Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,255 times

Advertisements

I'm researching the pros and cons of being on the East (Palm Beach County) or West (Tampa area) coast. According to weather.com, Tampa area has a very high risk of severe flooding if a hurricane hits the area (although Tampa has not been hit by the recent hurricanes). On the other hand, Tampa seems a better choice for Tech jobs availability. Temperature averages on Tampa area seem to be a little cooler (I know, stil hot ) than Palm Beach area.

Any thoughts to help me decide? Schools are not a top priority for me, no kids.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:03 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
I'm surprised that temperature averages are cooler in Tampa. It's possible that temperatures are cooler over there, but I doubt you will feel as cool as the East coast. The East coast benefits from cool off-shore breezes in the Summer, and warm off-shore breezes in the Winter (warmed by the Gulf Stream). I'll mention it only because it confused me for years, but "off-shore" means that the breezes are starting off shore, over the Ocean, and blowing onto the land. My Mother lived in Seminole, FL (next to St. Pete, very near Madeira Beach) for years, which is a lot closer to the Gulf of Mexico than Tampa, and she was miserably hot in the Summer because there was little breeze. After I finally convinced her to move to the East coast (about 50 miles north of West Palm Beach), she agreed that it was much more comfortable over here.

High tech jobs are coming; the Scripps Institute has just signed final agreements with Palm Beach County to build new bio-tech research facilities in the area. In California, their research led to many spin-off and associated companies which are at the cutting edge of technology. The Burnham Institute is also looking at Port St. Lucie to locate their new bio-tech facilities; our area (PSL) is in competition with an area near Orlando, but we're believed to have the better chance of getting them. The entire area between West Palm Beach and Fort Pierce looks like it's about to explode with hi-tech jobs. Two other companies with "technology" in their names have recently (within the past 2 weeks) announced plans to move to the area.

Besides, the West coast is more crowded and has the reputation of being more for the old folks. There are some neat restaurants over there, because old folks eat out a lot.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:09 AM

Great information thank you i was also surprised when I saw the averages & records on weather.com. In one of my trips to Florida (end of May a few years ago) I stayed a week on the east coast and then drove to Tampa. It was so much warmer in Tampa, I was miserable.

As far as your info about tech jobs, that's excellent news, I really want to be on the east coast but I was a little concerned with the (current) small amount of tech jobs there.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:32 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
Some more information about hi tech in the area. Up in Fort Pierce, at Inidan Rver Community College, millions of dollars were spent on the recently completed Kight Center for Advanced Technologies. It is so cutting edge, it's reported that it has no equal in the education world. It was recently mentioned by President Bush in a speech about advancements in education: “Indian River Community College in Florida is opening a new center to provide cutting-edge training in robotics, lasers, and photonic technology."

Our best friends' daughter is married to the director of the center, who has spent the past several years plannng and implementing the center. Many of the problems were first worked out at a smaller Clark Center for Emerging Technologies at an IRCC satellite campus on Stuart, FL. IRCC also has the Wolf Center for Advanced Technology for the study of audio visual techniques. and a new Health Technologies Center. Many people consider IRCC the best community college in the state. They partner with Florida Atlantic Univ in Port St. Lucie to grant advanced degrees.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 PM

112 posts, read 364,563 times
More crowded on the west coast?? Every time I'm in Miama/Fort Lauderdale/WP I'm miserable because of the traffic. And real estate is more expensive over there. Granted, US 19 in Clearwater at rush hour is no treat, but overall it's not bad. I think overall traffic on both sides can be bad, just depends...

I'm near the coast just north of Tampa. We get a decent breeze year round. Summer is hot anywhere in Florida - accept that fact now. I'm near the west coast and also get a breeze. Maybe that's why there are always storms over the middle of the state?

In terms of jobs, psloldtimer is correct that you'll an overall better shot at landing a job in the SE as opposed to Tampa. That's not to say they don't exist, but there are probably overall more down there.

People-wise, the east coast seems to attract US east coast (NY, NJ, etc) people and the west coast more from the midwest and other places. We have plenty of NY accents on the west coast though. And it's more Hispanic in Miami, which trails off as you go further north.

That's my .02!

Last edited by cltsig; 06-21-2006 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-22-2006, 12:04 AM

24 posts, read 184,261 times
Default I prefer the West Coast

I am a native Floridian. I grew up in Naples. I now live in Spring Hill, Florida. I lived in Boyton Beach and Homestead, Fl (outskirt of Miami). I hate the east coast. The floor of the Atlantic is gross..and the beaches are pretty filthy. It is a different kind of lifestyle. I am 36 years old. Not too old where I want to sit at home and crochet and still young enough to want to go out dancing or check out a "Taking Back Sunday" concert. No question night life in Coconut Grove and South Beach are awesome...but they are also a little twisted as well...you might as well live in New York, New York on Broadway. On the west coast you can have the best of both worlds. Great Nightlife in Ybor City or Ft. Myers Beach, Clearwater Beach, Downtown Tampa and nice white sandy beaches, great neighborhoods, clean living. There are a ton of younger adults that live all over the place. Figure out what is best for you and your lifestyle.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:29 AM

What is the closest location to Tampa that is gator-free?

Reason I am asking is because a friend of mine moved to Tampa and then moved out a few months later, he said his house was surrounded by gators..

Old 06-22-2006, 05:56 AM

23 posts, read 117,620 times
If your looking into Med Tech positions a good place to look is All Children's in St Petersburg. Supposedly they have 13 openings. I work at a sister hospital up north and it's great work and good people.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 AM

112 posts, read 364,563 times
Closest location to Tampa w/o gators is probably Athens, GA.

Gators aren't really a threat. Don't swim in ponds, don't dangle your feet over the edge of a pond, be smart and it's fine. Don't let the media scare you. There are millions of people in Florida and 3 people were killed by alligators this year. One was snorkeling, one was dangling her feet over the edge of a pond. Don't sweat it, seriously. Unless your friend lived in a swamp, I don't see how his house could have been surrounded.

Personally, I think it's cool to have gators around. They were there first.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:10 AM

24 posts, read 184,261 times
Default Ridiculous!

House surrounded by gators?!?! Ridiculous. Of course we have alligators...it is Florida! But they don't bother you until :

1. Mating season
2. Someone starts feeding them
3. Someone does something really stupid i.e."Reaches down to pet them"

Again, 36 years I have lived in Floirda and we have one time where an alligator was in our front yard. You call animal control or police...they get rid of it for you. No problem. If you don't want alligators...don't move anywhere near water of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach