Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,287 times

Advertisements

And I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about possible areas to look!! We are country people and would love someplace quiet and small-town where things are more family oriented. My husband works in the restaurant business as a multi-unit manager and I am in retail, but would be open to anything else, really. We have 2 elementary-aged kids and love the mountains, state park areas, and wildlife. Internet access is a must, however. We recently visited Babcock state park and the Rainelle and Rupert areas seem like the kind of thing we are looking for. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,885,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinCountry View Post
And I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about possible areas to look!! We are country people and would love someplace quiet and small-town where things are more family oriented. My husband works in the restaurant business as a multi-unit manager and I am in retail, but would be open to anything else, really. We have 2 elementary-aged kids and love the mountains, state park areas, and wildlife. Internet access is a must, however. We recently visited Babcock state park and the Rainelle and Rupert areas seem like the kind of thing we are looking for. Any suggestions?
Morgantown. It is a nice small city, with a small town atmosphere. The downtown is a college town, but once you get outside of that area it is very family oriented. It also has the best public school system in WV. It is very close to Pittsburgh so you can get all the advantages of a big city while living in a small quiet area. Very big restaurant scene too.

Dont go south of Clarksburg.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Morgantown may work, depending on where you live. If you're looking for quiet, stay out of places like Sunnyside and much of South Park (though the historic section is actually really nice - there's a very obvious line where the permanent residents (nicely maintained houses) end and the college students (out of control yards, broken beer bottles strewn everywhere) begin.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,885,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Morgantown may work, depending on where you live. If you're looking for quiet, stay out of places like Sunnyside and much of South Park (though the historic section is actually really nice - there's a very obvious line where the permanent residents (nicely maintained houses) end and the college students (out of control yards, broken beer bottles strewn everywhere) begin.
Parts of South Park are very nice. You get old Victorian houses, brick streets, and professional neighbors. If you talked to a realtor and wanted to live in South Park there is no way they would take you to a student area.

Most of Morgantown is not students. They tend to live in a few areas. Cheat Lake is probably the best area of Morgantown, but it is expensive. It is the Beverly Hills of WV.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:43 PM

6,098 posts, read 9,135,629 times
Lewisburg, WV is a beautiful historic town that has lots of great dining and shopping! It is close to The Greenbrier, Snowshoe Ski Resort, Watoga State Park, Cranberry Glades, Cass, WV, Greenbank, and so much more! The town is home to the WV state fair, and some of the best state history and culture!

Another great town is Elkins. It is close to Canaan Valley, Seneca Rocks, The South Branch of the Potomac, and Blackwater Falls State Park! It has a great small college in Dvis & Elkins.

Both towns are small enough to still be quiet and peaceful, but both are also leading towns in their regions so they have everything you need like hospitals, retail, employement oppertunities, and the ever most important Walmart

Old 07-18-2011, 01:00 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,060,416 times
Quote:
Morgantown would offer you job opportunities in the fields both of you are working, and offers absolutely wonderful outdoor venues literally right out the back door. It also has excellent schools (where many of the students are children of college professors) and one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Definitely check it out...

City of Morgantown, WV official website

Coopers Rock State Forest

http://www.cheatlaketoday.com/

http://www.downtownmorgantown.com/

Old 07-18-2011, 06:04 AM

4,968 posts, read 8,971,489 times
The Huntington area would be good for you to look into as well. Huntington was named as the best place in West Virginia for families last year. Having a young family of my own, I agree that this area does offer a lot for families with the great museums, parks and new schools.

Being the second largest city in the state, there would be a lot of opportunities for you and your husband but there are several small towns in the area that would provide you with the living that you want.

We are home to the largest mall in the state here and have a growing retail market in downtown Huntington as well. When added with all of the wonderful restaurants that we have here, you and your husband would have lots of opportunities.

We are also a short drive to not only all of the wonderful parks in WV, but also the close by National Forests in Kentucky and Ohio as well.

If you would like any more info on the Huntington area, feel free to ask.

Tim

Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 9,287 times
Thanks for the insight, everyone! I do have a friend in Huntington, and my husband's family is from Cincy, so that is an option for us, and the company I work for currently has a store in Morgantown, so that could be a possibility for us. I'm starting my research now as we are planning to head back out to WV sometime in the fall to look at a few possible areas. I'm so excited!! lol

Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM

6,098 posts, read 9,135,629 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight, everyone! I do have a friend in Huntington, and my husband's family is from Cincy, so that is an option for us, and the company I work for currently has a store in Morgantown, so that could be a possibility for us. I'm starting my research now as we are planning to head back out to WV sometime in the fall to look at a few possible areas. I'm so excited!! lol
Fall is a great time in WV with the collors!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 PM

4,968 posts, read 8,971,489 times
If you need any info about Huntington, just let me know. Here are a few links that I didn't have time to put in my earlier post. One is where Huntington was named by Business Week as the best place in WV to raise kids 2010. The other links are for local parks, shopping, etc to give you an idea of what we offer here.

Best Places to Raise Your Kids: 2010: Best Place to Raise Your Kids: West Virginia - BusinessWeek

Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District

PATH - The Paul Ambrose Trail for Health

Huntington, WV Online

Cabell Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau highlighting Huntington, Barboursvil

The Greater Huntington Community Web Portal

Pullman Square - Shop, Dine, Enjoy.

http://www.huntington-mall.com/store/index.ch2

Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV

Huntington Quarterly | Articles | Issue 72 | 50 Things We Love

If your husband is from Cincy and is a Reds fan, this is definately Reds and Bengals Country. This past weekend was Thunderfest at Great American Ballpark to celebrate Marshall University and this next Sunday is Huntington Community Day there. It's just under 3 hours to get there from here.

Group Special Dates - Huntington Community Day | reds.com: Tickets

‪Downtown Huntington, WV (Featuring K-Kutta, Tyson Compton, and Kim Baker)‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia