Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:09 PM

25 posts, read 78,098 times

Advertisements

I felt I needed to share this with my fellow West Virginians -

I have been undecided on my Senate vote, so I sent an email to both John Raese and Joe Manchin today. Here is the content of the email. It also included my name and phone number which I omitted.

"For the first time in my life I registered as an indenpendent.Frankly, I
do not trust that any of you will do what you say you will do when
elected. I digress; I reside in the Eastern Panhandle and I am
specifically concerned with job growth and the "unfriendly" atmosphere
toward buisness in the panhandle. Which includes the lack of
infrastructure to support buisness. Coal will always be a valuable
resource and economic stimulator for WV. However, focus needs to be paid
to the Eastern Panhandle, this is the state's new ecnomic growth center!
What "SPECFICALLY" will you do to encourgae buisness growth, which in
turn will generate jobs in the Eastern Panhandle of WV. If it was not for
the race track, unemployment in the panhandle as well as the entire states
avg unemployment rate would be signficantly higher. How, do you propose to
improve the infrastructre in the panhandle to support buisness growth?
Specfically highway access and technology? You have been in office for
several years and in my opinion the panhandle has been overlooked. WV
needs to get past the coal and focus on the new econonmy which is
technology in the panhandle."

I got home from work and listened to the answer machine, and to my surprise there was a message from Joe Manchin with his cell number. Of course I was skeptical but I called the number back, and got his security guy "Jay" who advised me that the Gov. was in the middle of an event and he would let him know I called. So, around 8:30 I get a call from the Governor. We spoke for about 20 minutes, we discussed locality pay which he stated he pushed for it but could not get it through, He stated that we should maintain the bush tax cuts, at least for the immediate future. He also stated that he will be running again in 2 years, if he "screw's up" his words, kick him out. The conversation was like speaking with my father, very friendly and I felt that he was sincere.

I just wanted to share this experience with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
That's very nice, but if it weren't for the fact that he is behind in the polls what do you think the chances are that he would have paid any attention to you at all. I know I've sent him e-mails and gotten either no response or a canned response from one of his aides.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
I'm glad to hear he'll "maintain the Bush tax cuts", I'd hate for the rich to have to suffer.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
I'm glad to hear he'll "maintain the Bush tax cuts", I'd hate for the rich to have to suffer.
good one

Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 AM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's very nice, but if it weren't for the fact that he is behind in the polls what do you think the chances are that he would have paid any attention to you at all. I know I've sent him e-mails and gotten either no response or a canned response from one of his aides.
Actually, no he's not behind in the polls.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Actually, no he's not behind in the polls.
He's behind in all but one, and that one is of highly questionable validity.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
He's behind in all but one, and that one is of highly questionable validity.

Manchin up in PPP poll. Raese up in Fox poll.

I think the one that was questionable was the Marshall poll.

I think they are all questionable.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
The more conservative polls have RaeseCup in the lead while the.. well everything else polls have Manchin in the lead. (I wouldn't call them the liberal polls... because they're not)

Regardless, I'm voting for Manchin via absentee ballot. I'm not really happy with Manchin as a senator but compared to the other guy...

Raese, who was born into millions wants to do away with minimum wage?!?!? This guy has nothing in common with the average West Virginian. Why is he seeking office??? So he can work to pass legislation to make it easier for his company to get through loop holes and he can make even more money, while paying his workers less.

I don't understand how in a state like West Virginia where so many people are impoverished and lack medical coverage and are unable to work due to health problems... how people would ever consider voting for this guy.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
The more conservative polls have RaeseCup in the lead while the.. well everything else polls have Manchin in the lead. (I wouldn't call them the liberal polls... because they're not)

Regardless, I'm voting for Manchin via absentee ballot. I'm not really happy with Manchin as a senator but compared to the other guy...

Raese, who was born into millions wants to do away with minimum wage?!?!? This guy has nothing in common with the average West Virginian. Why is he seeking office??? So he can work to pass legislation to make it easier for his company to get through loop holes and he can make even more money, while paying his workers less.

I don't understand how in a state like West Virginia where so many people are impoverished and lack medical coverage and are unable to work due to health problems... how people would ever consider voting for this guy.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I met him yesterday. All I could do is stare at the amount of make-up he had on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia