Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 PM

292 posts, read 718,831 times

Advertisements

Just a few questions about WPB out of curiosity, I am thinking of moving there after law school

1) In downtown, are there young people? Will I be able to meet high-class members of the opposite sex as well as make friends?
2) How far is downtown from the Boynton Beach Mall?
3) A strange question but coming from NJ I have to ask it- are there any good Italian restaurant around?
4) Whats a good apartment building for rent (900-1500 per month?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
1. Palm Beach is the ritzy part of PBC. Most people who live there and hang out there are multi-millionaires. Seriously. Palm Beach Gardens, Boca Raton, Wellington and Jupiter are some of the kind of wealthy parts of PBC and are much less ritzy than Palm Beach. West Palm Beach is mostly a lot more middle class but there are a lot of new condos being built all the time. I dunno about "young" people, most people buying property in PBC especially condos will be more likely to be middle aged or elderly. There have never been a lot of jobs in PBC attracting young professionals.

2. Probably 30 minutes on I-95. The Gardens Mall is a better mall.

3. There are tons of people in PBC from the NYC/Long Island/New Jersey area so there are lots of Italian restaurants.

4. no idea

Old 07-11-2010, 11:45 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Just a few questions about WPB out of curiosity, I am thinking of moving there after law school

1) In downtown, are there young people? Will I be able to meet high-class members of the opposite sex as well as make friends?
2) How far is downtown from the Boynton Beach Mall?
3) A strange question but coming from NJ I have to ask it- are there any good Italian restaurant around?
4) Whats a good apartment building for rent (900-1500 per month?)

1. You'll have better luck meeting people your age in downtown Delray Beach. Delray is small but very active downtown with all kinds of folks looking for a good time. No pun intended. For West Palm, you'd have to look into the club areas.

2. It's about 20 or 30 min. Depending on the route. You can also take the PalmTran if your without a vehicle. And PalmTran is one of the nicer public transportation that I have ever been on. It's clean and there are rarely drunk or smelly people on board. PalmTran also has reliable routes from West Palm to Boca To Boynton and back.

3. Plenty of italian restuarants! Half of the residents of Palm Beach County are transplants from New York or New Jersey. As for which ones are good? Couldn't tell you. I haven't tried any. But I heard about some that have good ratings. In Boynton there's Milan's Italian Restaurant, Benvenuto, Carrabba's Grill, Porto Bella, Snapper's Seafood & Pasta, & Davinci Restaurante. In Delray there is Tramonti, Rocky's Italian Bistro, il Girasole, Cucina Mio, Cafe Veri Amici, Dolce Amore Cafe

4. Apartment Guide Apartments are bit on the expensive side in Palm Beach County. But you can always rent a shared room off of Craiglist for $400-700. Alot of people do because it's so expensive!

Hope I helped!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 PM

292 posts, read 718,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
1. Palm Beach is the ritzy part of PBC. Most people who live there and hang out there are multi-millionaires. Seriously. Palm Beach Gardens, Boca Raton, Wellington and Jupiter are some of the kind of wealthy parts of PBC and are much less ritzy than Palm Beach. West Palm Beach is mostly a lot more middle class but there are a lot of new condos being built all the time. I dunno about "young" people, most people buying property in PBC especially condos will be more likely to be middle aged or elderly. There have never been a lot of jobs in PBC attracting young professionals.

3. There are tons of people in PBC from the NYC/Long Island/New Jersey area so there are lots of Italian restaurants.

4. no idea
I am kinda surprised because when I was at City Place, there were a lot of younger people, I was just wondering if my small view of WPB was accurate.

How far is Gardens from downtown?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
I am kinda surprised because when I was at City Place, there were a lot of younger people, I was just wondering if my small view of WPB was accurate.

How far is Gardens from downtown?

There are a lot of 20-30-40 somethings in West Palm Beach and the surrounding areas. City Place is GREAT for hanging out as well as Clematis Street. (the main drag of West Palm). There are a couple of bars and clubs in Palm Beach. Cuchina, Bice, 251, Micheal McCarty's (kinda cliquish/preppy). On the island of Palm Beach (aside from McCarty's) it's a mix of young Palm Beacher trust-fund kids and mostly people from West Palm and other mainland locals, all trying to look like they've "made it big". It's still a lot of fun though.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

4. no idea

The OP asked about West Palm Beach and NOT Palm Beach.

Most people who hang out in Palm Beach are FAR from "multi-millionaires" and are from all over the area and by the way, West Palm Beach has a very healthy supply of millionaires and professionals.

I have yet to see or hear about the elderly buying condos in downtown West Palm Beach. (where do you get your info)

Stressa on Okeechobee Blvd. is by far the best Italian restaurant in West Palm Beach.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post

Most people who hang out in Palm Beach are FAR from "multi-millionaires" and are from all over the area and by the way, West Palm Beach has a very healthy supply of millionaires and professionals.
Yeap, and for good reason. If I had 2 million to spend on a home, you better believe it'd be on S. Flagler or El Cid in WPB vs. a sidestreet on the Northend of Palm Beach! Many people have made the same decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127
I have yet to see or hear about the elderly buying condos in downtown West Palm Beach. (where do you get your info)

When I lived in downtown proper, the buildings seemed to be a mix of retired (but not elderly), typically owners, and young professionals, typically renters. I lived at the Metropolitan and everyone was really sociable and friendly. I had friends at 610 Clematis, and everyone there was also friendly.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
He/she wanted to know about meeting "high class people" so I mentioned Palm Beach which is one of the ritziest places in the US and is like 5 minutes from downtown WPB.

Quote:
Most people who hang out in Palm Beach are FAR from "multi-millionaires" and are from all over the area
Sure in terms of hanging out anyone can go there since they haven't built a wall to keep out the commoners yet, but the people who live there are all very very rich.

No need to get bent out of shape.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 PM

9 posts, read 21,853 times
Do you want to meet some nice people or do you want to hang around in the bars for pick ups? That's my question. I was single in this area for a long time & found the best way to meet real, honest, nice people was not hanging around in the clubs. Sure I met a lot of people in the clubs, but were they of the caliber I was really interested in? Not usually. The greatest friends I have kept over the years are those I met while volunteering - at festivals, for community events, for humanitarian causes, anything! Palm Beach County has something going on every week and there is always a need for volunteers, plus you will get in for free! I've been a volunteer for Sunfest for over 20 years, for all the events on Flagler, Clematis, and so forth. Habitat for Humanity is another good one. I'm not kidding, you will meet the greatest people who are up and coming or already made it - the true back bones of our community - when you join and help out these great organizations. Just try it a few times. Give it a shot. The worse that could happen is you will make some good connections with some other people who have connections you might need. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach