Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,015 times

Advertisements

I'm quite proud of my work here. The Mayor of Wheeling proposes to demolish a large section of the East Wheeling National Historic District. I have taken care to photograph every historic house (many pre-Civil War) in the area proposed for demolition. I have updated my blog with the pictures -- please check them out.

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Rest in Peace: Large Section of East Wheeling Historic District Soon to be Demolished
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,881,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I'm quite proud of my work here. The Mayor of Wheeling proposes to demolish a large section of the East Wheeling National Historic District. I have taken care to photograph every historic house (many pre-Civil War) in the area proposed for demolition. I have updated my blog with the pictures -- please check them out.

Discovering Historic Pittsburgh: Rest in Peace: Large Section of East Wheeling Historic District Soon to be Demolished
Such a tragedy. Once history is destroyed it can never be brought back. In the future people will regret such sort-sightedness. if only Charleston would care about the history of WV and give a little bit of money to preserve it, instead of giving pork barrel projects in the south.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:19 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Such a tragedy. Once history is destroyed it can never be brought back. In the future people will regret such sort-sightedness. if only Charleston would care about the history of WV and give a little bit of money to preserve it, instead of giving pork barrel projects in the south.
We don't care about history? and the city of Wheeling is to blame for the soon destruction of these buildings, not the state! You should read into things before posting stupid comments!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Wow, nice work.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,326,290 times
I would venture to guess that most of those buildings are structurally deficient or just about falling down inside or rotted. Look at Baltimore, you see entire block after block of stuff like that. The insides are rotted, dead, full of crackheads or meth labs.

I dont know the situation here, but these buildings most likely will have fallen down and killed someone eventually.

I'm sure given the opportunity, someone could have stepped up and bought them, I am guessing it didnt happen...

Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
We don't care about history? and the city of Wheeling is to blame for the soon destruction of these buildings, not the state! You should read into things before posting stupid comments!
If those buildings were 200 miles south Charleston would have declared them historical monuments and pumped them so full of cash they would be preserved for at least 1000 years. Unfortunately for Wheeling it is in Northern WV, which is a no-go area when it comes to funding. Wheeling cant afford to keep those structures because all the funding goes to the southern half of the state.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,015 times
Are Charleston and the southern WV cities well preserved, Cry_havoc?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Are Charleston and the southern WV cities well preserved, Cry_havoc?
If they want to be they are. Charleston throws money around that area like a drunken sailor. Lewisburg is a good example. Of course most of the southern cities tend to use the money from the North for welfare, infrastucturem corporate handouts, bribes, or the southern/charleston politicos just steal it.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
The truth is that Charleston and Southern WV aren't any more funded than any other part of WV. if you think that Southern WV is well funded, then you should probably pay it a visit sometime. The roads and schools are so bad down there, and the state is so slim on money that they hardly have enough for the priorities.

Its not the governments responsibility to declare every single building over a hundred years old a historic landmark, and then spend money to restore it. If you think that, then you might as well forget all about non-profit and private business. Charleston businesses worked hard to get the money to restore their buildings, because it wasn't a hand out from the state. The people of the East End own there houses, and responsible for the preservation of them.

I do not want to see these structures torn down, but again its not on the state or even the city to do that! I believe in capitalism and that everyone should be responsible for his or her own. Now if Wheeling has the right to tear down these structure that is up for debate, but its not their responsibility to restore them.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The truth is that Charleston and Southern WV aren't any more funded than any other part of WV. if you think that Southern WV is well funded, then you should probably pay it a visit sometime. The roads and schools are so bad down there, and the state is so slim on money that they hardly have enough for the priorities.

Its not the governments responsibility to declare every single building over a hundred years old a historic landmark, and then spend money to restore it. If you think that, then you might as well forget all about non-profit and private business. Charleston businesses worked hard to get the money to restore their buildings, because it wasn't a hand out from the state. The people of the East End own there houses, and responsible for the preservation of them.

I do not want to see these structures torn down, but again its not on the state or even the city to do that! I believe in capitalism and that everyone should be responsible for his or her own. Now if Wheeling has the right to tear down these structure that is up for debate, but its not their responsibility to restore them.
The southern part of the state has much nicer roads than Morgantown will ever have. Of course they are empty since nobody lives there. WV has more than enough money just not for the North. If Wheeling was in Southern WV their buildings would get preserved.

BTW, if you believe in capitalism you are in the wrong city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia