Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2007, 06:57 AM

14 posts, read 50,557 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes Palm Beach County.

We love the architecture and creative style of the El Cid and Northwood neighborhoods. However, after living in Coconut Grove for several years, we have had enough of worrying about crime.

The stats for these neighborhoods are frightening!
We travel extensively, so the house would be empty for long periods.

We would appreciate any input.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Crime in the historic neighborhoods varies.

For starters, no matter what someone tells you about Northwood in particular (it's "up and coming," it's "not that bad,") it's just not worth it. On the surface, Northwood is a nice area with nice homes that are mere blocks from the water, but it is simply too close to the crap for me to ever feel safe living there. Home prices in Northwood are lower in that area for a reason. (My boss just sold a historic six bedroom home with pool in Northwood for 650k. Similar homes in El Cid, for example, would have comfortably fetched over a million). If you view a map of "murders" in West Palm Beach, about 90% are in the "Northern neighborhoods" (North of Banyan Blvd.).

So, unless you truly DO want to be an neighborhood pioneer and literally be adjacent to one of the most crime ridden areas in the Palm Beaches, Northwood is a no-go. Simply take a drive down "Broadway" and you'll feel like you're in a refugee camp.

Now, onto the "Southern" neighborhoods. El Cid is perhaps the most famous and most expensive neighborhood, due to the nature of homes in the area and their proximity to downtown and Flagler. If you have the cash to buy there, go for it!

I would say that any neighborhood (Grandview Heights, Mango Promenade, Flamingo Park, etc.) that is South of Okeechobee and North of Belvedere will be "safe" options. There's the typical opportunistic property crime of any non-gated neighborhood, so have an alarm system, but the area isn't "known" for crime, however. One thing you can do is simply rent for a year and see how you like it! Everyone I have asked that lives there seems to love it (I have had the same crime questions as I have flirted back and forth with moving there myself someday).

If I were you, once you venture South of Belvedere road, I would remember the golden rule: The further from I-95 and closer to water, the better. You'll come across properties boasting "East of Olive" or "East of Dixie."

Really though, you need to VISIT the area and decide which areas are appealing to you, and which are too close to run down duplexes, etc. It can vary block to block ---> beautiful restored home, restored home, restored home, BAM - run down house being rented by 10 illegal workers - restored home, restored home....

I probably wouldn't bother searching anything South of Forest Hill Blvd, unless it's really close to the water.

As I always say though, if "safe" and "tidy" is your criteria, I suggest Palm Beach Island or Jupiter and Juno Beach.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Avoid Northwood at all costs.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Northwoods-high crime area

Thank you both for your replies.

We did drive up and down Broadway today, and cancelled an appt we had tomorrow.

Pioneers-been there, done that

We're headed north

Old 11-24-2007, 11:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers-mom View Post
Thank you both for your replies.

We did drive up and down Broadway today, and cancelled an appt we had tomorrow.

Pioneers-been there, done that

We're headed north

Where "north" may I ask?

Old 11-24-2007, 12:58 PM

Default North of Northwood

Jupiter/Juno area

Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 10,711 times
Default Northwood

I have lived in Old Northwood for over three years now and can say that I am thoroughly glad I moved here. I don't know what the crime statistics are, but we have not had any significant problems. We are friendly with the neighbors and when I walk my dog at night, there are several other people out as well with pets and children. As a young professional, Northwood is great for its proximity to downtown West Palm Beach (which is also getting notceably better than past years) and Palm Beach Gardens. Several of our friends have moved to the area and are happy as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach