Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times

Advertisements

From the Wetzel Chronicle:

Price Gregory International will soon begin extensive construction of natural gas pipelines, from Proctor on the Ohio River to Jacksonburg in central Wetzel County. The lines are being built for Caiman Energy.
Full Story

Also on the natural gas front, Markwest Liberty Midsream and Resources has requested that Pine Grove city council approve widening of the intersection of State Route 20 and County Road 15/17. The widening is needed to accommodate large rigs destined for the processing plant in Mobley.
Full Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I believe Wetzel, Marshall, and Monongalia counties are going to reap a huge benefit from Marcellus development as soon as they build a cracker facility on the Ohio River. I also think Huntington will benefit in a major way if they approve the barge facility there, but there is some local opposition to that. I am often perplexed by the fact that there always seems to be a group of folks anywhere that will stand in the way of development. Some people are just obstructionist by nature. We have a few in Morgantown too.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:01 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I believe Wetzel, Marshall, and Monongalia counties are going to reap a huge benefit from Marcellus development as soon as they build a cracker facility on the Ohio River. I also think Huntington will benefit in a major way if they approve the barge facility there, but there is some local opposition to that. I am often perplexed by the fact that there always seems to be a group of folks anywhere that will stand in the way of development. Some people are just obstructionist by nature. We have a few in Morgantown too.
I don't think it's just about standing in the way of development. A lot of people see all this natural gas activity as the same game we've been playing. I think it was you that mentioned in one thread that we have over 100 years of natural gas here and that we'd be long dead before we saw the end of any benefits. I think that's rather funny because I'd be willing to bet that, about 150 years ago or so, people were saying the same things about coal. Now look at where we are. The coal in our region is practically gone. The only way we can get to the coal that's still left over is to strip down the entire mountain. The associated jobs are gone. Our towns are hollow shells of what they once were. West Virginia is among the poorest states in the nation.... the list goes on. Natural gas may be a huge boon to the economy of West Virginia and we may only see the benefits of it in our lifetime, but our grandchildren or great-grandchildren will have to bear the burden of the fall of this industry, just as we are with coal.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Its not a situation of citizens standing in the way of development, its a situation of the citizens being informed that the barge facility brings no positive impact to Huntington.

The barge facility is not bringing any significant jobs with it and will just be a parking lot for the barges on the Ohio River. What it is bringing is dirt and damage to the river and to Huntington.

The enviromental impact caused by the barges and their cleaning will damage the floodwall and the sewer/storm drain system in Huntington. By the way, the sewer/storm drain system in Huntington is only about 70 years out of date and doesn't need anymore burden.

This is a situation of not building something just for the sake or building it or for development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia