Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:56 PM

676 posts, read 721,815 times

Advertisements

can anyone recommend an active 55 plus community on the west coast of Florida? Not too crowded, quiet, Low crime, near to the beach, and lots of amenities? I'm not so sure there is such a community.

I not happy in southeast Florida. It's just too crowded. I'm afraid to drive.

I've have been searching on lined for info, but if anyone has any info that you can share, it would be very much appreciated. I'll stick it out this winter, but I will keep up my search. This is my first winter here. Relatives bought here so I thought I'd try it, as I do love the beach. But I just can't take the congestion, as I am originally from upstate NY. I guess it was not such a good ideas for me to to buy here after all.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Marble cake; 01-02-2016 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:43 AM

161 posts, read 273,858 times
Sun City Center, 25 miles southeast of Tampa, is a possibility.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:55 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
can anyone recommend an active 55 plus community on the west coast of Florida? Not too crowded, quiet, Low crime, near to the beach, and lots of amenities? I'm not so sure there is such a community.

Price range? There are some very nice communities in Venice. West Villages is a quiet section on the North Port line. I'm not sure if this is strictly an over 55 community, but you can call if you're interested.

[url=http://www.divosta.com/communities/fl/venice/islandwalk-at-the-west-villages/16219/index1.aspx#.VojgXcYrLnA]New Homes at IslandWalk at the West Villages | Venice, FL by DiVosta Home Builders[/url]

Plantation CC is also very nice and in a quiet area. This time of year, however, it's going to be a bit more crowded in SWFL until April.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:07 AM

Thanks for your replies. My price range is under 200.000 for a house.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. My price range is under 200.000 for a house.
Same for me, but I wasn't sure from your first post. You can buy a condo in Plantation for under $150,000. However, there are many other factors to consider. Some communities charge a CDD in addition to your annual property tax bill. Also, each county has a different millage rage. Often the monthly or quarterly HOA fee is higher in an over 55 community because there's a full time activities director.

Have you considered a mobile home community? I wouldn't buy one on leased land, but there are several nice resident owned communities. [URL="http://villageofholidaylake.com/"] I lived here[/URL] for a while. The online calendar hasn't been updated, but there's always a card game, water aerobics, bingo, dances, dinners, parties, arts & crafts and more. It's not an over 55 community, but about 90% of its residents are snowbirds from Massachusetts, Canada, Ohio, Michigan, etc. Monthly HOA fee is $100 which includes lawn care and use of the 2 pools, clubhouse, tennis and most activities.

I know exactly what you mean about traffic and crowds of people. It's a tough call, since I moved from SWFL to Western NC this year and there's no traffic at all in this rural area, but there are fewer amenities where I am, and half the people travel back to Florida in the winter. It all depends on what you're used to, but I had the same trouble driving on the FL turnpike and I-95 when I'd visit my Dad in Delray Beach, and that was several years ago.

You might want to search for posts on the Sarasota forum, because I remember some realtors listing several communities on one of the threads.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:26 PM

Thanks so much JustNancy. The info you provided is very much appreciated.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 AM

428 posts, read 416,315 times
Quote:

I've have been searching on lined for info, but if anyone has any info that you can share, it would be very much appreciated. I'll stick it out this winter, but I will keep up my search. This is my first winter here. Relatives bought here so I thought I'd try it, as I do love the beach. But I just can't take the congestion, as I am originally from upstate NY. I guess it was not such a good ideas for me to to buy here after all.

Thanks for your input.

We moved here a few months ago from Upstate NY. Our initial goal was for the west coast, we love it there... but we ended up in the SE like you. I have family around Venice and they LOVE it- in fact two just retired there. So I second the idea of looking there. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:12 AM

Mcharas, what made you settle here in SE Florida? I wish you luck in returning the the west coast of Florida.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:14 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
Quote:

I've have been searching on lined for info, but if anyone has any info that you can share, it would be very much appreciated. I'll stick it out this winter, but I will keep up my search. This is my first winter here. Relatives bought here so I thought I'd try it, as I do love the beach. But I just can't take the congestion, as I aYm originally from upstate NY. I guess it was not such a good ideas for me to to buy here after all.

Thanks for your input.

You don't say where your at but you must be somewhere in South Palm Beach County, like Boca. The farther you go north in Palm Beach County the less traffic congestion there is and the friendlier the people are.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 PM

You are correct, veggienut, I'm in Boca Raton. Can you suggest specific areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach