Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

68 posts, read 145,860 times

Advertisements

I'll give you just a bit of background..

We currently live in Upstate NY. I lived in Tampa for about 8 years, but have been back in NY for about 10. My inlaws ive in Boynton Beach (they moved about 6 years ago) and my SIL and her family live in Juno Beach. We have 3 young children..4 and 2 year old twin boys. My husband is currently the only one working because I stopped working to stay home with the kids about a year ago (it made the most sense $ wise because of daycare for 3 kids). I'm currently in school for Court Reporting. I'll be finished about the time my boys head to kindergarten.

There is a possibility that my husband could be offered a position in the coming months with a company in West Palm. It would be a great thing for him career wise. We love South Florida for vacation, but it would not have been our first choice when it came to places to relocate to...but the pull of the new career path is making us consider it. The area we live in has zero opportunity. I know that everywhere is experiencing job issues, but I can honestly say there is next to zero here for him.

Clearly, there a lot of pros to moving..we have family there, the weather during the late fall, winter and early spring is fairly comfortable (I lived in Tampa..so I'm familiar with the summers..ugh). We love the beach and any kind of activites associated with it..we both detest the winters. There are a more opportunities for activites for us than there are where we live.

But, my husband is not thrilled with the summers. However, everything is air conditioned and don't go running at noon and you'll be fine..lol We're also worried about finding an affordable area with good schools (my SIL suggested Lake Charleston area), I dislike the grass..a lot (lol..it's so crunchy!), snowbirds and tourists during the winter making everything crazy. The expense of insurance is through the roof.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me all the reasons it IS a good place to be..and a good place to raise a family.

Thanks so much for any input or help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,401,837 times
Lake Charleston (one of a few nice neighborhoods in that area) is a very nice affordable area. 4 bedroom homes around 180-300's there (roughly 100 a sqft), taxes are around 2%, and HOA dues are low for Palm Beach County standards. Lots of lakes and a couple nice parks in the neighborhood. Schools are highly rated, and there is a good amount of convenience shopping in the area.
There is a lot of grass though

Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM

239 posts, read 474,424 times
HERE'S my two cents. WEATHER, more SPACE, NO STATE SALES TAX, CHEAPER AND NICER HOMES (ALL relative of course) CHEAPER AMENITIES, WEATHER, NICE PEOPLE,

DID I mention the weather ? feel free to direct message me, I'LL tell you more if you like! ... just my OPINION by the way!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks, RA!

I just direct messaged you!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 PM

141 posts, read 453,938 times
I agree with ra. Wife and I bought a winter home in PBG and we are moving there for good later this month.

There is state sales tax (6.5%) which is still cheaper than most states especially NYC. There is no state income tax which is huge for me since I work online. Your money goes a lot further in florida than it does in NY. More land, more house, newer construction, more space, less stress, fresher air, less people means nicer people and less congestion, no over crowding like NYC, smoother roads and streets, better views, better weather.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM

171 posts, read 692,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonersgirl View Post
I'll give you just a bit of background..

We currently live in Upstate NY. I lived in Tampa for about 8 years, but have been back in NY for about 10. My inlaws ive in Boynton Beach (they moved about 6 years ago) and my SIL and her family live in Juno Beach. We have 3 young children..4 and 2 year old twin boys. My husband is currently the only one working because I stopped working to stay home with the kids about a year ago (it made the most sense $ wise because of daycare for 3 kids). I'm currently in school for Court Reporting. I'll be finished about the time my boys head to kindergarten.

There is a possibility that my husband could be offered a position in the coming months with a company in West Palm. It would be a great thing for him career wise. We love South Florida for vacation, but it would not have been our first choice when it came to places to relocate to...but the pull of the new career path is making us consider it. The area we live in has zero opportunity. I know that everywhere is experiencing job issues, but I can honestly say there is next to zero here for him.

Clearly, there a lot of pros to moving..we have family there, the weather during the late fall, winter and early spring is fairly comfortable (I lived in Tampa..so I'm familiar with the summers..ugh). We love the beach and any kind of activites associated with it..we both detest the winters. There are a more opportunities for activites for us than there are where we live.

But, my husband is not thrilled with the summers. However, everything is air conditioned and don't go running at noon and you'll be fine..lol We're also worried about finding an affordable area with good schools (my SIL suggested Lake Charleston area), I dislike the grass..a lot (lol..it's so crunchy!), snowbirds and tourists during the winter making everything crazy. The expense of insurance is through the roof.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me all the reasons it IS a good place to be..and a good place to raise a family.

Thanks so much for any input or help!
It is a big decision that you're making so I hope it turns out well for you. I think that my hubby, 3 kids, and I may be heading down also. I'm nervous since I've never lived outside of Ohio. Good luck with your move.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:04 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,898,958 times
I agree with previous posters siting the pros, plus I'll add that you can say goodbye to high heating bills, you won't get a heart attack from shoveling snow, your children can play outside year-round without frostbite and your fingertips will not crack and bleed due to excessive dryout from winter heat.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:17 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,599,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinked View Post
I agree with ra. Wife and I bought a winter home in PBG and we are moving there for good later this month.

There is state sales tax (6.5%) which is still cheaper than most states especially NYC. There is no state income tax which is huge for me since I work online. Your money goes a lot further in florida than it does in NY. More land, more house, newer construction, more space, less stress, fresher air, less people means nicer people and less congestion, no over crowding like NYC, smoother roads and streets, better views, better weather.
By state sales tax I think you mean PBC sales tax which is no longer 6.5%, the 1/2 cent tax expired and is now back at 6%.

There are a lot of threads on the comparisons of elsewhere and here, it's all relative. Also a lot of New Yorkers live here, so although you may avoid them in their Manhattan element, you will still experience some of the things you are running away from here.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
By state sales tax I think you mean PBC sales tax which is no longer 6.5%, the 1/2 cent tax expired and is now back at 6%.

There are a lot of threads on the comparisons of elsewhere and here, it's all relative. Also a lot of New Yorkers live here, so although you may avoid them in their Manhattan element, you will still experience some of the things you are running away from here.

I'm actually from Upstate New York and, thankfully, don't live in NYC! However, if my husband gets this job I'd be happy to deal with some snarky people from NYC rather than -10 degrees and 12 inches of snow! LOL

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,599,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonersgirl View Post
te]

I'm actually from Upstate New York and, thankfully, don't live in NYC! However, if my husband gets this job I'd be happy to deal with some snarky people from NYC rather than -10 degrees and 12 inches of snow! LOL
I know a few people from Rochester and Syracuse, they miss it and want to go back. Seems it all centers on their kids upbringing, quality of education and life.

Lake effect snows and weeks of overcast grey skies don't seem to be a factor in their thinking, I know that sounds odd but these people lived here for a number of years, one as long as 20+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach