Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,422,510 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah in Delray there is going to be an iPic theater downtown by the old library- Atlantic and NE 6th.

There will be multi use buildings and townhouses built on the 600-800 block of W Atlantic that look really nice.

But yeah you could get a fixer upper near the beach in LW; west side of the bridge of course.

Not sure what veggienut is talking about as I find Delray very busy.

As for LW crime I think arrests for prostitution doubled or something.
Personally I wish I had stayed in Delray just due to the extreme financial loss I incurred by buying in LW. Extremely depressing. And I definitely look elsewhere for friends.
The bond issue was confusing because the politicians seem so incompetent. Many of us said that lack of potholes isn't going to solve our problems, if indeed that is where the money would actually go.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 09-17-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:35 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,050,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Oh yeah in Delray there is going to be an iPic theater downtown by the old library- Atlantic and NE 6th.

There will be multi use buildings and townhouses built on the 600-800 block of W Atlantic that look really nice.

But yeah you could get a fixer upper near the beach in LW; west side of the bridge of course.

Not sure what veggienut is talking about as I find Delray very busy.

As for LW crime I think arrests for prostitution doubled or something.
Personally I wish I had stayed in Delray just due to the extreme financial loss I incurred by buying in LW. Extremely depressing. And I definitely look elsewhere for friends.
The bond issue was confusing because the politicians seem so incompetent. Many of us said that lack of potholes isn't going to solve our problems, if indeed that is where the money would actually go.

I am not sure what statement your referring too, but not everyone there is homeless. There are a lot and I mean a lot of young people there with addictions. I know for a fact because a friend of mine, she sent her son there to Delray to one of the rehab centers. The cottages you see around Swifton (and other areas) are rentals for these young addicted people to live in but they need to work to pay rent there. They also give the bank people problems from what I know. The drug problem is not noticeable to the general public, travelers, etc. But I go there enough and have seen stuff and know people there who've told me more than I need to know.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:16 AM

Oh veggie I thought you said there wasn't much going on inDelray. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I became very uncomfortable with all the rehab people downtown as well. I had lived there for 28 years, so I know what you're saying. I've seen rehab people passed out at the bus stop. Young and wearing expensive clothing. Their attitude is usually really rude as well.

I used to like stopping the Dunkin Donuts after work but stopped going due to the rehab people that hang out there. They don't seem to have much respect for a lot of things.

Your comment was that Delray used to be vibrant with restaurants and shopping. It still is!
My old property in Delray is worth more now than it was in 2005, supposedly the height of things.My property in LW is worth less than half.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 09-18-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Oh veggie I thought you said there wasn't much going on inDelray. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I became very uncomfortable with all the rehab people downtown as well. I had lived there for 28 years, so I know what you're saying. I've seen rehab people passed out at the bus stop. Young and wearing expensive clothing. Their attitude is usually really rude as well.

I used to like stopping the Dunkin Donuts after work but stopped going due to the rehab people that hang out there. They don't seem to have much respect for a lot of things.

Your comment was that Delray used to be vibrant with restaurants and shopping. It still is!
My old property in Delray is worth more now than it was in 2005, supposedly the height of things.My property in LW is worth less than half.

Well, there used to be more stores and restaurants but they closed or went out of business. There was some by the Seagate Hotel, that side road. The Crepe Shop closed as well as a long time family owned business that was there 40-50 years....as well as many, many others.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 PM

I haven't been down there in a while, but when I did go a few years ago it seemed like many of the stores and restaurants lasted a short time. Then next trip there would be something else.

I remember when I first moved there the same shops and restaurants had been there for decades. I remember Patio Delray and Ernie's and the Arcade.

I wish I had made it to the old Mercer Wenzel store before it closed. Definitely one of the last mom and pop dept stores in the area.
We used to have bagels and coffee at the old Seacrest when I was a kid.
Do you mean where the Seagate is now? Where Kemps shoes was? I forget what else was there. I think Merrill Lynch.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
...I wish I had made it to the old Mercer Wenzel store before it closed. Definitely one of the last mom and pop dept stores in the area...

That is one of the stores I was talking about. It is a shame they closed, but not by choice. The owner passed and the kids didn't want it plus they didn't live in the state from what I heard.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:16 AM

Yes you are correct. A friend of mine has known that family for years. As I've known the George family. And I've heard Docs is going too.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:15 AM

21 posts, read 47,981 times
We just went back and forth also between LW and Delray....we are a same sex, professional couple woth a teenage son. We picked Delray! We have been here 3 months now, live in a little beach house, SUPER cute and can walk to Pineapple Grove - WE LOVE IT!! It is Super quiet where we are and yet just a few blocks to the AVE. Are decission was made mostly on resale - you can't loose if you buy in DR...it is booming - and the town is amazing!! Yes, it is busy in season....but the vibe, young families all moving in, ADORABLE homes cant be beat!!!!!! Good Luck!!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:24 PM

23 posts, read 31,091 times
Default Moving to PBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammyB View Post
We just went back and forth also between LW and Delray....we are a same sex, professional couple woth a teenage son. We picked Delray! We have been here 3 months now, live in a little beach house, SUPER cute and can walk to Pineapple Grove - WE LOVE IT!! It is Super quiet where we are and yet just a few blocks to the AVE. Are decission was made mostly on resale - you can't loose if you buy in DR...it is booming - and the town is amazing!! Yes, it is busy in season....but the vibe, young families all moving in, ADORABLE homes cant be beat!!!!!! Good Luck!!
Hi Pammy!
I just saw your post. We are a same sex couple,too. We are relocating from the MidWest and we are thinking about buying a house in PBC.
Between Lake Worth and Delray, which one do you recommend? A year has passed since you made your comment about Lake Worth, has anything changed? Is LW improving?

I have gather extensive information about Boca, Delray and WPB and I already know that overall it is nice, but I would like to know more about LW or Boynton Beach.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 PM

21 posts, read 47,981 times
Default Leaving DR to LW!!!!

TO AlexanderFael.....I just read this....ironically, we just sold our DRB house for a good amount as we are in walking distance of the Ave. We also bought a small cottage we rent out in LW (bought it in Oct 2016). Well....here is how we feel now....DRB is busy, completely gentrified, and to be honest...a tad fancy/stuffy....

SO...where to go to find "family" near the beach???? We thought about moving to the West Coast of Florida to St. Pete.....We are going to see an ADORABLE new house in Parrot Cove in Lake Worth!!! NOW....many may wonder why in the world would you ever leave DRB for LW????? My wife and I both feel #1 is community and finding some like minded couples. LW has more LGBT households than any other town in Florida!! I was shocked!!! So, we are going to take our chances....spend about 300k less, still have a beautiful house where we can entertain, be in a laid back cool town...and find our people!!!!!

Would LOVE to know where you guys ended up!!!!

My best~ Pammy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach