Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:49 AM

552 posts, read 738,879 times

Advertisements

Sorry to repost but I would like to share other points about wv. I have made it a point in my life to visit every county in wv. The only counties I haven't visited are northwestern wv, moundsville for example and the famous welch area which I want to see. I think WV is one of the most diverse states. Morgantown is a great college town with a lot of student culture and diversity. Huntington is a beautiful city and has some great parks and a wonderful institution, even though I'm partial to wvu only by choice and geographical reasons. Charleston does have the biggest downtown in wv and has all the ammenities of a small city. Beckley has a more southern feel country flavor. Wheeling and weirton have a northern pittsbugh suburban flavor. Central wv is where you will find the "hillbillies" and I think the best of what wv is as a culture. I don't mean clarksburg I mean more like Preston, mineral, gilmer the surrounding areas. The eastern panhandle has more of a Baltimore dc feeling to it. The potomac highlands Hampshire and grant counties are the most beatiful. Also don't leave parkersburg out, never been there but only hear good things. That's just my opinion I would suggest you take a tour of these areas, you won't want to leave that is guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM

389 posts, read 797,255 times
Mineral County is not in Central WV. It's in the Potomac Highlands of the Eastern Panhandle. While I agree that there are hillbillies there, it's one of the few places in WV that's part of a metro area, so it's not exactly the direction I would point someone in if they were looking for West Virginia's most secluded.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM

38 posts, read 73,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
I recommend you try (rent) before you you buy. Your coming from from L.I. and proximity to NYC, you may find WV quite a cultural shock. It is not for everyone.

Just curious, but where do own land in Illinois? If you are farming corn and beans (what else in IL?) and bought more than 5-10 years ago, you must be doing mighty fine about now.

Look before you leap.
I understand about culture shock for sure. Thanks.

We own a small house in town, in Fisher, Illinois. (GO BUNNIES ) It is rented by a family of 4. No large amount of farmland there, just a few mature fruit trees in the backyard where some goats graze.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn, attended college at St. John's University in Queens. I traveled by subway and bus to get there and back. Never drove until I moved to Long Island. Never had to. During my early employment years, I spent every... single... day... in Manhattan. I now work only two and a half miles from home (in Central Islip, which has good points - and bad - as a town).

We do love the quiet... the country... but we'd also love the option to drive an hour or less and find a City which would offer some of the items previously mentioned.

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I apologize for our rude guests as they seem to think their locale is somehow superior. I would not suggest southwestern wv, it is economically depressed and has been for a very long time. . . . (SNIPPED FOR BREVITY). . . . Then I lived in Romney for 15 years, and have just moved to Berkeley county about 6 months ago for more job opportunities. Found a successful career in Hagerstown, MD making about twice what I was making before. I really miss romney though.
Thanks for both of your very detailed responses! Much appreciated.

Last edited by WychyWoman; 10-24-2011 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: saw that a secondary post had been sent...

Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
. . . it's one of the few places in WV that's part of a metro area, so it's not exactly the direction I would point someone in if they were looking for West Virginia's most secluded.
Thank you. Point well made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia