Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Judgement will be found against you. The court will not enforce this judgement on their own. The landlord will have to attach your wages if you don't pay them on your own. There is a set amount they can take. I can't recall what it is off the top of my head.

This isn't your best option, I'm just noting. Now, I would agree to see if there is legal aid you can avail yourself to. She can "ask" for any amount of late fee's but it seems to me that they must be in the lease OR there are regulations on this. Which is why you need to check with legal aid.

She can sue you for $5,000 in late fee's and if you don't show up that is what will be gave to her in default. It's why you need to make sure you show up. The late fee's seem far to excessive for the time you state you have been out of the apt.

It's also far too complicated becuase of what you say about the dual lease. A lawyer may see your out with the drug clauses and her not enforcing them. If you had moved out she can only sue for the amount of time she is actually out of income. That is, if you owe 4 months and she rents it out for the last three, you are only on the hook for the one. But your dual lease really confuses things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,292 times
These landlords will not like me saying this. for get it!!!! show up give your accounts as o what happen that way you have it documented and on file..

At the very most you could win I have seen stranger things happen.

at the very least you could loose (so what so you get a judgement screw them.. most good places who rent will base your security deposit

off of criminal record/credit history/ and rental history

but they will still rent to you..I would show up give my story with witnesses. and let the ball fall where it may...

Also do a free consult with a lawyer you will be amazed what they can get you out of..

Old 12-18-2011, 06:32 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
I had two hippie losers renting from me last year.

I told them 'No Drugs....they lied and began stinking up the premises as soon as I was out the door....
the girl said it was inscense...it was...to cover up the pot.

A friend said..."IT"S POT...I inspected and phoned a friend while I was downstairs.

I said..."Hey Bob...when you get off duty, bring your pot sniffing dog over to my rental...and bring a big cruiser...If it's pot...I'll swear out a warrant!"

You know, those hippies moved out while I was having that conversation with my friend...
btw...Bob's a college professor, not a cop...I never even heard them go down the stairs.

Drugs are the way of life in our colleges...one in 25 cannot get a job because of failure of the drug tests.

You can do the Degree but you can't do the PEE....ha ha ha...

Old 12-18-2011, 06:42 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I was told by HUD when we moved we would be billed the days NOT rented until end of lease! Why after all this time hasnt it been re rented? Is she not trying to get a new tenat? Is she adv it for rent? YOU Need a Lawyer.... Contact Legal Aid ASAP they do these type of cases. Any other lawyer will be happy to give you a 1 time consult via phone on inperson. They will also tell you what they will charge IF you hire them to go to court. BTW I dont blame you for leaving! People on Drugs can be Dangerous! Its not Your responsibility to clean up her other tenants!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
This thread really should be moved to the Renting (Landlord-Tenant) forum.

You definitely need to consult an attorney. Since you are a student, contact your college and see if there's a counsellor for rental issues. And look up lawyer referral for the Bar Association (lawyer group) in your city/county. You may qualify for free, but they offer a low-cost initial interview.

If you have copies of correspondence between you and the landlord where you provided the landlord with info on the illegal drugs and the landlord acknowledging it, then most judges will side with you. Besides, there is a tenant still there, so the landlord should be going after that tenant.

Relax. Judges are people, often parents, and are pretty smart.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:13 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Since this is in WV forum I figured he Lives in WV! Since state tenant laws do vary I think its fine where its at JMO

Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
I agree, I see no problem with it being here. If you are a WVU student, I believe the WVU Law School has some kind of group that might help you with this. Give them a call.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I agree, I see no problem with it being here. If you are a WVU student, I believe the WVU Law School has some kind of group that might help you with this. Give them a call.
Marshall University has a similar program as well... I'm fairly certain most schools do actually, they even provide you will free council and an attorney actually. They usually don't mind taking student slum lords on.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 AM

11 posts, read 12,818 times
You guys have helped me out a lot, thanks. Am going to sign the court papers today so I'll post back on here and let you guys know what happened once all of this is said and over with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia