Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 AM

59 posts, read 145,679 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We just moved to Parkland from NY with 10 yr old twin boys. We are renting this year and will be looking to buy within the year. We came across The Bridges in Boca/Delray. The community, homes, floorplans, amenities are AMAZING!

I am just concerned about the schools which are Eagles Landing and Olympic Heights. I haven't heard great things...BUT - what if you are in the gifted program? Can you go to other neighboring schools? OR are these in fact good schools, especially for gifted?

I do LOVE Parkland...but hate that we have to go to Coral Springs for everything. It would be nice to be closer to Boca and closer to the beach.

Just really concerned about schools...please provide any opinions/input...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM

143 posts, read 471,915 times
For high schools I believe you would be talking about AP classes, not gifted per say. Personally I would not chose Olympic but you could always apply for one of the programs at Spanish River High School which IMO is a much better High School. I know people that have purchased pre construction in the Bridges and all of them send their kids to private schools. I don't believe that that is the most ideal zone for public schools...again, just my opinion...

Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I have to agree with JC..

Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM

59 posts, read 145,679 times
Thank you very much. I thought that the schools weren't great, but I am new to S Florida so it's good to get confirmation from someone more experienced. Shame too...that community is DIVINE! I guess I will stay in Parkland for now...thanks!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM

No reason you still cant look in Boca...Omni and River are excellent schools and if you go to the Palm beach county school district site, you can write down the info from the accountability report card and then go to the Broward school district site and do the same....the comparisons will be the same when I did them back in 07 and they ranked just as well as each other...The differences between the 2 since we looked at both towns basically was parkland was much Newer in terms of housing and the schools were good...Not much to do in "parkland" but its not that far of a drive to Boca or Coral Springs...Boca is older in terms of housing and people there are certainly a lot of young families moving to Boca and I think from living there for 3 years it is younger than many years before....As far as people well I have found a lot of similarities between Boca and parkland..We have people we know through my DH who live in the parkland country club, and heron bay...One of them moved from Woodfield Country club and she said the people arent all that different from parkland to boca...good luck

Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 PM

I agree with Swim...lol, imagine that
I grew up in Coral Springs, married a Boca Boy...have lived in Boca for 15 years...raising four kids here...for us there is much more to do in this area. It is all a matter of what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. Parkland is more relaxed...IMO.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchiamom View Post
I agree with Swim...lol, imagine that
I grew up in Coral Springs, married a Boca Boy...have lived in Boca for 15 years...raising four kids here...for us there is much more to do in this area. It is all a matter of what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. Parkland is more relaxed...IMO.
ha thanks lol

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 AM

82 posts, read 220,021 times
Sorry to disagree but I have nothing but absolutely wonderful things to say about Eagles Landing and Olympic Heights. My children currently attend there and although no school is perfect....well except for a certain two... I believe that these are two excellent schools.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM

YES Eagles is a very good school and ranks with parkland as well....you have personal experience with the Olympic High school and im glad your child enjoyed it unfortunately the families we know and my son is friends with they really are not happy with the school and found it lacking in many areas...The same can be said with some of the Best Schools there isn't a perfect school and are all subjective and a Very Personal..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 AM

I don't know one family that is happy with Olympic High. Most apply for the programs at Spanish River to get out of there...now you have to apply for the ROTC at Boca High unless you are zoned for there because they had so many applicants for their programs....kind of makes me wonder...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach