Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM

10 posts, read 45,235 times

Advertisements

I'm a newbie, want different lifestyle than COLD long Island. Love water, warmth, palmtrees, people with values, family community. Don't love where I am now. fearful after reading all the blogs about hurricanes, rich snobs, pockets of wealth and bad areas with nothing in between. Is there enough to do in and near Boca? It's not like my life is so exciting now, can't remember last time a neighbor invited me for tea. want my kids to play basketball outside, ridebikes with neighborhood kids. Does this place exist or only in my dreams? I can be nice to a person with money or not. But reading about crime and transcients are unsettling. WE DON'T HAVE CRODIDILES IN L.I. EITHER! and Whats up with the "red ants"...can my kids run around on the lawn? problem is can't do it as a trial, I either move and don't look back or stay, buying and selling a house is for keeps. I can't drag my kids there and change my mind. Maybe I should just stop reading all the blogs, someone wrote about huge rats, ahhh!!! Thx for any info, your there, I'm not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
When I was seven, we moved from New Jersey to Southern Florida. We learned about fire ants real quick, and learned how to avoid them.

Crocodiles and alligators are not a problem. Very very rarely.

Boca has somewhat of a reputation for not being very friendly, and being snobby, but I'm sure that is not all true.....but I do know that the place you describe does exist in South Florida. My own neighborhod, for example even has a monthly cocktail party, block parties, etc. My neighborhood is often too eclectic for many people, however.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterviewgal View Post
I'm a newbie, want different lifestyle than COLD long Island. Love water, warmth, palmtrees, people with values, family community. Don't love where I am now. fearful after reading all the blogs about hurricanes, rich snobs, pockets of wealth and bad areas with nothing in between. Is there enough to do in and near Boca?

It's not like my life is so exciting now, can't remember last time a neighbor invited me for tea. want my kids to play basketball outside, ridebikes with neighborhood kids. Does this place exist or only in my dreams?

I can be nice to a person with money or not. But reading about crime and transcients are unsettling. WE DON'T HAVE CRODIDILES IN L.I. EITHER! and Whats up with the "red ants"...can my kids run around on the lawn? problem is can't do it as a trial, I either move and don't look back or stay, buying and selling a house is for keeps. I can't drag my kids there and change my mind. Maybe I should just stop reading all the blogs, someone wrote about huge rats, ahhh!!! Thx for any info, your there, I'm not!
If you can't find neighbors to socialize with you won't find it here either without a big effort, like actively coordinating and searching out activities for everyone including you. This isn't that type of place.

When my kid was from 4 - 17 all my friends mostly came from his activities. BB in spring, summer swimming and playing outside at our different homes with sleepovers all weekend, Soccer in Fall, Hockey in winter.

We made our group of about 8-10 parents who all got along that we met when they were little...like 4....and stayed friends for all those years and treated each others kids as our own. Because in a big development or big group of "soccer parents" you're not going to hit it off personally with everyone. But we met each other and it worked out. We even took soccer trips to England and went to the shore together for vacations stuff like that.

I don't see kids riding bikes and playing outside AT ALL here.. I've been looking for it.

Yes the fire ants are real you need to destroy each mound for your kids and/or dogs.

Yes there are rats some places but if it makes you feel better they dont bother people LOL. And some snakes on occasion. I saw an 24 inch snake skin shed on a rock in my yard in a HOA development lol. It was probably a garter or black snake or some other innocuous type, and I'd be more afraid of the humans/kids hurting the snake than vice versa. But that's nature and we had it in PA and it's because of water, real canals, the river or fake lakes they put in for retention basins. The nature is NOT any problem here. But kids can't be left in the yard unsupervised in certain areas like especially further inland or up more north where there are poisonous snakes for real. My Winter Gardens friend has found several in his yard and driveway, his 4 kids dont play outside in the yard.

Forget the palm trees. You need to have a list of what you want prioritized .
My kid went to college in Boca there's nothing wrong with it, or Jupiter or Tequesta (my personal favorite).

You may be better off up here in Vero the schools have modulars which means there are plenty of kids. We have beautiful beaches and parks. I can't say about kid friendly but there ARE kids....I just never see them LOL. Vero is less populated than say, Jupiter which IS a family community so if you can find a better "pool" of kids down there then go for that instead. But the congestion IS moving north from Broward to Palm Beach to Martin etc.

Out West by the mall it's a normal suburban feel sans seeing kids.

If your kids social life is a priority you have ALOT OF RESEARCH TO DO IMO.

The lifestyle that we had in PA with our core group of families was something my son grew up with and tells everyone about still, how he felt he had 8 parents he could talk to , etc. I'm surprised it's not like that on Long Island where you live. IME my LI friends were similar. Even Bill OReilly said on Fox he still hangs out there with the same friends he had since he was 5

I'd really really examine the pros and cons first. If your kids can be happy using the beach as their main activity or entertain them selves with family then perhaps.......

JOBS are another story. My last interview was in Miami.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-25-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 09:15 PM

Default thx for your responses!

after waiting two days I thought maybe no one would respond. I found both your answers very enlightening and I appreciate them.(tri and sissor)I feel like a cat chasing my tail, if I stand sill long enough I may see that what I have RIGHT NOW is GOOD ENOUGH, but the "american dream" and good, better, and best, is that feeling that over there is better. Its a fact that I don't thrive in cold weather at all. People here don't seem bothered by it at all, some like it. As soon as it hits May until August when its nice here my mood changes substantially, with the sun. I think thats one of the main things I was chasing, "a lifestyle" and a palm tree!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterviewgal View Post
after waiting two days I thought maybe no one would respond. I found both your answers very enlightening and I appreciate them.(tri and sissor)I feel like a cat chasing my tail, if I stand sill long enough I may see that what I have RIGHT NOW is GOOD ENOUGH, but the "american dream" and good, better, and best, is that feeling that over there is better. Its a fact that I don't thrive in cold weather at all. People here don't seem bothered by it at all, some like it. As soon as it hits May until August when its nice here my mood changes substantially, with the sun. I think thats one of the main things I was chasing, "a lifestyle" and a palm tree!
I am just like you and couldn't wait to move to Florida after spending half my life here when I could. My father lived here, my mother had a condo here etc.

You need to widen your calendar to March through November for the positive attitude LOL. That's why I did to deal with it.

I did spring cleaning in March telling myself YAY it's spring no more snow storms. Lame, right?

My son went to college here for that reason, so my mom could spend more time in her condo all year since she would never move here full time while he was still "young"....and it took me 10 years to get a package from my job to be able to move.

You can make it here if you have a job. The family thing is so personal, it's hard to say. If there are grandparents, cousins etc that are part of the kid's lives then it's a big change.

Last night I went to the beach and was going to deliberately focus on the kid "headcount" LOL.

I didnt have to look far. We have playgrounds at each beach access and they were loaded with families. And there were tons of people that were not seniors all over the place everywhere, eating out, walking, on the beach etc. Teenagers through every age. Lots of little kids being pushed on swings too.

If you can find a job tell the kids it's a temporary trial and see how it works out, if they're like you they'll probably LOVE it....I mean really, swimming ALL YEAR LONG? It's awesome.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,875 times
I am new to this website and I thought I would give my impression of West Boca. Moved here 5 years ago, just in time for Jeanne, Francis and Wilma, rented for 1 and 1/2 until my family and I found the right area and home. I strongly recommend renting so you and your family can be sure this is for you. Housing prices are very good now and will continue to be for a while.
West Boca is family oriented. Schools are good. I am in a home that is 25+ years old. I knew going in what that meant but the big plus is I have over a 1/4 acre of land. No zero lot lines. My family has lots of space to run and play on my property.
I agree with an earlier post, we met alot of people through Son's sports. We spend alot of time together. Kids ride bikes and scooters all the time. Beach is close 20 minute drive. For under $40. you get a yearly beach pass. Love going to the beach year round.

I will say one thing about living here. When I lived up north, I was always doing repairs or working around the house on the weekends. Now, I find myself going to the beach or lazing out back much more often than before. There is a definite difference in how I approach my time off. Spending time with my family much more now than ever before.

Hope this helps

Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Default Thanks for very good insight and info!

runwithsissors: I was greatful that you took the time to look around at the park, thx! You have a really good take on things.
Aandnmgmt, I'm new too. Thanks also for your reply. Thats what I'm looking for, outside fun for kids and such and "lifestyle". Things are so significantly different here from summer and winter. You know if you've lived up North. HIBERNATION!!!

following similiar threads and read a response today regarding Florida's summers being equal to Northwests cold winters, saying she was looking outside at the 100 degree temps and STUCK inside.

This scares me a little. Can you tell me how you cope with July and August and if you agree with this take on it? Thx! How do people cope, and what do they do during this time?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,986 times
I live on Long Island also. I've been out here for 4 months, I dated someone for 3 years that lived here and now we are engaged and living together until he lands a job in FL and we move down. I lived in Brooklyn for 5 1/2 years before moving to LI and originated from Palm Beach Gardens, FL. After living in both places, I'll take FL hands down. Yes it is hot in the summer like no tomorrow but the exchange for what we have up here is genuinely worth it. There is ice cold AC everywhere you go and having a pool in your community or backyard is priceless. In the end, your quality of life is better, you're not slaving to pay your rediculously high taxes, and a walk on the beach to mellow out is a mere 20 minutes or less away.

The LIRR tickets are going up 33% in June which brings my monthly Deer Park to Penn Station ticket to $325. As long as you can land a good job, there is no reason not to make the move.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 PM

Default appreciate the feedback M5

Its nice to get the take on someone who lives in the same area. I just read over two-hundred responses to "is living in florida year round a great place to live", gonna pay for that tomorrow because its so late(this stuff is addicting!) anyway people really trashed it, giant cockroaches(cant' believe I just spelled that word) only 6 good weeks,etc.. If I continue to read I'll never move!

oh yeah said no community sense due to all the snow birding and vacant houses. I guess the people with negative experiences don't have the same opportunities as those with positive ones, told you it was late now I'm not even making sense to myself. better go off this thing, thx for reading!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:14 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,986 times
I really hate those kinds of comments and almost take them personally. Life is what you make of it no matter where you are. I was in between jobs up here while living in Brooklyn. I had a 1 bedroom place for $1000 and managed to pay my bills by working at CVS for 2 months while looking for a better job. Life is hard and there will always be challenges and hurdles. I grew up in Florida and have lots of friends and family in the area and everyone is doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach