Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM

20 posts, read 60,093 times

Advertisements

I was just looking and gas prices in WV have increased from $2.85 on November 2 to $3.05 on November 7. I have looked at other surrounding states and seen increases but none as much. Kentucky and Ohio have jumps starting November 4, but are no where near as much. Coastal states such as Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina have had around a $.04 jump.

So why is WV gas going up so high so quick? Another 6 cents and we will be paying what Californians are paying. They are the highest next to Alsaska and Hawaii.

I am really getting tired of getting screwed by gas companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,609,240 times
I live in VA, and I can say our prices have went up about .30 recently. Gas was 2.79 yesterday but a few weeks ago it was 2.49.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Tday's prices spikle with inventories mostly. But depending on where you live it can be higher because of mnay things from high cost due to local cost to do business at a station to smaller sales at the station. I bought gas today and it was 247.9 with my card discount of 3 cents a gallon.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
The reason gas is going up is Ben Bernanke. Now maybe WV is jumping the gun quicker than other states (though I live on the border and right now we are lower than neighboring Ohio).

Ben is crushing the dollar which will only cause the price of energy to continue climbing. He (wrongly) believes a weak dollar will increase exports and cause businesses to hire. While it might temporarily help a few businesses other countries aren't just going to sit on their thumbs. They will make moves to offset the weak dollar. Businesses will also see their costs jump because of the higher energy costs and continue to put off hiring.

We need a strong dollar combined with a tax policy that rewards those who create things here and costs those who send jobs overseas. We need a tax policy that encourages bringing dollars back on shore as opposed to driving more offshore.

As long as Ben is doing the driving you are going to be paying more and more for it.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM

566 posts, read 1,580,048 times
Last Wednesday, the Parkersburg area was at $2.81, Thursday morning the price jumped to $2.95, a 14 cent jump. Saturday morning, the price jumped to $3.09, another 14 cent jump. That's 28 cents in two days.

Gas Buddy shows $3.19 as the highest in WV.

I also blame the weaker dollar, caused by the Fed printing money out of thin air.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The reason gas is going up is Ben Bernanke. Now maybe WV is jumping the gun quicker than other states (though I live on the border and right now we are lower than neighboring Ohio).

Ben is crushing the dollar which will only cause the price of energy to continue climbing. He (wrongly) believes a weak dollar will increase exports and cause businesses to hire. While it might temporarily help a few businesses other countries aren't just going to sit on their thumbs. They will make moves to offset the weak dollar. Businesses will also see their costs jump because of the higher energy costs and continue to put off hiring.

We need a strong dollar combined with a tax policy that rewards those who create things here and costs those who send jobs overseas. We need a tax policy that encourages bringing dollars back on shore as opposed to driving more offshore.

As long as Ben is doing the driving you are going to be paying more and more for it.
I saw an article on the feds buying back bonds which is causing the dollar to get weaker and driving prices up. However, the article was written on November 7th and stated that we will "soon" see the proce of gas rise as the dollar value goes down. The rise in our area started on November 2nd and hasn't stopped since.

So are the gas companies foreseeing the future as raising early without justification just to make the extra buck?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 PM

VA prices have not been rising like ours have since November 2nd.

See link below for comparison graph.

http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=1&Areas= WestVirginia,Virginia,Ohio&Unit=US%20$/G

Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropeguru View Post
I saw an article on the feds buying back bonds which is causing the dollar to get weaker and driving prices up. However, the article was written on November 7th and stated that we will "soon" see the proce of gas rise as the dollar value goes down. The rise in our area started on November 2nd and hasn't stopped since.

So are the gas companies foreseeing the future as raising early without justification just to make the extra buck?
No, the attack on the dollar started months ago. If I get the chance I'll try and find a chart later but it shouldn't be hard to find.

The Fed has been attacking the dollar for a long time with a corresponding rise in oil (and nearly all commodities).

If the speculators decide to really jump on, we'll be back up to $4.00 in no time. In a good news/bad news way, the bad economy is stopping them from doing that.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:

http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=1&Areas= WestVirginia,Virginia,Ohio&Unit=US%20$/G
I'm not argueing that some areas may or may not be taking more advantage than others but that is just a symptom of the disease.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,609,240 times
Quote:

No matter what the graph says I stand by what I say. I have first hand knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia