Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times

Advertisements

How can one get rid of these bugs? As soon as it gets warm they are everywhere (inside and out). Is there anything we can put on our yard or a spray we can get. They wouldn't be so bad if they weren't everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
What are you calling stink bugs? pic please....

Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
I think they are talking about Lady Bugs. Well, the asian form of them that invaded the state back in the early 90's and stayed here. They smell when you try to kill them, they can bite you and leave a horrible mark, stain things, etc

I remember one day when I was little probably back in 1994. Our house was covered in them. Seriously you couldn't see the outside siding at all. My parents were tring to get them off. It was like they suddenly appeared, and ever since then they've been around

I think it was probably something the DNR dragged here to kill something else that ended up getting out of control. Again... ha ha

and if this is what you're talking about.... no there is nothing you can really do.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:00 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
The 'Lady Bug' was introduced to rid the forest of the 'gypsy moth'...the 'Lady Bugs' destroyed the smaller, friendlier old style 'Lady Bugs' and left the larger stinky version in its place...they also leave a black trail behind them...

a word of caution: These critters might be protected by tree hugger laws...Janipoo, you might just live in an area where these insects reproduce...as such, that area might be a protected site...this is not the old USA...it is the new USA and critters are more important than people...I would keep this under my hat and not speak of it in public...just go to the insecticide store and buy a bottle of their best poision...then use it liberally...my hope is that not only will you retard the spread of spiders, ants and termites...you might unwittenly remove some other unwanted unmentioned pests that have invaded you home and domain...good luck....
and from what I'm told...
'Unlady Bugs' are drawn to a white painted surface...for that reason, I'm going to paint our house Cabella Camoflage...one of their new green colors...no one will see it when I'm finished...good luck in your Spring Season Lady Bug Hunt...Its open season on them now!
No license is needed...

If you need the DNR...call Frank Jeziero...Rivesville lad...he might have an answer...

Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 AM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
There are sprays that you can buy at Southern States, Tractor Supply, etc. that are supposed to help repel the bugs and they do work to some extent. Pressure washing also helps a little as the bugs apparently follow some type of scent track which lets more get into your house easier. The pressure washing helps wash these tracks away (again this is from what I've heard and it did work for us). If they get inside your house, the best thing we've found to do is to get an old vacuum cleaner/shop vac and vacuum them up. This way they don't stink quite as bad but once you get so many in the vacuum cleaner, it can start to smell. That's why it's best to use an old one or a shop vac. Our dog would also eat them and that helped too. Hope this helps.
Tim

Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 AM

Bailey...was that dog a 'Beetle'....couldn't resist...work awaits...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post

I remember one day when I was little probably back in 1994. (
I almost cried when I read that... way, way back in 1994.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM

ha ha...

Kennedy I'm pretty sure thre are no laws protecting those things. They are an invasive species that got out of control. Way, way, way out of control.

and snorpus, back in my day in 1994. ha ha I know it seems like yesterday talking about it but its been 14 years ago. Kids that were born then are in high school! Crazy huh?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:03 PM

GHO: Watch the next 30 years pass like an instant...like the snap of the fingers...I liked the old lady bugs and the lightning bugs too...they are few and far between...the fishing on 'Dry Fork' has been pathetic...if you're going...don't waste your time...and Elkins is growing very nicely...as is Petersburg and Moorefield...

Old 03-27-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
GHO: Watch the next 30 years pass like an instant...like the snap of the fingers...I liked the old lady bugs and the lightning bugs too...they are few and far between...the fishing on 'Dry Fork' has been pathetic...if you're going...don't waste your time...and Elkins is growing very nicely...as is Petersburg and Moorefield...
I always go fishing near my house in Lower Glady, or up in Gandy. Fishing is never bad up there. I don't know if they've started stocking the rivers or not yet. Elkins is growing, we just got a Wal Greens, Aarons, Tractor Supply, Holiday Inn Express, and Apple bee's, and they are developing a large old farm by Wal Mart, so far a Hampton Inn is going up, but the other things they are building is being kept quiet. The Randolph County Housing Authority is also building 60 or so new homes in the southwestern part of town and annexing them in.

Some other projects going on, well I'm sure you've heard about the proposed windmills, (which I'm in favor of) 2 new Urgent Care locations are opening up, my mom is transferring from St. Joes in Buckhannon back up to Elkins to work at one of them. The drive to Buckhannon has destroyed her vehicle. The railroad yard and the tourist train are doing wonders for downtown Elkins. New shops opening in the rail-yard and the downtown actually has people in it again.

I haven't been to Petersburg or Moorefield in a while. I went probably 6 months ago to see a doctor in Moorefield. ha ha He's really good, and I've went to him for a long time. That’s why I made the drive from Huntington to Moorefield just for a doctor. I think Moorefield is so cute, and quant. But the smell, makes me sick to my stomach. The chicken plant, which I know is the life and heart of that town and region. But damn does it smell bad. ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia