Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,782 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything interesting about Alderson WV other than Martha Stewart and the FPC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times
It's a very pretty part of West Virginia, along the lower end of the Greenbrier River. I'd describe the area as more hilly than mountainous. Kind of "out of the way", but not too far (half an hour) from Lewisburg and White Sulphur Springs.

The area is generally rural, mostly farms with perhaps some logging.

Snorpus

Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
It's another dying railroad town like Ronceverte. It's good days are in the past.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 AM

107 posts, read 361,184 times
Alderson isn't dying but it is just filled with retirees because of the river flowing through it and beauty but the good days are just July 1st thru 4th with the WV 4th celebration held there each year...Lewisburg 15min away on the otherhand is a really nice small town that also has the greenbrier river...Martha Stewart did stay at the correctional facility and many people that work there said she was the nicest person in the facility every single day.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,667 times
Alderson is a lovely small town (1500) along the Greenbier River, (the last free-flowing river in WV) Home prices lower than average, close to Beckley and Roanoke, good roads and close to air and RR. Little or no air or noise pollution, close (15 mi.) to good hospital and abt 100 physicians). Very little class distinction (too small). A native of Va. I live here because I love the town and area

Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,046 times
Default something interesting (to me anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemovetowv View Post
Anyone know anything interesting about Alderson WV other than Martha Stewart and the FPC?
My family used to own a hotel there, Hotel Alderson. It was right on the train tracks. I have tons of awesome stories of the town in 1927.
My Nana actually saw and served Billie Holiday among others. The families of the women in the facility would stay my great grandpa's hotel. I am trying desperately to find pictures of the town then and the hotel. Thus far to no avail.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,950 times
My family The Holcombs, who had many home on the tracks near historic train depot are from Alderson, when the indians were still around I have a great history there and love going back to visit. Many things to do: hiking, camping, caves, mountains, rivers, swimming, canoing, fishing, hunting, 4-wheelin, freindly people, farming (my 1st job was on a farm, loved it!) every time i go there I feel at home because of the layed back, freindly attitude everyone has. ( It rubs off ) And yes the fourth of july celebration is just another reason to go, lots of stuff to do, especially for kids and family bonding, from greased pole climb to wheel barrel race, to father daughter canoe races, great fireworks display and more. You bet Ill be down there this year, see yall in town soon! but we will be stayin on the farm down at the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia