Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 04:49 PM

116 posts, read 175,036 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I posted in 2014 about places to live and have continued to do research...and some posts...it appears our potential move has now become more real with my husband going on Florida Job interviews.

I have been all over the county on Zillows..and my heart loves what I see in places like Flamingo Park... but then I read all sorts of conflicted info...We had on one visit driven by some houses in Old Northwood, and the houses were wonderful the surounding neighborhood not too good.

What are your opinions?

Should I give up on charm, etc. and go for a mass built community?
Does anyone know of other areas that might have a bit more personality?

we have a $600,000 high point.... but there is some play in that
We need something not considered in a flood zone...

Please any thoughs are helpful...coming down again to house hunt..... within 2 weeks.... I can't bare looking at more gated communities.

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Sent you a DM.

I like where I live a lot. I have some great neighbors and the community really cares about itself.

Of course, I may not be objective, as I've lived in Flamingo Park since 2008. I am also a litigator often involved in HOA and condo lawsuits, which has me majorly turned me off of "master planned" and "gated" communities.

A 600k price point gets you the top of the inventory in Flamingo Park right now.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:41 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasadora View Post
Hello All,

I posted in 2014 about places to live and have continued to do research...and some posts...it appears our potential move has now become more real with my husband going on Florida Job interviews.

I have been all over the county on Zillows..and my heart loves what I see in places like Flamingo Park... but then I read all sorts of conflicted info...We had on one visit driven by some houses in Old Northwood, and the houses were wonderful the surounding neighborhood not too good.

What are your opinions?

Should I give up on charm, etc. and go for a mass built community?
Does anyone know of other areas that might have a bit more personality?

we have a $600,000 high point.... but there is some play in that
We need something not considered in a flood zone...

Please any thoughs are helpful...coming down again to house hunt..... within 2 weeks.... I can't bare looking at more gated communities.

thanks in advance
How big a house do you need? Check out East Delray, just south of West Palm. There's a neighborhood east of Swinton and north of Atlantic called Historic Del Ida Park. Small, cute historic homes. Some are not kept in that great of shape, but the area is turning over fast and being renovated. It's walking distance to Pineapple Grove and Atlantic Ave. You may be also be able to find something just to the west of Swinton in a neighborhood called Lake Ida. However, my observation of Lake Ida is that those are larger homes and generally more expensive. Both areas very charming.

Overall, you have to get use to hard breaks in FL neighborhoods. If you want more continuity check out Abacoa/Jupiter. It is master-planned without the harsh breaks. You can find something in Abacoa without the gates and shut-in feeling. Lacks the charm of Flamingo, but it is safe, newer, affordable, has sidewalks and is generally the same throughout without the quick transitions to rough spots. Abacoa is about 25 min. north of West Palm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach