Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:39 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times

Advertisements

So, I've lived in WV most of my life, and I mean I love getting out and going all over the country and world for my travels. But I always can't wait to get home to WV. Also I get so frustrated when people start talking crap about WV. Do people really think we all sit on our front porches and pluck on banjos??!! I really don't think its cool, and it makes people look like jerks. It seems to me that WV is the only state in the union that gets regularly made fun of. I'm assuming half of the people that get off on making fun of WV probably haven't even been here. If you guys could just tell me what is so cool about it, shed some light... I'm interested to see the responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
No clue buddy. I was already in West Virginia before I'd ever heard of it. Y'all have some kick-ass scenery and mellow, friendly people. It's my most favorite place that's still (barely) cold enough for snow.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,627 times
WV isn't the only state that people refer to as backwards. AL, AR, KY, etc. hear that stuff often.

I was even considering moving to WV at one time as I have a friend that told me it's absolutely gorgeous, even prettier than VA, and I'm looking for gorgeous.

There are people in every state including the one in which I live where people live "differently", if you will. I'd rather see banjo pluckers on porches than old junky refrigerators and stoves, and trash lying all over the front yard.

I've never been to WV but one day hope to visit. Because of many reasons, I have decided to concentrate on SW VA as a possible retirement place after eliminating NC, TN, KY, and WV. The reasons had nothing to do with banjos.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
West Virginia is a beautiful place to visit but not a great place to live.

Alot of towns are cute but due to all the mining the streets are dirty.

If you do buy a home you do not know if the mining companies have dug and mine underneath your property causing water contamination and sinking of the house.
I love the New River Gorge though.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Every state gets made fun of in some way. Colorado: My kids have been asked if they skiied or rode horses to school. (Answer: NO. Went by bike, car or bus; we live in suburbia.) Illinois: Miles and miles of cornfields. (True) Pennsylvania: Out here in Colorado thought of as a 'concrete' state in the big, bad, east. People are amazed, and for the most part disbelieving, when I tell them it still has a large amount of forest land. Nebraska: What is your opinion of that state? Most pepple are disbelieving, again, when I tell them my DH is a 'city boy' from Nebraska. These are the main states I'm familiar with, have lived in all but Nebraska.

Personally, I like W. VA. Beautiful state. Have thought of retiring there.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
West Virginia is a beautiful place to visit but not a great place to live.

Alot of towns are cute but due to all the mining the streets are dirty.

If you do buy a home you do not know if the mining companies have dug and mine underneath your property causing water contamination and sinking of the house.
I love the New River Gorge though.
I have never seen a dirty street from mining..... I don't play around in Southern WV much where the majority of the mines are. But in Huntington, Charleston, Parkersburg, Morgantown, Martinsburg, Elkins, Buckhannon, Fairmont, Clarskburg, Bluefield, Beckley, Wheeling and Brideport (Main Cities) the streets are clean and if their dirty is from random pollution or something. Also, I'm 100% mines have not dug a hole under my house. I'm pretty sure that information has to be disclosed and that homes cannot be built on top of it in the future and the past mine sites have been termed turned into tree farms, etc. The New River Gorge is amazing though!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 PM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
So, I've lived in WV most of my life, and I mean I love getting out and going all over the country and world for my travels. But I always can't wait to get home to WV. Also I get so frustrated when people start talking crap about WV. Do people really think we all sit on our front porches and pluck on banjos??!! I really don't think its cool, and it makes people look like jerks. It seems to me that WV is the only state in the union that gets regularly made fun of. I'm assuming half of the people that get off on making fun of WV probably haven't even been here. If you guys could just tell me what is so cool about it, shed some light... I'm interested to see the responses
I would have chosen West Virginia as a retirement destination if I thought there was enough to do there (my particular hobbies/skills/likes) to keep me busy. It's a beautiful state.

As far as banjos go, if they taught banjo in high school music classes in, oh, I don't know, NJ, it would be just another string instrument and if there was a reason to sit on your porch and play an inexpensive oboe...maybe that would be the musical instrument of choice in rural West Virginia.

Next time you hear a crack about banjo players, ask the questioner what musical instrument he/she plays?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I have never seen a dirty street from mining..... I don't play around in Southern WV much where the majority of the mines are. But in Huntington, Charleston, Parkersburg, Morgantown, Martinsburg, Elkins, Buckhannon, Fairmont, Clarskburg, Bluefield, Beckley, Wheeling and Brideport (Main Cities) the streets are clean and if their dirty is from random pollution or something. Also, I'm 100% mines have not dug a hole under my house. I'm pretty sure that information has to be disclosed and that homes cannot be built on top of it in the future and the past mine sites have been termed turned into tree farms, etc. The New River Gorge is amazing though!
Im not dishing the cities but some are dirty Williamson, Princeton , Welch etc.
and I dont mean dirty like trash just coal dust etc. It not a biggy it just something that comes with the industry.

I have relatives who live in Kentucky and I will not mention Mining company name due to libel issues but they also mine in WVA and my aunt refuse to allow them to mine underneath there house and within 5 years later there house began sinking in due to mining that was done underneath their property. So yes legally there suppose to disclose that and obtain a lease to mine on their property but some will go at any length to obtain the coal seam they desire.

Here are some examples of links to illegal activity going on in that state
Destruction of headwaters
Mountaintop Removal Mining Permits Illegal: Earthjustice: Environmental Law

example of a city dealing with coal dust
West Virginia Town Fights Blanket of Coal Dust - The NewStandard

coal slurry poisioning well waters
Meeting Two: Is Coal Slurry Poisoning Well Water?

Yes coal industry is great for that state but it also part of its downfall of what attracts people to that state which is the mountains.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:42 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,064 times
While it is demoralizing, I think W.Va. benefits alot from its status. People who actually love that state (such as me), don't have to share it. Honestly, W. Va. is the last vestige of an entirely rural state east of the Mississippi. The scenery is great, living is inexpensive, there is no pretension, great music and people. People pay alot of money to live in Calif. and Fla. when alot of them want the type of small town life that is a fifth of the price in West Virginia. It wouldn't take alot of people to destroy that. Sure, W. Va. has its poverty and mining problems, but when Phoenix drys up, Miami speaks Spanish and you actually do pay a million dollars for a LA shack, poverty will be the least of their problems. W. Va. will always be a winner. Hopefully no one in Washington D.C is reading this. Thats my two cents.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 PM

174 posts, read 528,528 times
Let me start by saying that I love the banjo! I have never figured out why people make fun of WV. I am from SW VA and have heard those dumb WV jokes for years. I live in Indiana right now and often hear people making fun of Kentucky. When I hear someone carry on like that it usually just makes me think less of the person.

Also, sometimes when people here ask me where I am from they think that I am from WV, I always correct them by saying that while I do like WV I am not from West Virginia, I am from Southwestern Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia