Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM

6,101 posts, read 9,142,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Without a doubt Charleston has a few nice buildings and some cool neighborhoods.

However, I wouldnt call it outstanding. For a city its size it isnt bad. It doesnt really hold very well agains real cities though.

I also disagree that Charleston has 5 downtowns.
Charleston has one downtown, it has 5 other neighborhoods that could be downtowns in towns maybe the size of Weston or Lewisburg. I think they are also downtowns for there communities, as they provide shopping restaurants and business for each area.

As for the buildings being outstanding, they aren't world class. But there are hundreds of them that are very attractive, and they all stand out as individual works of art.

And like I said, For a city our size we have it made. I'm not trying to compare with Pittsburgh, DC, or New York for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,888,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Charleston has one downtown, it has 5 other neighborhoods that could be downtowns in towns maybe the size of Weston or Lewisburg. I think they are also downtowns for there communities, as they provide shopping restaurants and business for each area.

As for the buildings being outstanding, they aren't world class. But there are hundreds of them that are very attractive, and they all stand out as individual works of art.

And like I said, For a city our size we have it made. I'm not trying to compare with Pittsburgh, DC, or New York for that matter.
It doesnt have 5 neighborhoods that could be downtown. It has 1 downtown. The Capitol drive neighborhood is nice, and the downtown area, and the area immediately surrounding it are also nice. Unfortunately, the area is dead during non-working hours. The rest of Charleston is not so nice. You cant label a neighborhood with stores as a downtown.

I dont know about hundreds of buildings. Charleston does have some old buildings, but most of them arent nice. The ones kept up in good shape can be, but a lot have a run down look to them. Charleston has lots of block and square buildings. Ive actually lived in cities with outstanding architecture and Charleston is not one of them. It certainly is nicer than Huntington or Wheeling. Outside of the metro Morgantown area Charleston is probably one of the best cities in WV to live in.

It is the capitol so that brings some perks. Every state capital has a few really nice neighborhoods because lobbyist build nice buildings close by. You can see this in Charleston, but go a few more blocks and it is a generic WV city.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
It doesnt have 5 neighborhoods that could be downtown. It has 1 downtown. The Capitol drive neighborhood is nice, and the downtown area, and the area immediately surrounding it are also nice. Unfortunately, the area is dead during non-working hours. The rest of Charleston is not so nice. You cant label a neighborhood with stores as a downtown.

I dont know about hundreds of buildings. Charleston does have some old buildings, but most of them arent nice. The ones kept up in good shape can be, but a lot have a run down look to them. Charleston has lots of block and square buildings. Ive actually lived in cities with outstanding architecture and Charleston is not one of them. It certainly is nicer than Huntington or Wheeling. Outside of the metro Morgantown area Charleston is probably one of the best cities in WV to live in.

It is the capitol so that brings some perks. Every state capital has a few really nice neighborhoods because lobbyist build nice buildings close by. You can see this in Charleston, but go a few more blocks and it is a generic WV city.
You are not listening to what I'm saying. There are 5 communities in Charleston that have business districts that are kind of like downtowns. They are not, but act like little downtowns to each of the communities. I'm not saying the city as a whole has 5 downtowns, but that there are 5 communities in Charleston that have there own downtown.

Most of Charleston's buildings have been remodeled, and are clean cut and modern. All of downtown's historic village distict is filled with hundreds of beautiful brick structures. And all of Charleston's East End Historic District is filled with breath taking houses and churches. Charleston has been around for over 200 years, so it's only natural to have older structures. Nothing in either one of these areas is run down or ugly.

Having been interested in going to school for architecture, I think I know what good architecture is. I've not only practiced it on a small scale, I've studied it for the past three years. Morgantown doesn't have the history that Charleston has, so I wouldn't expect you to know what impressive early 19th century buildings look like. I guess when you spend your days looking at ugly tan apartment buildings, you forget what real structural art looks like.

And what does lobbyist have to do with architecture in private owned structures?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
You are not listening to what I'm saying. There are 5 communities in Charleston that have business districts that are kind of like downtowns. They are not, but act like little downtowns to each of the communities. I'm not saying the city as a whole has 5 downtowns, but that there are 5 communities in Charleston that have there own downtown.

Most of Charleston's buildings have been remodeled, and are clean cut and modern. All of downtown's historic village distict is filled with hundreds of beautiful brick structures. And all of Charleston's East End Historic District is filled with breath taking houses and churches. Charleston has been around for over 200 years, so it's only natural to have older structures. Nothing in either one of these areas is run down or ugly.

Having been interested in going to school for architecture, I think I know what good architecture is. I've not only practiced it on a small scale, I've studied it for the past three years. Morgantown doesn't have the history that Charleston has, so I wouldn't expect you to know what impressive early 19th century buildings look like. I guess when you spend your days looking at ugly tan apartment buildings, you forget what real structural art looks like.

And what does lobbyist have to do with architecture in private owned structures?
Of course there are businesses outside of downtown. That is normal. Morgantown has communities with areas that serve them besides downtown too. So has every city I've been in.

Architecture is something I love too. I've lived in austin, boston, washington dc, porto alegre brasil, and madrid spain. Charleston doesn't have the history, culture, or architecture that those places have, so I wouldn't expect you to know these things. I guess when you spend your days looking at square brick buildings you forget what real structural art looks like.

Seriously chriss don't play this card. Charleston has nothing.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Of course there are businesses outside of downtown. That is normal. Morgantown has communities with areas that serve them besides downtown too. So has every city I've been in.

Architecture is something I love too. I've lived in austin, boston, washington dc, porto alegre brasil, and madrid spain. Charleston doesn't have the history, culture, or architecture that those places have, so I wouldn't expect you to know these things. I guess when you spend your days looking at square brick buildings you forget what real structural art looks like.

Seriously chriss don't play this card. Charleston has nothing.
I'm not comparing Charleston with those cities. I've said a thousand times that for a city Charleston's size, it has a very impressive downtown and architecture. We are talking about WV, and Charleston is the best. Are you sure you love arcitecture? I bet I love it more, and know more about it. As I said, i almost went to school for it.

I'm not saying Charleston is Dubai, but I am saying that our buildings are beautiful and dynamic.

And as for the "5 downtows"

I'm going to dumb this down for you. There are 5 areas in Charleston that have the same kind of atmosphere and vibe that a downtown would. These areas are downtowns to their communities. And they all have their own unique charcteristics. The whole city is filled with business, but these areas have storefront shopping and traditional style urban layout.

Morgantown has one street (High St.) while Charleston has a full downtown, plus 5 other business districts that are similar to High St.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM

389 posts, read 798,038 times
Morgantown has another "downtown" area that's been up and coming in the Wharf District. What was once a bunch of run-down, abandoned warehouses is now home to the best dining in Morgantown, among a few other things. With its location right next to the Rail Trail and the Waterfront Place hotel, it could be just as hoppin' as High Street someday soon if it continues in the right direction.

As for architecture, I personally thought Charleston had some really nice architecture from what I saw. Morgantown isn't exactly a leader on that front, but you can't forget that WVU is here. Downtown campus is absolutely beautiful. If you don't think buildings like Woodburn, Stewart, Oglebay, etc. are examples of impressive architecture, I don't know what to tell ya. As a whole, I'd say Wheeling has the most impressive architecture in the state by far. Martinsburg isn't too bad either.

On a personal note, I've always considered Cumberland, Maryland (my hometown area) to be far superior to any town in its size bracket in terms of architecture. Once, I was explaining to someone where I lived and asked them if they knew where Cumberland was. They said, "Oh, you mean the place with all the castles." "Ummm... churches? the courthouse?"

Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not comparing Charleston with those cities. I've said a thousand times that for a city Charleston's size, it has a very impressive downtown and architecture. We are talking about WV, and Charleston is the best. Are you sure you love arcitecture? I bet I love it more, and know more about it. As I said, i almost went to school for it.

I'm not saying Charleston is Dubai, but I am saying that our buildings are beautiful and dynamic.

And as for the "5 downtows"

I'm going to dumb this down for you. There are 5 areas in Charleston that have the same kind of atmosphere and vibe that a downtown would. These areas are downtowns to their communities. And they all have their own unique charcteristics. The whole city is filled with business, but these areas have storefront shopping and traditional style urban layout.

Morgantown has one street (High St.) while Charleston has a full downtown, plus 5 other business districts that are similar to High St.
Chris Charleston is NOT impressive.

Your whole argument is flawed. You could argue that Haiti is a great country because it is better than Somali. You could argue that being shot in the head by a 9mm is good thing because it wasnt a .44 mag. You could argue that Charleston is a very impressive city because it is better than Nitro or Huntington.

Chris, Charleston is not an impressive city. If you think it is you need to travel more. I understand what you are saying, but it just isnt true. If you really believe it than you are ignorant.

Chris I dont think you understand what a downtown is. Charleston has one downtown, and it is ugly and there is nothing to do. It is dead during non-working hours. The rest of the city is boring and depressing. So Charleston has 5 areas where people work at and then leave during the night? Wow, Chris that is impressive. So there are some stores concentrated in a few areas. Guess what Morgantown has that too. Fairmont has that too. I can think of several cities in WV that have that. Charleston is so urban with its less than 2k people per square mile.

Furthermore why is everything a competition for you? Not every subject on this forum needs to be Morgantown VS Charleston. Morgantown's downtown is much more than High street. It is a whole area, and right next to it is the wharf district, South Park, and Sunnyside. All those areas have something Charleston doesnt and it is called activity. People actually live in the urban areas of Morgantown. Things actually happen here. Im not such a shill that I would go call Morgantown, "the Paris of WV," like you do with Charleston, but at the end of the day it is a much more hip and urban city than Charleston.

Why cant you just enjoy Charleston for what it is? I know people who prefer Charleston to Morgantown. It is for the opposite reasons you mentioned. They like the slow pace of life and the non-urban atmosphere. It is like living in a town, but with a lot more things to do. It reminds them of an older America, when life was simple. They love the unique characteristics of Charleston without making into something it is not.

Chris I highly recommend you stop making everything a competition. I dont dislike Charleston because Morgantown is better. I dislike Charleston because it is a boring ugly city. I know that sounds bad but it is not. I can think of a lot of places much worse than Charleston. I merely dislike it; I dont hate it. I cant think of anything that is terrible about Charleston, Huntington I can, but at the same time I cant think of many good things about it. A few for sure, but not many.

That doesnt mean Morgantown is better. I just prefer it more. I know people both international and from all across that have been to both. I would say the vast majority would choose Morgantown over Charleston. Not because Morgantown is the best place in the US. At the same time I know a few people who prefer Charleston. They are more of the anti-city type.

Chris seriously I dont mind having a discussion with you but you are not convincing anyone that Charleston is some great metropolis.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Morgantown has another "downtown" area that's been up and coming in the Wharf District. What was once a bunch of run-down, abandoned warehouses is now home to the best dining in Morgantown, among a few other things. With its location right next to the Rail Trail and the Waterfront Place hotel, it could be just as hoppin' as High Street someday soon if it continues in the right direction.

As for architecture, I personally thought Charleston had some really nice architecture from what I saw. Morgantown isn't exactly a leader on that front, but you can't forget that WVU is here. Downtown campus is absolutely beautiful. If you don't think buildings like Woodburn, Stewart, Oglebay, etc. are examples of impressive architecture, I don't know what to tell ya. As a whole, I'd say Wheeling has the most impressive architecture in the state by far. Martinsburg isn't too bad either.

On a personal note, I've always considered Cumberland, Maryland (my hometown area) to be far superior to any town in its size bracket in terms of architecture. Once, I was explaining to someone where I lived and asked them if they knew where Cumberland was. They said, "Oh, you mean the place with all the castles." "Ummm... churches? the courthouse?"
Cumberland is nice, much more impressive than Charleston, at least architecture wise. Ive heard the city is not a great place to live though since the loss of the manufacturing jobs. Ive only been there twice and I enjoy driving through it.

As, for Chris. He is convinced that Charleston is one of the great cities of the US because as he puts it, "its good for WV." Charleston is not a bad city.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 AM

389 posts, read 798,038 times
I'm glad you see Cumberland in a positive light and I don't think anyone could argue with its architecture. It was once an industrial powerhouse and the loss of industry hit Western Maryland very hard. I wouldn't discount it as a good place to live though. The state thinks the solution to all our problems is tourism. While locals know better than to think that, our officials have been surprisingly forward thinking in that they largely insist upon the importance of smart growth. Downtown has grown pretty impressively and is now home to nice restaurants, bars, a theater, loft-style apartments, knick knack shops, and our thriving arts community. Prior to the recession, we were building momentum as a second home destination for people from downstate. I'm convinced that some of the best people I'll ever meet reside in Allegany and Garrett County, Maryland, and that place means the world to me. With that being said, it's a crying shame that there aren't better job opportunities around.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Cumberland is nice, much more impressive than Charleston, at least architecture wise. Ive heard the city is not a great place to live though since the loss of the manufacturing jobs. Ive only been there twice and I enjoy driving through it.

As, for Chris. He is convinced that Charleston is one of the great cities of the US because as he puts it, "its good for WV." Charleston is not a bad city.
Now you are putting words in my mouth. In comparison to other towns Charleston's size, it's hard to beat our architecture and cultural vibe. Some of our buildings are very impressive and carry their own weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia