Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 03:47 AM

4 posts, read 5,162 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we're looking at single family rentals in Polo Club or Mizners Preserve. Other options are The Oaks or Woodfield (no membership access). These rentals are expensive! We chose these for proximity to schools/work and honestly, because there is limited availability (condos/apts won't work for us) so we'll have to budget and make it work.

My main concern is - Are these areas safe?

We would also love your thoughts on each re: lifestyle. We will rent for 1 year max to get to know the area and prefer low key, quiet but also trying to confirm what the rental agents say that even though no children live there, our kids will love the Polo Club / Mizners / etc. Do you agree?

Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 06:44 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Safe from what? Run over by an elderly NY'r in a golf cart?

You and your kids will likely hate any of those places, no kids to play with, lots of HOA rules and everyone in the community overzealously trying to enforce the rules!

I had a friend rent in one of these CC nightmares while her own home was being renovated. She is older, drives nice cars and certainly is an asset to any community she lives in. She came back from Europe, was unloading the car. She was dragging the bags out of the garage to go through the front door so not to bump her husband's Lamborghini. So trying to get the house settled after an absence, feed the dogs that she just picked up, collect mail etc.

Knock at the door, neighborhood security guard: Ma'am your garage door has been up more than 15 minutes, someone complained. She quickly showed Guard Barney Fife her luggage on the garage floor and explained what she was doing. He laughed and said he understood but someone called.

This is what these places are like when old people have nothing to do....... Pick a family friendly neighborhood and save yourself the hassle.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:10 PM

Hysterical, thanks City Guy. Reminds me of when I lived in Switzerland years ago. As they say there - a country with 7 million policemen.

Thanks again for your feedback, I appreciate it!

Old 07-09-2020, 09:55 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
If you can avoid living in a neighborhoods with an HOA, then by all means, please do. The good thing about Boca is that it is one of a handful of cities in South Florida where you do not need to live in an HOA neighborhood for safety and security reasons. In most other South Florida cities, living in an HOA neighborhood is a requirement due to high crime rates and poor demographics.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
Realtors or rental agents will lie to make the sale
Polo club I think I read the average age is 60s
Now Woodfield my grandfather lived in and there are families. The issue is not having club access you may not meet many. I think the average age was 49. Part of living in Woodfield is the country club
I lived in Boca West CC across from Woodfield
In BW someone called the police on me for walking in the neighborhood on the road not on the sidewalk. The reason I was cause of the sprinklers that were going onto the sidewalk. Another neighbor asked me my address cause she didn't think I lived there.
Many of these people have too much time on their hands and like you stated act like their the policeman
These are beautiful and safe communities but HOAs can be strict.
There are a lot of non CC communities that are near but would be more family friendly and more affordable
If you do want that lifestyle did you try Broken Sound which may be more affordable and have families? Its down the road from Woodfield
In that area and I don't know the subdivision names there are neighborhoods that are not gated but seem nice.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:09 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I really appreciate it. We will do more scouting when we get down there.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,989 times
Polo Club is absolutely beautiful. Everything is first class. The grounds,clubhouse,pool,gym, spa,golf course,food, service and security are as good or better than the finest 5 star hotels. The average age is coming down and more families are moving in. It really is living at a resort. Properties seem to be selling very fast there, especially if they have been renovated. My sister lives there so I get the inside scoop. Everyone that lives there loves it. I moved to Sarasota/ Siesta Key-got out of that SE Florida rat race- LOVE IT over here on the Gulf Coast!

Old 07-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crtrader View Post
Polo Club is absolutely beautiful. Everything is first class. The grounds,clubhouse,pool,gym, spa,golf course,food, service and security are as good or better than the finest 5 star hotels. The average age is coming down and more families are moving in. It really is living at a resort. Properties seem to be selling very fast there, especially if they have been renovated. My sister lives there so I get the inside scoop. Everyone that lives there loves it. I moved to Sarasota/ Siesta Key-got out of that SE Florida rat race- LOVE IT over here on the Gulf Coast!
^^^^^ ummm no

1st- it is just another West Boca (not actually in the city limits) that has horrible resale due to the forced club membership
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...46628214_zpid/

House sold 1993 for 515K and 25 years later they only got 500! No thanks...........

The security is retirees or anyone else that wants $11 an hour to watch TV.

My guess? CRTrader hasn't stayed at too many 5 star hotels!

Old 07-25-2020, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,989 times
Ok - let’s go. True, property that has not been updated has not appreciated. However, renovated homes are selling very fast for very good profits. Residents on campus are purchasing a lifestyle. Their investments far exceed the value of the property. The club is also very financially sound. My guess is you have never even been inside. Don’t be a hater because you can’t afford to live there. Stay safe!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crtrader View Post
Ok - let’s go. True, property that has not been updated has not appreciated. However, renovated homes are selling very fast for very good profits. Residents on campus are purchasing a lifestyle. Their investments far exceed the value of the property. The club is also very financially sound. My guess is you have never even been inside. Don’t be a hater because you can’t afford to live there. Stay safe!
This again is not true........people are getting killed out there in bad real estate. Mandatory membership is never a good sign, its a death knoll! Who owns real estate 25 years and gets ZERO profit, takes a loss? Right there that tells you something isn't good.

Need a solid counterpoint? Royal Palm Yacht and Country Club, not mandatory membership but rather a waiting list to get in . It is in city limits, east of US1. It is security patrolled but not actually gated.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-88836#photo12

This house was built in 1973, certainly not updated and yet not one owner lost money:

JUN-2020 $1,732,500
AUG-1999 $495,000
JAN-1988 $330,000
NOV-1986 $215,000
JAN-1978 $180,000

All those West Boca CC's are awful. Stonebridge, Polo Club, Broken Sound, Boca Woods/Greens, Boca-Aire, Del-Aire, Boca West, Boca Grove all force membership and then the real estate tanks. The 2 exceptions seem to be Woodfield Country Club and St Andrews. Boca West has a ridiculous club, 5 golf courses and is really an outstanding facility yet you can buy a nice 2/2 condo for $100:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M64403-42134
$100 sold June 2020.

Want a real money example of good real estate but zero updating?
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M58643-36983

This was like a mini white house, painted "Boca pink" for years. 3 old ladies in a row owned it, not much updating done but the last one did ditch the pink. It is currently an empty lot, sold Feb 2019 for 6.8mm and torn down.

FEB-2019 $6,800,000 (lot price, house demolished)
FEB-1995 $1,900,000
MAY-1987 $1,510,000
APR-1984 $1,300,000(finished house)
JAN-1983 $300,000 (empty lot)

Again you won't find anything with these types of numbers (profits) in any of those forced membership clubs. Both examples were not updated homes yet pulled extraordinary profits for their owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach