Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 PM

60 posts, read 218,271 times

Advertisements

I've only recently started doing some research on the PB area & it's all overwhelming...Need serious advise as to what section of WPB would be better suited for my family...

Currently we are in NC which I think is one of the best places to raise a family but the winters here are getting as brutal(even w/out the snow) as up North, I'm originally from Jersey.
We are in our late 40's but started a family again & have a 19 year old & a 4 year old...

We are looking for a family friendly place with a good school system. However we don't want to be in a dead town either, we enjoying taking walks, riding bikes, shopping, going to parks, beach etc. Despite our age we want to be in a hip place with lots of movement & everthing close by. Something NC is also lacking.

The catch of course are employment & housing. We may rent our house in NC instead of selling(just in case) Hubby works for the city in the parking decks downtown & I am an asst. manager in an apartment complex but am currently studying to get my real estate license sometime next month.

My husband has an aunt in Palm Springs which we've visited twice but they were very short visits.

I have some concerns about Florida like:
1)How high are property taxes(we only pay 1500/yearly for a 1900sqfthome)
2)How high is homeowners insurance(Ours is 500/yearly)
3)Do all communities have HOA(ours is only $30p/month & there's a great pool). We do prefer to buy where there are no HOA next time.
4)How are elementary schools? Not a good reputation in Fl on that.
5)Do the schools offer free busing for the students(NC does)
6)How about colleges(my 19 year old will be finishing her 2nd year in our local community college in December & we have to decide where she will go from there)

Soo much to think about...We have pretty much decided that Florida is the path we want to take but need some guidance from you'all as to what the best areas for our needs might be.

Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical View Post
I've only recently started doing some research on the PB area & it's all overwhelming...Need serious advise as to what section of WPB would be better suited for my family...

Currently we are in NC which I think is one of the best places to raise a family but the winters here are getting as brutal(even w/out the snow) as up North, I'm originally from Jersey.
We are in our late 40's but started a family again & have a 19 year old & a 4 year old...

We are looking for a family friendly place with a good school system. However we don't want to be in a dead town either, we enjoying taking walks, riding bikes, shopping, going to parks, beach etc. Despite our age we want to be in a hip place with lots of movement & everthing close by. Something NC is also lacking.

The catch of course are employment & housing. We may rent our house in NC instead of selling(just in case) Hubby works for the city in the parking decks downtown & I am an asst. manager in an apartment complex but am currently studying to get my real estate license sometime next month.

My husband has an aunt in Palm Springs which we've visited twice but they were very short visits.

I have some concerns about Florida like:
1)How high are property taxes(we only pay 1500/yearly for a 1900sqfthome)
2)How high is homeowners insurance(Ours is 500/yearly)
3)Do all communities have HOA(ours is only $30p/month & there's a great pool). We do prefer to buy where there are no HOA next time.
4)How are elementary schools? Not a good reputation in Fl on that.
5)Do the schools offer free busing for the students(NC does)
6)How about colleges(my 19 year old will be finishing her 2nd year in our local community college in December & we have to decide where she will go from there)

Soo much to think about...We have pretty much decided that Florida is the path we want to take but need some guidance from you'all as to what the best areas for our needs might be.

Thanks for the help!!

Look to the Jupiter, Wellington, Boca, or Palm Beach Gardens area. As for the rest of your questions:

1) Figure about 2% of assessed value. Assessed value will not necessarily correlate with sale price. For budgeting purposes, however, if you buy a 250k house, ASSUME you will pay 5k in property taxes. It will most likely be lower, but you don't want to be caught off guard. Of course, that's in the mid-high range as far as states go, but unlike NC, we don't have income tax, don't have a yearly car tax, and don't get taxed on groceries (prepared foods, we do). And it is written off on federal income taxes.

2) Insurance: it depends on the house, location and distance from water, etc. Expect to pay at least $1500/year. The closer to the water, the more expensive. Shop around with at least two independent insurance agents who have access to many and different companies.

3) Not all communities have HOAs, though many many do. Fees can range from $50/month to $500/month, though there are many excellent non-HOA neighborhoods. In Jupiter, for example, there is Jupiter Farms (which will get you lower insurance and no HOA), and the "Heights" neighborhood, near Abacoa (a big subdivision/community in Jupiter with parks, ballfields, etc.)

4) In the areas I listed, the schools are excellent. Greatschools.net, for example, gives the Jupiter school system a "10" out of 10. Higher than Cary, NC.

5) Yes

6) Plenty of colleges (public and private) in Florida. In Palm Beach County, there is a public university, Florida Atlantic University. And of course, the big state schools in Gainesville and Tallahassee (UF and FSU), in addition to others such as UCF, USF, and UNF.

If you do come down, I would recommend you rent in an area for 6 months to a year.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,033 times
I agree with TriMT7.

I have lived in Jupiter over 30 years and have raised a family here. Both of my children attended Limestone Creek Elementary School and Jupiter Middle. Both chose Magnet Schools for high school, my son attended Suncoast and daughter Dreyfoos School of the Arts. Son graduated University of Central Florida in Orlanda, daughter graduated in December from Florida State University in Tallahassee (note: it took her 3 1/2 years to get her degree; she worked a part time job, she volunteered, made the President's List twice, and Dean's List all other semesters)

There is a small town in northern Palm Beach County called Tequesta. The homes are a little older, not in HOA's, beaches are close, we have an old historic Lighthouse. The JTAA has a great sports programs. Crime is low. The neighborhoods are full of children.

But you won't go wrong with Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens either.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Default relocation

Wow, thanks everyone for your insights..I'm going to start looking into the places mentioned....If you have more specific neighborhoods in mind please do list them....

Also does anyone know how the job market would be for a real estate agent? Please don't tell me about the housing market, I know the situation but I feel that eventually it will pick up again...Here in NC(especially where I live) I have many friends that are realtors & even though the market has slowed some they are still doing pretty good....What would be the case in Florida.

Please real estate agents feel free to chime in.....What are the local real estate agencies in those area?

Please keep your opinions coming everyone...It's really helpful to have feedback from people with knowledge of the area.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical View Post
Wow, thanks everyone for your insights..I'm going to start looking into the places mentioned....If you have more specific neighborhoods in mind please do list them....

Also does anyone know how the job market would be for a real estate agent? Please don't tell me about the housing market, I know the situation but I feel that eventually it will pick up again...Here in NC(especially where I live) I have many friends that are realtors & even though the market has slowed some they are still doing pretty good....What would be the case in Florida.

Please real estate agents feel free to chime in.....What are the local real estate agencies in those area?

Please keep your opinions coming everyone...It's really helpful to have feedback from people with knowledge of the area.
It is what you make of it... It's definitely not a part time job type of market. I've had million dollar months and then 0 dollar months...
Buyers all think they are going to steal something, and sellers don't want to believe that their property has been affected by the down market. It really is a different market than it's ever been.
You can study for your Florida license online. I went through goldcoast. The test is supposed to be one of the hardest. I didn't find it too bad though.
If you can find some form of a night job part time to supplement the income than it might be worth a shot. With your apartment management background you may want to get into the property management aspect of it and ease your way into being a realtor.

The areas mentioned above would be a great place to become a realtor though. Lots of great neighborhoods and lots of high end properties where you might be able to get lucky and get a big sale to pay the bills for awhile.

All in all if you are going to put your all into it you will do fine, if not than you may want to consider something else. Also be prepared to pay like 1500-2000 to get started with all the dues/classes/supplies.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Default relocating

Thanks skylinet,

I am actually starting the class here on Saturday, it will be for 5 weekends & than they'll be giving us the NC state exam. I haven't paid yet so I can still opt out.

If I get my NC license & end up relocating to Florida next year will I have to take the FL state exam or is it possible to just transfer my license...Like the DL where you would only have to take an eye exam.

I'm trying to see if it will be worth it for me to get my license here or just wait until we move to Fl.

I heard that taking online classes are harder than being in the class, that's why I opted for the actual classes even though it's going to take away 5 weekends, uuurgh!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM

check the Florida licensing website. There are states that have reciprocity. I'm not sure if N.C. is one of them. If it isn't I would hold off if you are serious about moving because you will have to retake the test in FL.
I was licensed in WI where I'm from so it wasn't too bad for me to do it online. If you do it online, I think you can still take the cram course at the end.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM

Default relocating

I just checked some sites & NC & FL don't have the reciprocity. Something that I'm confused on is that there's mention of having to have a sales associate license before being able to take the course for broker.

In NC I'd be taking the class for broker even if I don't have a sales associate license.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM

In FL you have to be an associate for a year, or at least have a year experience, to become a broker.
If you are just starting off jumping into being a broker may be tough. You can become a broker and work for another broker of course.
I would ask yourself how good you are at remembering the book. If you are going to forget alot of things than you may want to hold off and just take it in Florida. That is of course if you know you are coming down here for sure...

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Default relocating

Well I am starting Real Estate School in a couple of days...In NC they've bypassed the Sales Associate license for a 'Provisional Broker' license, working under a broker.

I think this will help me acquire the knowledge & get started in my real estate career....and if we do move to Florida I will be better prepared & will be able to take the class online before we leave...

Thanks for your info skylinet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach