They're both free with the boardwalks open every day. Wako closes at 7:30 but GC lets you stay almost till sunset. Sometimes they have "owl prowls" at night, but those fill up fast.

Birders and photographers come from all over the world for the viewing opportunities there. At the moment, Wakodahatchee seems to have the most activity of the two, and it is a smaller, more intimate place. No visitor center, though. Restrooms, yes.

Green Cay does have a visitor's center with baby gators and other exhibits. They also have kid's activities. They have a site with the hours, etc.

These places have boardwalks; you are safe from the alligators. It's fun for the kids when a gator swims right under you.

Grassy Waters Preserve in WP is also another wetland area with boardwalks, etc. Kids' activities are listed on their site.

Loxahatchee A.R.M. Wildlife Refuge in Delray has a virtual airboat tour, and other exhibits. If you want to walk around there and look for wildlife in the impoundments, you must be patient and it is hot. The Cypress Boardwalk near the visitors center is nice, too.

I believe there are airboat rides available from a private concern near the Hillsboro entrance of the Refuge.

Also, Bedner's Farm market next to the refuge entrance has weekend activities.

Riverbend park in Jupiter.

Jonathan Dickenson State Park in Jupiter has tour boats down the Loxahatchee River, with a stop at Trapper Nelson's.

The River Center, off of US1 just north of Indiantown Rd is a fascinating place dedicated to the Loxahatchee River.
There are large aquariums and exhibits. Some are hands-on.
If you go to loxahatcheeriver.org there is a schedule of animal feedings and stuff. No reservations required.

Loggerhead Marine Life Center in Juno is a great place for kids, too. They are passionate about sea turtles, and the girls might love that.

MacArthur Beach State Park in Jupiter is one of my favorites. Also, Blowing Rocks Preserve is cool, too.

The Everglades is definitely worth a visit, but personally I wouldn't go down there without staying over night. That's just me. That's where you can see crocs and gators together.

I was a 6 yr old tomboy when we started coming to Florida. I just wanted the swamp, the beach, and the gators lol.

There is also Butterfly World off of Sample Rd in Broward. Their site has a coupon as well.

If you go out west on Forest Hill Blv. there is Okeeheelee Park. You can rent paddleboats (that you peddle) There are no gators in those lakes (supposedly) Also, the Nature Center there has animals on display. Most often there's a screech owl hanging out by the cash register.

There is also the Palm Beach Zoo.

There is also the Museum of Discovery and Science in Ft Lauderdale. Great place, and the IMAX theater isn't bad. The EcoDiscovery Center is great. Check out the site and you will want to go!! It's like all the other places rolled into one (except for the actual outdoor part, of course I still like all the other visitor centers, etc though.
The airboat ride gets filled fast and is crowded, usually.
The Goosebumps/Science of Fear exhibit they have now is fun for the kids. I've heard complaints about interactive exhibits being broken. If you are a Bank of America customer, you get in free first weekend of the month, I think.

I haven't been to Singer Island in years but will be heading up there later today.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-04-2014 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach