Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times

Advertisements

I watched the 3 hour video on the "Townhall Meeting" in the Acreage last night. Here's a link to the Palm Beach Post where I think the video is still listed although it also states that Palm Beach County will also have the vidoe on their website but I didn't see it just now when I visited it.

Acreage residents beg for help at cancer cluster meeting

More news: Acreage cancer cluster | The Palm Beach Post (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/special/topics/Acreage_Cancer_Watch/#videos - broken link)

I owned a home in the Paddock Park 1 section of Wellington ( Squire Dr ) which is right across Southern from Royal Palm Beach ( Acreage ). Despite all that money in Paddock, we also had well water. I developed some real health problems ( not cancer ) and I don't know if there's a connection.

I would find it hard to believe that IF there's a real "cancer cluster" as is claimed that Paddock Park which is less than a mile away would be immune to it.

This is a big one folks and I have an opinion about lots of it that I won't disclose at this time. What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
We are on the border of the cluster, but I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't concerned. Good thing about Wellington though, much of the village has city water either Village of Wellington or PBCWUD but then again, I don't know if it's the water, no-one knows for sure? The state said the water quality was okay but who knows?

Some are blaming Pratt and their are already lawsuits against them.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
THX do you have an exact map of the areas involved?
I am in the process of purchasing a home on 63rd Road N directly off of Seminole Pratt.

The person who owned the home died of Cancer ( lung and brain) neighbors told me he lived a wild lifestyle and was exposed to asbestos during his construction career.
I am at a loss here.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM

492 posts, read 1,397,303 times
Try this:
west palm beach cancer cluster the acreage - Google Search

Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 PM

85 posts, read 271,940 times
Who knows where the soil came from,alot of the acreage/lox area was growing fields yrs ago.There could be residual seepage into the ground from as far back as the 70's "agent orange" and Pratt Whitney could have dumped stuff years ago. I am sure in this county someone got paid and looked the other way.No cancer in Ibis,bay village and the area's around Publix on Northllake.
I know yrs ago when everyone was building out there I saw dump truck after dump truck dump anything & everything in those lots & also to fill in ponds,,,I tought,man I wouldn't want that "stuff" in my yard.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:13 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
When I first moved out here just over 18 years ago, I would see barrels that were dumped in lots right around Coconut and Northlake. I don't know what was in them. People are too quick to sue Pratt Whitney without knowing it is their fault. People are too quick to have water put out here right away without knowing if it is the water or not. I don't know and have no clue what would be causing this "cancer cluster". What needs to be done is to find what is causing the problem, then fix it if it can be fixed. Changing the water and suing companies will not solve the problem, at least in my opinion. The county labeled our area a cancer cluster, now they can tell us where it comes from.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
THX do you have an exact map of the areas involved?
I am in the process of purchasing a home on 63rd Road N directly off of Seminole Pratt.

The person who owned the home died of Cancer ( lung and brain) neighbors told me he lived a wild lifestyle and was exposed to asbestos during his construction career.
I am at a loss here.
This is your best source of info, map with all the stats listed....zoom out very scary looking picture:

The Acreage Cancer Study - Home

Dunno if Pratt is to blame, sure they dumped 250K of jet fuel during the hurricanes, and other toxins but I know people that worked there back in the 60's and the heyday that are old and gray and still kicking. Maybe just lucky, they also stated a high pet mortality rate dunno if that's based on the water or soil leeching something?

I don't know if it will be another Times Beach, MO either?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 AM

261 posts, read 704,857 times
We moved down here in June. We are at the far western boundary of Loxahatchee, and there haven't been any cancer cases in our immediate area. But, we have a 2 year old and are of course very concerned even though we haven't been drinking the water. I'm hoping the upcoming testing will get to the bottom of things so we can all move on with our lives. I feel terrible for the people who have gotten sick, of course.

When we bought this place, we thought the market had hit bottom for sure, LOL. Then the brain cancer story broke right after we closed on the house. SKB, right now you could probably trade a used Honda civic for the house you are looking at. I have a friend who wants to move out of here and he's pretty much given up all hope of selling his property.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,513 times
THX 1138,

The person who died on 63rd is not even listed on that map and the lady that lived in the house that I am renting on 68th street died of Breast Cancer and that is not listed either.
I wonder how many others that have died of some form of cancer have not been included on the map.

Blacksmith,
I contacted my realtor by e mail and told him that I wish to change my offer to now reflect the current cancer cluster situation.
He has not returned my e mail.
I had offered 200,000 but now I am wondering what I should change the offer to?

This is so scary, I know that my little Pekingese may have a brain tumor. He had a MRI for his neck problem in Canada in 07 and at that time I was told he had a brain cyst that was irrelevant. Lately his vision has gotten really poor and his hearing is going and he seems dazed a lot of the time and whines a lot at me. He had a seizure the other night. These are all symptoms of a brain tumor.
We had been giving him tap water. In fact we gave tap water to all of our pets ( four dogs, two cats, two birds)
I am scared as heck now.
We love living out here but now we are questioning what we should do.

This is a horrid place to be emotionally.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM

261 posts, read 704,857 times
SKB, I'm not sure what your current situation is, but if I were you, I would wait until more testing is done before I bought anything, unless you really have your heart set on that house. If all the results come back showing no real issues, it won't be such a gamble. It is going to be a buyers market for a long time, I think, with the stigma that's going to be attached to this area. It could just turn out to be much ado about nothing, but if not ... who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach