Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 34,231 times

Advertisements

I'm so sick of this state. Besides the disgusting weather and all the other un-pleasantries, I've now got multiple lizards living in my house. They're so fast that they're impossible to catch. Plus, they hang out on the vaulted ceilings in my living room and great room where we can't reach them. Now we've got a 10 inch lizard on the ceiling.

How do you get rid of them? How do you keep them out permanently? Are there any extermination companies that specialize in them? We've got dozens living outside too, and I don't know how they get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
Move...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm36 View Post
I'm so sick of this state. Besides the disgusting weather and all the other un-pleasantries, I've now got multiple lizards living in my house. They're so fast that they're impossible to catch. Plus, they hang out on the vaulted ceilings in my living room and great room where we can't reach them. Now we've got a 10 inch lizard on the ceiling.

How do you get rid of them? How do you keep them out permanently? Are there any extermination companies that specialize in them? We've got dozens living outside too, and I don't know how they get in.
Move to Arizona you will get huge tarantulas and scorpions in your house all the time instead.

Lizards? I get them all the time, Anoles but mostly Geckos. They are harmless with exception to the poop which may harbor salmonella. Not that it's iguana size mess.

I typically catch them in a dixie cup, it's not hard at all. If they get away sooner or later they will expose themselves.

They are good to have around your house, think of it as free pest care. Your not going to get rid of them around your house either, why would you want to?

Check the seals around your door, do you open it often? If so then you need to do it slowly.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,236 times
I agree, I don't know how they get in. I woke up once, and saw a big one on the ceiling. Scared me to death. I heard that the big ones can bite too. Not as bad as the "Palmetto Bugs" I have an immaculate house, and have seen two of these things. I bleached the house, threw away the toaster, called the exterminator, I am thinking about getting a cat or dog, maybe a pet can take care of those critters.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,596,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
I agree, I don't know how they get in. I woke up once, and saw a big one on the ceiling. Scared me to death. I heard that the big ones can bite too. Not as bad as the "Palmetto Bugs" I have an immaculate house, and have seen two of these things. I bleached the house, threw away the toaster, called the exterminator, I am thinking about getting a cat or dog, maybe a pet can take care of those critters.
LOL you people are something else.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 PM

22 posts, read 132,444 times
Cats can get "liver flukes" from eating lizards. So, instead of cleaning up lizard-poop, you'll be cleaning up cat poop/urine when they stop using their litter box.

As mentioned previously: move.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 AM

141 posts, read 453,807 times
I like anoles. Used to have many of them as pets as a kid. They are harmless...ide rather lizards than roaches/waterbugs. Just like where I live now in brooklyn...block has a lot of cats...but i rather them over rats and mice.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM

98 posts, read 424,967 times
I have grown fond of them, myself. We had an ant problem - until the lizards decided to get inside our house. Have no idea how they got in - but I'm ok with them. And there are no more ants. We have a giant dog, and the lizards have no fear of him - so the dog idea might not work for you. Cats .. maybe.

I empathize with your dislike of the lizards - but they're just doing what lizards do. I can't recommend exterminating them. In the grand scheme of things - they were here well before we were (like a 140 million years before). I hope you can learn to tolerate coexistence with the nature around here.

Best of luck -

Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,770 times
Actually, I'm rather fond of lizards, but I didn't know about the liver flukes. Thanks, Vanilla_Ice. I just drop a towel on them. You can scoop them up easily and carry them outside. In this old house, mine just come in under the door.

Please don't kill them. It upsets the balance of nature.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
I haven't had a lizard INSIDE the house (except if the cat brings one in half dying) yet .... but plenty outside. They are no big deal. Kinda cute.... except the REALLY BIG curly tailed ones, which can skeeve me out for a couple seconds if I'm caught off guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach