Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both places? I've come to really love the Bay Area (especially St. Pete) over the past 7+ years I've lived here, but everytime I've gone and stayed in South Florida, I've loved it. Particularly Northern Palm Beach County, Martin county, and Fort Lauderdale. I love the more tropical feel, things seem a little more modern, and outside of the "South Florida Met" it's pretty darned laid back.

I'd hate to move down there and be dissapointed. If you've lived in both places, can you compare? Pros and Cons vs each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,082,250 times
They always seemed really similar to me. Places like Palm Beach have a lot more money than anywhere else in Florida (or in most parts of the world!) so there is that. There is still a lot of poverty in PBC though.

PBC is still a young county and is not as old as places like Tampa or Orlando or Miami so the buildings are newer and the neighborhoods aren't as entrenched. Lots of people always moving in and out, I think you see that less when you go further north in FL.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM

85 posts, read 272,117 times
As a visitor to Tampa/St Pete several times I can't imagine with eveything they have to offer & the fun thing's to do over there vs here why you would even consider the move.
There convention center is great I have attended several shows & trade shows there,lots of hotels.Only in corrupt Palm Beach County can they build a convention center with no hotel.
Tampa has got that great Gandy Blvd bridge/pier to fish from no admission fee's,here they hold there hands open & you pay.Yrbor city is fun with alot of outside seating/dining areas here in Palm Beach County many municipalities & towns outlaw outside seating "it's against code"??? why who knows.
Ballast point park is also fun,Busch gardens the Sea Aquarium my Wife & I have gone to several times.
The zoo is also wonderful here the West Palm Zoo is kinda mickey mouse,small & overpriced for what you get to see & do.
I live in Northern palm Beach County,I think Downtown @ the gardens & Abacoa is all hype,overpriced & not fun at all.Crime is out of control.
Yrs ago maybe Palm Beach County was the place,lately it's overpriced,corrupt & hyped,like a dog with all bark & no bite.
You also have Tampa Bay stadium,,here LOL the dolphins that have done nothing in 25+ yrs.
Also you got Steinbrenner statium,much nicer than the Rodger dean stadium,,with the,,LOL Jup hammerheads.
Winter time you also cool off a bit more than here,we are alway's in the soup.I for one would choose Tampa over this place.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times
I'm from Tampa and have visited further south.. IMHO, If you can afford it, Do it.

I would have.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the responses! Ultimately, it's a decision I have to make for myself. Reps to you all for your responses.

One thing I left out in my original post is my love of surfing and surf culture. Real hard to come by over here, so that is an over-riding reason for my desire to move.

Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'm from Tampa and have visited further south.. IMHO, If you can afford it, Do it.

I would have.
It's funny. I hated it here when I first moved, but then adjusted. Finally visited S.E. Florida for the first time a couple years ago and wished I had moved there instead.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,898,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
It's funny. I hated it here when I first moved, but then adjusted. Finally visited S.E. Florida for the first time a couple years ago and wished I had moved there instead.
Honestly, If a job presented itself to me, I'd prob. be there right now too..

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM

522 posts, read 1,611,102 times
I have no idea why anyone would want to move to SE Florida unless they are from New York, it's the 6th borough. Yes, it's beautiful. But the people are callous and rude and there is quite a bit of crime unless you live in Boca. Not only that, it's the drug capital of the country and the con artist capital. Florida's a big state, and beautiful, I'd suggest almost anywhere above SE Florida.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
The best and worst parts about the internet:

The good: Subjective opinions can give you an idea of what "real people" think about an area.

The bad: Subjective opinions often are divorced from reality.

Palm Beach County is very large and diverse (which is its strength). If you live in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Wellington, Royal Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Tequesta, Juno Beach, North Palm Beach.... you will be exposed to less crime risk than Tampa. Or Louisville Kentucky. Or any number of countless locales across the United States. This can be confirmed through City-data's own crime stats pages.

Even West Palm Beach proper, which has a very large "depressed" section on its Northend where the vast majority of crime occurs (and where you would not live), is on par with a lot of well known cities in the country.

Atlanta: Crime index = 786
WPB: 593
Louisville: 512
Greenville: 563
Memphis: 949

Now, "rudeness" and "calousness" is subjective. However, I've lived in SE Florida (Treasure Coast since I was a child and PBC for three years now), and have never experienced any out and out rudeness. Then again, the positive of PBC is that a bit of "self centeredness" attracts people from all walks of life without judgment you'll find in the gentile southern states, or backwards Appalachia. There's a "live and let live" vibe that many take to be "rudeness," but others see as a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by TriMT7; 07-07-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The best and worst parts about the internet:

The good: Subjective opinions can give you an idea of what "real people" think about an area.

The bad: Subjective opinions often are divorced from reality.

Palm Beach County is very large and diverse (which is its strength). If you live in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Wellington, Royal Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Tequesta, Juno Beach, North Palm Beach.... you will be exposed to less crime risk than Tampa. Or Louisville Kentucky. Or any number of countless locales across the United States. This can be confirmed through City-data's own crime stats pages.

Even West Palm Beach proper, which has a very large "depressed" section on its Northend where the vast majority of crime occurs (and where you would not live), is on par with a lot of well known cities in the country.

Atlanta: Crime index = 786
WPB: 593
Louisville: 512
Greenville: 563
Memphis: 949

Now, "rudeness" and "calousness" is subjective. However, I've lived in SE Florida (Treasure Coast since I was a child and PBC for three years now), and have never experienced any out and out rudeness. Then again, the positive of PBC is that a bit of "self centeredness" attracts people from all walks of life without judgment you'll find in the gentile southern states, or backwards Appalachia. There's a "live and let live" vibe that many take to be "rudeness," but others see as a breath of fresh air.
Yeah, I wasn't too scared walking around Juno Beach, Jupiter, PBG, or Palm Beach..lol. Ft. Lauderdale certainly didn't give me security concerns either. I think it's alot like Tampa Bay area. Just know where not to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach