Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times

Advertisements

OP, this should make you feel better. I can't wait to get out of here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 01:28 PM

239 posts, read 474,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I feel bad that you feel the way you do, but I got news for you New York City is going in the crapper. Give it some time, and a plane flight to Florida is less then 3 hours away so you can see your family...

Why do you say it is going to the crapper?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:50 PM

18 posts, read 22,914 times
Moving is hard no matter where you go Keep your head up and try to adapt. A positive attitude and healthy life choices helps. You are very new in your move. It will get better. P.S. Winter will be lovely.

-- Seasoned mover

Old 09-16-2015, 06:47 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
I have friends in Florida and one of them l-o-v-e-s NY and really hates Florida because of the hot weather. When I was visiting them he was going on, and on, and on and on....how wonderful the snow and it was truly amazing how someone could love snow that much And he really enjoyed the snow they had last year and delayed coming down because of it. I can not accept the fact someone can enjoy snow that much~!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:56 AM

31 posts, read 57,498 times
Default Re:

Sorry you feel bad. I moved 5.5 years ago from New York (served my "time" in Queens and Nassau). It was tough at first because I had no friends, but I am a little older and have a wife and kids.

To be fair to South Florida, what if you had moved to Nevada, Arizona, California? My bet is that you would have the exact same feelings. Homesickness is common. If there is any place where a North Easterner could fit in - it is here.

Personally, I hate New York. It's expensive and the weather sucks. Were you not there last winter? It was perfect here - everyday!

Traffic is a total nightmare in the tri-state area. Cross-Bronx is a parking lot masquerading as a highway. LIRR, which I used, is a joke. New York is dirty and it's regressing back to how it was in the 70's and 80's with things like visible homelessness, public urination, etc. I go back 3-5 times per year for my business and I hate it more each time.

Finally, when/if you have kids, Florida is an absolute no-brainer, unless you're making $200k/year in NY.

With all this said, I will never change my New York cell number and I will always consider myself a New Yorker. It's impossible to get a good bagel or pizza in Florida because the water is gross and in general, unless you're in Miami, the food sucks down here.

But that's what makes NY a cool place to visit, and likewise, a terrible place to live.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:44 AM

77 posts, read 104,760 times
I went back home for a 3 week visit to the North and it made me realize how I had some wonderful things to enjoy in my new home in the South. Maybe you need to go back for a visit. I get really homesick for my family, but i can talk to them on the phone and do so more than I did when I lived there, and I know I can always take a trip there if I really want a visit.
I just found that going back was a reality check and took the 'romance' out of my memories of my former home in the North, and how far we had come in order to move to the sunny south.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:58 AM

22 posts, read 19,978 times
Florida is wonderful if you like the never ending heat and humidity, no season's to look forward to and the flat, boring landscape. Yes, there are beautiful beaches but you can't enjoy them in the summer, it's too hot. We don't even go boating in the summer because of the oppressive heat. I can't wait to get out of here in 2 yrs when I retire. I'm from NY, won't go back there because I simply can't afford it so I'm looking at somewhere in between, such as North or South Carolina.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:11 PM

19 posts, read 33,821 times
Default No place is best

People move for many reasons.For most i would say its the weather.People dont move from florida to New York its the other way around.But if you dont like heat and humidity dont move anywhere down south.Talking about movim
ngto the carolinas,have you ever been there in the summer,Ive been to both numerous times and i will take florida over the carolinas in the summer any day.Charleston is like a giant sauna.These arguments have been going on for ever.Everyone has there own preferances,you just have to find what one likes and go for it.If one likes cold,dreary,gray,snowy,damp weather most of the year your best bet is the northeast.If one likes sunny,hot,humid,the south is your cup of tea no one can answer this for you.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie1214 View Post
Florida is wonderful if you like the never ending heat and humidity, no season's to look forward to and the flat, boring landscape. Yes, there are beautiful beaches but you can't enjoy them in the summer, it's too hot. We don't even go boating in the summer because of the oppressive heat. I can't wait to get out of here in 2 yrs when I retire. I'm from NY, won't go back there because I simply can't afford it so I'm looking at somewhere in between, such as North or South Carolina.

In others words you will be a half-back.....NY to FLA to N.C. or S.C.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:17 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria0719 View Post
I thought moving to Florida would be somewhat of an adventure. My fiance and i recently got engaged. As soon as he proposed i had to make the daunting decision to make the big move to Southern Florida with him. He was relocating his business and his staff from NY was coming with him. Im only 27. My family and friends are a huge source in my happiness. I love New York. Its my roots and i never planned on leaving it. Being a full time student in the teaching career i knew leaving NY would also take me away from my schooling and i would have to back pedal a bit here in my education. With my back against a wall i made the choice to come here. And now im living with the choice i made and having a hard time. School doesnt start for another three weeks. The whole summer has put me in bit of a dark place and depression. Having more free time than i know what to do with, and no one to spend my days with has been so hard. Usually if this happened in NY i could call up a friend or family member. Hell, i would even go on hikes alone. I never felt depressed in NY. Here iam. First time in my life where i have researcged depression and diagnoised myself with it.
Im a very active person. I stay in shape. I eat healthy. I love animals. So for the most part i keep busy in the gym, i find cycling classes, i've volunteered at a local animal rescue. I cook a lot. But all those things are done alone and out of my comfort zone. When they're done i feel bored, restless and lonely. Has anyone been in this situation before? Or anyone who can relate to it? The hardest part i'm finding is finding a way to pull myself out of the rut and COMMITTING to it. If anyone can shed some light on this or some positive insight i would greatly appreciate it.
I hope you're feeling better. I went through something similar when I moved to Atlanta many, many years ago (I ended-up moving back to the NY area). I would say the big thing I did wrong in hindsight was stay to myself and keep communicating with friends back home. It made things worse to hear everything they were doing. In hindsight I should've made every effort to connect to the new place where I was living. I should've made new friends and found new things to do in the area instead of dwelling on what I used to do back home. Later in life I moved again and that is exactly what I did and it made a huge difference. I believe you can make new friends and find local things of interest to do (like tennis or running). With all that said, depression is a painful experience. However, you should know that it will lift. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen overnight and that is what is insidious about depression. It convinces you that things will never be the same. That is the false message of depression. You WILL start feeling like your old self again. Laughing, smiling and eager to do things. Please be patient with yourself and find ways to connect with your new home. Be fearless in your efforts to make new friends and to enjoy the things that south Florida offers (food, beaches, outdoor activities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach