Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 PM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times

Advertisements

Two new four story buildings at Canaan will feature "hotel" concept instead of "motel" concept.

Renovation under way at Canaan Valley* - State News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:07 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
What Canaan needs is a good highway that goes to the edge of it. The route there is atrocious for the most beautiful park in WV. Guess it is not south enough for Charleston to notice.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Two new four story buildings at Canaan will feature "hotel" concept instead of "motel" concept.

Renovation under way at Canaan Valley* - State News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
This is great news... I never understood why the lodge was built that way... Canaan needs to do clusters of "town style" resorts. Similar to Snowshoe but at smaller levels and clusters... Like the ski area should be that way, the lodge area, etc.

The state should seriously be pumping money into Canaan. With Corridor H being pushed to be finished in 15 years, WV could totally capitalize on the DC, Baltimore, and Philly markets.

and for the other post..................... Corridor H is going through between Davis and Thomas, connecting with I-66 / I-81 at Strasburg, VA once completed. Tentatively...

Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
This is great news... I never understood why the lodge was built that way... Canaan needs to do clusters of "town style" resorts. Similar to Snowshoe but at smaller levels and clusters... Like the ski area should be that way, the lodge area, etc.

The state should seriously be pumping money into Canaan. With Corridor H being pushed to be finished in 15 years, WV could totally capitalize on the DC, Baltimore, and Philly markets.

and for the other post..................... Corridor H is going through between Davis and Thomas, connecting with I-66 / I-81 at Strasburg, VA once completed. Tentatively...
Once completed...

Nobody seems interesting in building it. WV isnt the only guilty party. Our eastern neighbor isnt too enthusiastic about it.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Once completed...

Nobody seems interesting in building it. WV isnt the only guilty party. Our eastern neighbor isnt too enthusiastic about it.
It is more of a federal problem then a state one. The funding for it was cut off about 3 years ago by the Obama Administration.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It is more of a federal problem then a state one. The funding for it was cut off about 3 years ago by the Obama Administration.
Not entirely true... He reduced funding for it. He didn't cut it off, and it wasn't just Corridor H funding he reduced, he reduced a lot of other projects funding as well.

But there is more then enough funds left over from ARC funding to complete the road it just belongs to other states.. so the current idea is to borrow that money from the other states. The sooner the road is finished, the cheaper it will be, and the faster the benefits of a divided highway connecting I-79 at Weston to I-81, and I-66 into DC will be felt for north central and eastern WV.

Virginia would only have to build like 3 miles of highway... Once WV finishes their part and traffic picks up on the finished section, and the Virginia portion becomes a parking lot because two lanes cannot handle the capacity of four lanes, then they will be forced by the federal govt. to upgrade... of course the federal govt. will have to pay for most of it...

Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Not entirely true... He reduced funding for it. He didn't cut it off, and it wasn't just Corridor H funding he reduced, he reduced a lot of other projects funding as well.

But there is more then enough funds left over from ARC funding to complete the road it just belongs to other states.. so the current idea is to borrow that money from the other states. The sooner the road is finished, the cheaper it will be, and the faster the benefits of a divided highway connecting I-79 at Weston to I-81, and I-66 into DC will be felt for north central and eastern WV.

Virginia would only have to build like 3 miles of highway... Once WV finishes their part and traffic picks up on the finished section, and the Virginia portion becomes a parking lot because two lanes cannot handle the capacity of four lanes, then they will be forced by the federal govt. to upgrade... of course the federal govt. will have to pay for most of it...
It is a shame how Charleston wont fund any infrastructure projects 60 miles north of it.

Canaan is a national treasure, and could really bring in a lot of tourist from Virginia. They need to be smart about the growth though if this road were to open up. I dont want to see Canaan being destroyed in the name of development.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,857 times
I was just there coming from the DC area..Very nice place .
It was a pain driving there and you cant rely on your GPS since it is remote and had to take many backroads. On the way back my GPS took me thru Maryland instead of 66!?
That kind of frustration will not increase travel there unless there is better highway access.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM

43 posts, read 114,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I was just there coming from the DC area..Very nice place .
It was a pain driving there and you cant rely on your GPS since it is remote and had to take many backroads. On the way back my GPS took me thru Maryland instead of 66!?
That kind of frustration will not increase travel there unless there is better highway access.
People just depend too much on GPS these days! The route is relatively easy actually! Easier than to Snowshoe! Right now you can take 55 to Forman and then south on Patterson creek rd to 42 to Route 28/55 West, then turn right on 33 at Seneca rock and then north on 32! You can easily do this in a bit over 3 hours. Once corridor H is completed, it will be less than 3 hours! Hopefully, by then we will still have snow in winter...

Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
It's always a good idea to check out a prospective route on a real map (or something like Google maps), so you have an idea when your GPS is pulling your leg. Also, check your GPS preferences; you might have accidentally chosen "Avoid major highways" or something similar.

Not everyone feels that having a 4-lane expressway with one end in NoVA and the other in the West Virginia mountains is entirely a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia