Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 12,606 times

Advertisements

Hi. Im 28, recently single and thinking about accepting a promotion in Palm Beach Gardens. However- I want to live somewhere where there is a good social scene, decent bars and a lot of life. My Ex lived in Ft lauderdale right off Las Olas and I absolutely loved it so am looking for something similar to that. I've heard Downtown Delray Beach is nice but I have also heard its very "plastic" and old. Any advice? Would Boynton Beach, Boca, Palm Beach, or anything in between be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:48 AM

22 posts, read 60,918 times
My cousins are pretty young, 21 and 29 and love living in Boca.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,116 times
I recently vacationed in Delray Beach and I loved it. There was so much to do on Atlantic Avenue, except almost everything closed around 10p there. There were bars that stayed opened later than 10p but they were between that bridge and before the railroad track.

I'm from Kentucky, and we are generally friendly folks here. A lot of folks there aren't since they are from up east, but I met a lot who were also friendly.

I'd like to know also of what you posted. Sometime next year, I'd like to return and maybe there is a better area to go than here.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,401,462 times
I'm 30 and live in the Gardens and love it. It's not a huge party area or anything, but there is plenty to do, and it's so nice up here. The Happy Hour scene seems to be pretty busy with a lot of young professionals.
I've lived in Boynton and West Palm and prefer it here.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM

522 posts, read 1,611,102 times
I don't think you are going to find the equivalent of Las Olas in Palm Beach county. However, the downtown area of West Palm Beach and City Place are fun areas with lots of bars and young people. I love downtown Delray - but I am older and Delray is older than the area you are talking about in Lauderdale. It is a mix of ages, however, still alot of young people. As far as plastic goes, I think alot of people would find south Florida in general to be plastic because there is a lot of emphasis on appearance, designer clothes, and luxury cars, much like you find in California. It never bothered me though, even though I didn't have the kind of money to possess those things. I''m not a Boca fan, so my opinion on Boca (and I did live there for 2 years) would not be unbiased. I can tell you, however, there are A LOT of old people in Boca, more so than West Palm and PBG. If you choose to live in Boca I would recommend east Boca - in general it is younger than central Boca, but offers more for the single life than west Boca. The area around Mizner Park and Royal Palm Plaza has plenty of bars, restaurants, etc. Good luck to you!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,606 times
Thank you for all the feedback. I definitly prefer the 27 and older scene (but still young professionals). I have heard good things about West Palm Beach as well. I guess I just need to take some time and look at both places. I live in Miami now and can't stand it. Although I am not a huge bar goer, I would like a place that is still vibrant if I choose to go out and offers other alternatives if I want something more laid back.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 PM

522 posts, read 1,611,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosscam View Post
Thank you for all the feedback. I definitly prefer the 27 and older scene (but still young professionals). I have heard good things about West Palm Beach as well. I guess I just need to take some time and look at both places. I live in Miami now and can't stand it. Although I am not a huge bar goer, I would like a place that is still vibrant if I choose to go out and offers other alternatives if I want something more laid back.
Delray may be really good for you. Check it out! Good luck!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,324 times
I second Delray. I used to live in Delray and commuted up to PBG. I love the downtown because it is NOT like overly commercialized like City Place. It is more of a "traditional" downtown with mom and pops and locally owned establishments.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 17,321 times
Was looking at Delray Beach myself. Your 44 male (i.e. I'd rather hang with 30 year olds than 50 year olds), single, with a dog. Enjoys the bars and restaurants. Noted in one post that things wrap up at 10:00PM which could be an issue. Is Delray mostly 20s, 30s, 40s or older? Also, what's the rating on dog friendlines (well behaved 45lb shar-pei). Noticed a lot of condos are not allowing dogs.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 PM

12 posts, read 51,688 times
We have lived in downtown Delray for 4 years now and love it. During snow bird season Atlantic has two shifts- the early shift which is mostly older people, and then the later shift which is mostly students and young professionals. There are bars open past 10pm- but it is definitely not Miami. There are more dogs in strollers than kids in strollers. People bring their dogs to the outdoor seating all the time. We have two toddlers now and have outgrown the house we have been renting- but the house we bought is still in east Delray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach