Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I think the hurricanes are getting rude too!!
In all seriousness, I agree 100%, they really are! One after the other after the other coming off of Cape Verde...and no, it's not just South FL, it's also North FL and Georgia and the Carolinas getting threatened as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Prepared and fine.....

I think we will get wind and rain from Hanna. Hope Ike stays far away

Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
One of the things I've hated the most about living here is hurricane season and after going through the 3 mentioned by mkearns I do tend to freak out some, only I haven't really been watching the news, it's like part of me doesn't want to know.

I'm not a FL native but I grew up in the tropics and had already gone through one major hurricane (David) which was followed shortly by another that I believe reduced to a tropical storm when it hit us BUT destroyed what David didn't but had left "loose". It was such a horrible experience then that I never wanted to go through it again, yet I've been "chosen" to go through 3 more. I sure hope there is a limit in life because I fee I've had more than my share!

nkotb, I can't for the life of me understand why you'd rather put up with hurricanes rather than a snow storm which can't cause the devastation a hurricane does. I went through "The Blizzard of '96" in DE and the inconvenience we had to put up with was minimal in comparison. I'm sure that if instead of Wilma you'd had to put up with both Frances and Jeanne you wouldn't be saying this. Also, if you'd suffered any property damage you'd probably not feel the way you do now. As a renter I didn't have to go through that but we did get water in the L/R and the company that managed the apartments was very cavalier about it. My mold allergy became worse and we were forced to look for another place to move to, and because so many people were in similar situation my children and I ended up in a neighborhood that has been going from bad to worse.

So, after living here for 11 years and not seeing the fun ($$) of having to use a/c at least 8 months out of the year, regretting all the negative changes that have affected the area and hating "hurricane season" (7 long months!) among other things, moving to another state that has the 4 seasons doesn't seem so bad to me anymore. It really takes being on both sides of the fence to realize where the grass is actually greener!

Last edited by TiredOfSFL; 09-02-2008 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
... I don't understand how anyone could live down here let alone want to move here! I just don't understand.. Is anyone else freaking out about these storms??
Anywhere and everywhere there are challenges in life.

In exchange for warm weather in the tropics, one has to dodge the hail of bullets, so to speak, brought on by hurricanes. Other regions pose the challenges of tornadoes, earthquakes, flooding, extreme cold, high cost of living, high taxes, bad government, etc.

Florida has a unique geographical position in the United States, with respect to both its domestic counterparts and its role in international trade and migration.

To be sure, growth over the past several years has outstripped capacity, but this has been the case throughout the world.

Right now the situation is volatile, the pace has reversed, but it should find a new equilibrium.

In the new environment, maintaining most "modern" forms of home ownership in the most popular regions of Florida requires a more sophisticated level and degree of economic means.

The only way for a return to the Florida of the 1950s-1990s period is a shutdown of international trade and migration.

This is possible, though unlikely. Nonetheless, the pace set in the 2003-2007 has reversed, the outlook is for slow growth, and I would not expect another boom for 10-20 years.

In the meantime, to be sure, if one does not have the means to protect one's main asset in Florida, the dwelling - through both physical protection and financial means (enough income and proper insurance) - then one should not live here.

A category five or higher could come sweeping through the state one day, leaving the catastrophic destruction of towns and cities or even a few counties in its wake, but it wouldn't be the first time in history that a major population center has been destroyed by nature (Pompei and Antioch to take two examples from the pre-industrial world).

If so, then so be it: it rains equally on the just and the unjust, but if in the meantime you have loved God and family, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by bale002; 09-03-2008 at 01:57 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When it is time to act I will act. We keep plenty of water in the house so we don't have to scrable for it when a storm approaches. I am concerned but freaking out doesnt change anything, it just adds stress.
What she said...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Mildly concerned, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Just going to keep an eye on it, and act accordingly when necessary.
I agree with TriMT7!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:49 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
We are prepared, so I just don't sweat it. Our house has all Hurricane windows, strong doors/garage door and we have water, flashlights, small generator, canned goods, cash and propane should we get hit with a REALLY bad storm.

I lived in SoCal for 6 years. The fires there were the scariest thing I ever went through. It was like the end of the world.
Hurricanes? Eh.
If you live down here your whole life you WILL get hit on the head by one and G*d forgive you if you are not prepared. But most of the time it's just a 2 week nuisance at worst.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
IKE IS NOW A CATEGORY 3. IKE will be the storm of pure destruction wherever he hits. Good luck everyone !

Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
IKE IS NOW A CATEGORY 3. IKE will be the storm of pure destruction wherever he hits. Good luck everyone !

Blah blah blah...

Where are my 2 favorite goonz tonight? I finally stop in to say 'hello' and you're all out partying on a Weds night? I must be getting old.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,684 times
Unlike Lousianna; Florida is flat and by the ocean...designed to withstand centuries of typhoons. high rises? dont ask me

why not by a surf board and collect some seashells after the storm...you'll be amazed at what washes up!

I know it sounds cruel but; I'd one day like to experience the eye of a hurricane during the day..i always gotten the outer bands or missed the eye by a few miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach