Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM

4,968 posts, read 8,966,966 times

Advertisements

The site I posted didn't appear to miss anything. If you notice, it was from the same site you posted, indeed.com It was for average salaries though. This means there will be some more, some less. If you look at total LPN jobs at the same site though rather than a specific range (as you did), the majority are in the $30,000 range. This is likely where the $35,000 average comes from.

With regards to total beds, Just a quick search of beds shows there are 1,737 beds in the Huntington area including Putnam County and Boyd Co, Ky. All hospitals were CHH, SMMC, VAMC, MMB, RPH, CAMC-TV, KDMC, & OLoBH. For all of the areas you mentioned, the total is 1,577 including WVUH, MGH, FGH, UHC, VAMC, UH(Uniontown) and SRMC (Waynesburg). So there are 160 more beds here and that doesn't even include the Charleston Hospitals that are at 35-40 min away.

American Hospital Directory - Hospital Statistics by State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,055,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The site I posted didn't appear to miss anything. If you notice, it was from the same site you posted, indeed.com It was for average salaries though. This means there will be some more, some less. If you look at total LPN jobs at the same site though rather than a specific range (as you did), the majority are in the $30,000 range. This is likely where the $35,000 average comes from.

With regards to total beds, Just a quick search of beds shows there are 1,737 beds in the Huntington area including Putnam County and Boyd Co, Ky. All hospitals were CHH, SMMC, VAMC, MMB, RPH, CAMC-TV, KDMC, & OLoBH. For all of the areas you mentioned, the total is 1,577 including WVUH, MGH, FGH, UHC, VAMC, UH(Uniontown) and SRMC (Waynesburg). So there are 160 more beds here and that doesn't even include the Charleston Hospitals that are at 35-40 min away.

American Hospital Directory - Hospital Statistics by State
If were're going to count Charleston (35 minutes seems a bit close, doesn't it?), then surely we must count Washington, PA, Cannonsburg, and Pittsburgh. We do have healthcare folks here who work there (I know two of them personally), but I think it is a stretch for either of us to count places 50 miles away as being in the realistic area for an LPN. The immediate areas are relatively comparable in terms of beds, that's my point. There are plenty of opportunities in both places. You healthcare folks have the rest of us over a barrel, so to speak, thus the permanent spike in healthcare costs relative to everyone elses incomes.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 PM

For Charleston, it's ~40 miles from 29th Street in Huntington to Virginia street in Charleston. It usually takes 35-40 min depending on traffic. I've driven that quite a few times in my life. The only reason I threw that in was since Clarksburg exit to Star City Exit is ~35 miles and then you have traffic to contend with afterward. So that is fairly comparable. An hour and a half to get to Pittsburgh though, not so much.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,881,655 times
Quote:
For Charleston, it's ~40 miles from 29th Street in Huntington to Virginia street in Charleston. It usually takes 35-40 min depending on traffic. I've driven that quite a few times in my life. The only reason I threw that in was since Clarksburg exit to Star City Exit is ~35 miles and then you have traffic to contend with afterward. So that is fairly comparable. An hour and a half to get to Pittsburgh though, not so much.
I see you get to make the criteria.The distance from Morgantown to Pittsburgh is not far. Usually and hour 15 for me. I know several people who commute from Morgantown to Pittsburgh or vice versa. Also Washington PA is only 40 minutes from Morgantown and several big towns. So if we are just going to compare city limits Morgantown wins. If we are going to compare metro areas Morgantown wins by a mile.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Tim, I don't want to argue, but I just did a map search and it is 51.2 miles, a 50 minute drive... 54 minutes in the middle of the afternoon. Clarksburg to Morgantown is 34 minutes. Pittsburgh is currently 1 hour, 15 minutes from Morgantown but that will be around an hour when the last leg of Mon Fayette is completed (admittedly that could be awhile). That will be a 70 mile drive, but it will bypass the tunnels which are the biggest bottleneck.

Charleston is further from Huntington than Clarksburg is from Morgantown, but closer to Huntington than Morgantown is to Pittsburgh. They are all in potential commuting distance for the right job, but I really doubt you'd have an LPN driving from Morgantown to Pittsburgh or from Huntington to Charleston. Why would they? There are plenty of closer jobs.

A nurse can just about work wherever he/she wants, so they will likely make their choice based on other factors. My ex wife is a nurse living in Wheeling. She did work for awhile in Pittsburgh because they pay better, but with traffic it was a 50 minute drive and she got tired of it and took a job across the river in Ohio. She could have worked just about anywhere.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Tim, I don't want to argue, but I just did a map search and it is 51.2 miles, a 50 minute drive... 54 minutes in the middle of the afternoon. Clarksburg to Morgantown is 34 minutes. Pittsburgh is currently 1 hour, 15 minutes from Morgantown but that will be around an hour when the last leg of Mon Fayette is completed (admittedly that could be awhile). That will be a 70 mile drive, but it will bypass the tunnels which are the biggest bottleneck.

Charleston is further from Huntington than Clarksburg is from Morgantown, but closer to Huntington than Morgantown is to Pittsburgh. They are all in potential commuting distance for the right job, but I really doubt you'd have an LPN driving from Morgantown to Pittsburgh or from Huntington to Charleston. Why would they? There are plenty of closer jobs.

A nurse can just about work wherever he/she wants, so they will likely make their choice based on other factors. My ex wife is a nurse living in Wheeling. She did work for awhile in Pittsburgh because they pay better, but with traffic it was a 50 minute drive and she got tired of it and took a job across the river in Ohio. She could have worked just about anywhere.
I think Tim said he wasn't counting Charleston hospitals so there is no comparison between the distance from Charleston to Huntington, and between Pittsburgh and Morgantown

Old 07-15-2011, 09:58 PM

For the purposes of this discussion... LPN employment, neither Charleston nor Pittsburgh are really germaine to the situation. She could basically work wherever she wanted, so why would she drive an hour each way when she could be at work in a half hour or less?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I see you get to make the criteria.The distance from Morgantown to Pittsburgh is not far. Usually and hour 15 for me. I know several people who commute from Morgantown to Pittsburgh or vice versa. Also Washington PA is only 40 minutes from Morgantown and several big towns. So if we are just going to compare city limits Morgantown wins. If we are going to compare metro areas Morgantown wins by a mile.
I didn't set the criteria at all, I was just trying to follow what CT had laid out in his post. CT, I didn't even count Charleston, I only said that the figures given didn't include Charleston which was a quick drive down the interstate. Thus, your time figures don't matter though and your focus on them is only a deference to the real issue of the general areas being discussed. As a matter of point though, since when has it ever taken you 50 min to go 51 miles on a 70 mph interstate? And per Mapquest, Morgantown to Clarksburg was 41 min.

Cry-havoc, you keep making things easy for me spouting off stuff without checking your facts. If you just want to compare city limits for the OP rather than once again making baseless claims, here you go:

Huntington- 3 Medical Hospitals with 887 beds between the three.

Cabell Huntington - 367

St. Mary's - 440

Huntington VAMC - 80

Cabell County

Huntington VA Medical Center - Locations

Including psych/other hospital facilities- Bed total is 1217

Morgantown- 2 Medical Hospitals with 536 beds between the two.

Ruby - 302

Mon General - 234

Including psych/other hospital facilities - Bed total is 743

Monongalia County

If you note, I even used the info given by the WVU Center on Aging for bed numbers. And I already showed that the Huntington area has a greater number of beds as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Quote:
I didn't set the criteria at all, I was just trying to follow what CT had laid out in his post. CT, I didn't even count Charleston, I only said that the figures given didn't include Charleston which was a quick drive down the interstate. Thus, your time figures don't matter though and your focus on them is only a deference to the real issue of the general areas being discussed. As a matter of point though, since when has it ever taken you 50 min to go 51 miles on a 70 mph interstate? And per Mapquest, Morgantown to Clarksburg was 41 min.

Cry-havoc, you keep making things easy for me spouting off stuff without checking your facts. If you just want to compare city limits for the OP rather than once again making baseless claims, here you go:

Huntington- 3 Medical Hospitals with 887 beds between the three.

Cabell Huntington - 367

St. Mary's - 440

Huntington VAMC - 80

Cabell County

Huntington VA Medical Center - Locations

Including psych/other hospital facilities- Bed total is 1217

Morgantown- 2 Medical Hospitals with 536 beds between the two.

Ruby - 302

Mon General - 234

Including psych/other hospital facilities - Bed total is 743

Monongalia County

If you note, I even used the info given by the WVU Center on Aging for bed numbers. And I already showed that the Huntington area has a greater number of beds as well.
Tim, your facts ring through the ears of the clueless!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,881,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Tim, your facts ring through the ears of the clueless!!!
When you compare the Charleston-Huntington area to the Morgantown-Fairmont-Clarksburg-Washington PA-Pittsburgh area it loses hands down. Here is another FACT: Morgantown has a higher quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia