Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,047 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is in the process of relocating to WV. My husband is from WV originally and has been offered a job in Clarksburg. We have been looking at everything for sale online since we currenly live in FL. We did find a place in French Creek while visiting family up there a couple weeks ago but it is near railroad tracks. From what I can gather by my own research online it looks like it is the portion called the Cowen Subdivision that runs next to the house. What I can't find are train schedules that would tell us how often trains would be going by the house. Is there anyone that knows about this or where I would find the answer? This is a major concern before we submit an offer on the home. I don't mind trains but if they are going by every hour on the hour, at all hours of the night then we would definitely pass on this home. By the way, it's a foreclosure so it's not like we can just ask the previous owners. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 03:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Don't know about the trains, and French Creek is a beautiful area, but by WV standards isn't that a long commute to Clarksburg everyday?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,047 times
Yes, your right, the drive will be approx one hour 10 min from house to office. Not ideal but possible given that we have found a good deal on a foreclosure home with lots of potential. Our ultimate goal for now is to move from here in Florida so even though my husband will be going to work in Clarksburg initally, our hope is he can later find something else closer to home once we are settled. Most important thing right now is to have a job to go to and he's willing to put up with the drive just to get out of FL if you know what I mean French Creek seems like a nice little town to start off in......and as far as the trains, we did find out there is one only one train that goes by the house according to the locals so we think we will manage with that....just another compromise to get what we want. We'll see

Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD77 View Post
Yes, your right, the drive will be approx one hour 10 min from house to office. Not ideal but possible given that we have found a good deal on a foreclosure home with lots of potential. Our ultimate goal for now is to move from here in Florida so even though my husband will be going to work in Clarksburg initally, our hope is he can later find something else closer to home once we are settled. Most important thing right now is to have a job to go to and he's willing to put up with the drive just to get out of FL if you know what I mean French Creek seems like a nice little town to start off in......and as far as the trains, we did find out there is one only one train that goes by the house according to the locals so we think we will manage with that....just another compromise to get what we want. We'll see
Have you considered the weather? It snows in West Virginia ...deep ...and a lot. You'll need a 4x4 to assure he can get to the freeway, then the drive will be OK. I have relatives that commute about 60 miles from Harrisville to Clarksburg daily, but it has to be a real drag at times. There's no freeway out that way.

Surely there are other good buys in real estate closer to, or in, Clarksburg and Bridgeport.

What does your husband do? He may be limited in work opportunities outside of the Clarksburg/Fairmont area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia