Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 PM

42 posts, read 82,562 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of threads looking at the two areas. I've visited both several times, and like both. I see differences in each, and certainly pros and cons in both Jupiter and Sarasota. I'd like to ask for some opinions from any locals based upon our specific criteria of what we're trying to accomplish:
  • Large young family likely leaning toward private/religious school
  • Proximity to decent airport (excellent isn't a must)
  • Prefer smaller town feel, less touristy
  • Would like to own land if possible (horses)
  • Very much enjoy boating
  • We try to be outdoors as much as possible with the kids
  • Finance business catering to upper end wealthy clients

On most of these issues, my own experience leans one way or the other on the individual items - Sarasota or Jupiter. We have a family member in Tampa, which throws a curve in the decision, as well. We'd like enough space/acreage to potentially have a guest house/in-laws quarters for grandparents to spend extended time.

The eastern part of Sarasota has a good amount of 5 acre + properties, reasonably priced. Jupiter Farms is the equivalent, which some love, and others feel equally negative about.

The proximity to TPA airport, the city of Tampa/St. Pete, and it's offerings are all big pluses to me. The beach is nicer. The water is calmer for boating.

Jupiter is far less touristy. It feels like a small town, especially compared to Sarasota. Far fewer condo high rises. The ICW is right there, making boating quickly accessible (as I'm sure it is in Sarasota). Fishing is big game. Clientele most likely trends upward for my business on the east coast.

I believe I saw real estate taxes were lower in Sarasota (quite lower), as are home prices. This is compared to Jupiter, of course. Seasonal traffic is worse in Sarasota, of course.

"Things to do"? Presumably Sarasota would offer more, depending on what we choose. But Jupiter is no slouch, with proximity to WPB.

This has become quite a difficult decision, and the standard, "go spend time there" solution has already been tried. I'm curious from locals, especially those who may have spent time in both locations, what pros and cons I may be missing.

I appreciate your time and thoughts. I'll post in the Sarasota forum as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 05:01 PM

355 posts, read 913,870 times
I've lived in Jupiter since 1979 and have no real knowledge of the West Coast other than a quick weekend there.

Palm Beach Country Estates ( in Palm Beach Gardens) would offer you what you are looking for. It's just South of Jupiter (basically in Jupiter, but not incorporated). The homes there tend to be a little newer and CBS construction. Many have in-law suites/quarters. Most have city water, I believe Jupiter Farms is well water which is problematic for staining everything. PBCE seems to have more of a white collar crowd than JF.
Check zip code 33418.

The East coast tends to have a lot of seasonal people and transplants from NJ,NY, CT. I don't know where you are coming from, but the visitors here during winter can be less than desirable to downright awful if you don't know how to give it back to them. My husband is from NJ, so I can take it.

I think the private school offerings here are great.

Jupiter can be pretty boring if you are not into horses, golf or water sports. There is little culture unless you head South to WPB, which isn't far but not next door either.

If you need a referral for a Real Estate agent, a good friend of mine would be a great resource to put you in touch with. He just lost his full-time job, so he'd treat you like gold

Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM

96 posts, read 188,447 times
You have chosen 2 of my favorite areas. I live in Jupiter and love that the town and the county put a premium on open space. Jupiter is close to 95% build-out so there won't be much more development. However, there is a fair amount of redevelopment. Some love the redevelopment others don't like to see their town change. There is culture here. Maltz Theatre puts on some great show and the Lighthouse Museum has some wonderful exhibits. There are art festivals iin Abacoa and Juno Beach. Live music at the Square Grouper and Guanabanas.

Been to Sarasota a couple of times. It is a beautiful town. I prefer to live on the east coast for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps what would help you decide is where your business is. Maybe live in Jupiter, vacation in Sarasota or any of the quiet towns on the west coast.

Mod edit

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 01-10-2015 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Removed realtor comments

Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 AM

46 posts, read 52,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailmarcarelli View Post
Been to Sarasota a couple of times. It is a beautiful town. I prefer to live on the east coast for a variety of reasons.
Mod edit
Gail, could you provide those reasons here? I would like to know for my own information gathering.
Thanks

Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 PM

130 posts, read 214,041 times
Is there more to do on the east coast than the west coast?

Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM

96 posts, read 188,447 times
Saranshay, it depends on where you are on either coast. Of course Miami/Fort Lauderdale has a lot going on. West Palm Beach a little less and the further north you go the quieter it gets until you reach Jacksonville. The west coast has the Tampa/St Pete area, which is close to Sarasota.

And, sharepoint128, pretty sure I prefer the east coast because there is more of a hustle and bustle urban thing happening here. Some may not like that but I grew up in Boston and it is kind of in my blood. Also prefer the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach