Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 49,431 times

Advertisements

My father is looking to move into a single family home either by Forest Hill High or in Palm Springs. He is elderly. Can anyone specifically provide feedback on those areas, as to the neighborhoods and safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 AM

326 posts, read 1,171,524 times
Century Village

Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 660,386 times
Century Village is a neighborhood for seniors. They have vans and small buses that go to churches or grocery stores or the mall that will drop them off and come back or wait for them and bring them back. It's pretty cost effective and I have never heard any complaints. There are also tons and tons of neighborhoods that only allow senior to move in. I'd say get him into one of those, hands down.

I found a post that seems helpful regarding CV
//www.city-data.com/forum/west-...y-village.html

Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 AM

162 posts, read 680,624 times
Both areas are considered mostly blue collar, and you're likely to find a good deal since home prices have fallen considerable in each area. I spent part of my childhood in Palm Springs and the community is slowly transforming into a melting pot of different races, incomes, etc. Same can be said of the area around Forest Hill. There is a definite Latin influence in each community.

As far as crime goes, I think both areas are generally safe, although I have a friend who lives near Forest Hill High who says petty crime is on the rise. To me it seems like the north section of Palm Springs (north of 10th Ave. north) is generally safer than the southern portion.

There are not many opportunities for the elderly though, and each has a suburban layout, so walking to the store can be quite a chore. Might be better opportunities in a condo environment....

Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,443,500 times
By now I might sound like a broken record, but West Palm Beach's southend is the good end, more or less.

The are West Of Dixie near Forest Hill, as someone pointed out, is working class with all the good and bad that comes with that, aesthetically. I wouldn't call it dangerous, however, and maybe even less petty crime than other areas since everyone knows it's a working class area, and the things to steal are closer to the water.

I don't know much about Palm Springs, but I do know that right next to Palm Springs is Lake Clarke Shores, which is considered a good middle class family area.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the advice. My father has a large dog, so Century Village is not an option. We are specifically looking for a single-family home for that reason, and the prices in those neighborhoods are appealling but not quite too good to be true. I ask about the safety of the neighborhoods, as that dog, who is a wonderful companion, would likely hand over the keys to the proverbial safe for a Milk-Bone dog biscuit.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM

If you give us a street name and/or block, we can probably give you a better idea of the exact area. Sometimes a couple streets over from a good block can be vastly different.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM

Thanks for offering to help.

Presently we like a property on Parker, north of Summit and south of Southern.

Parker itself looked nice, but I felt some of the side streets looked sketchy - the zoning appears to vary widely between single family homes, duplexes, and multi-family.

Do you have any feedback in that neighborhood?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:12 PM

ON Parker I would not recommend. Parker is a pretty busy road, and not the best on that particular stretch. It's very working class in that area. Not dangerous, but could be some problems with multiple families living in a house, or an unkempt property next door. Some of the sidestreets, east of Parker would be good bets, such as Hansen Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach