Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times

Advertisements

Gov. Tomblins speech this week was directed at drug testing for state funded adult education programs.

Why not take that one step further and push it into the high schools and colleges for students and teachers?

Our workforce cannot be filled with Wv'ians because of the drug problem in our communities.

Only 1 out of 25 applicants can pass the drug test today.

It is critical for Wv to correct this problem.

Teachers, as role models, should not be excluded.

The law is not interested in catching and containing the drug dealers.

Perhaps if the demand for drugs was nullified, they would take their business elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
I thought you were for small government.

How all the sudden the state has the right to drug test students who are required by the state to attend school? We should make them get a tattoo that says, "property of the state of WV," while we are at it.

I am disappointed you in David.

Say no to the fascist nanny state.

I would be for drug testing the politicians in Charleston, but they would never pass that bill since over half of them would fail.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 04-25-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
"Only 1 out of 25 applicants can pass the drug test today."

Source?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"Only 1 out of 25 applicants can pass the drug test today."

Source?
90% of all internet statistics are made up.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 AM

396 posts, read 923,746 times
Another problem- Drug testing of welfare recipients. It is more important than drug test of middle school kids. The bill was blocked last year. It's a shame.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Wv is beginning an incredible period of growth.

The state only has about 900,000 people in the work force.

The human resources people I know in the Marcellus Gas businesses and local hospitals are the source for the 1 out of 25 job hires.

The hospitals search out to a 250 mile radius and the gas people are advertising in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisania and Arkansas for drug free people.

Our children are introduced to herion, meth and coke in the middle schools.
Everybody thinks 'it's just pot and looks the other way.

Much more that intimidation techniques of parading a pot finding dog through the school buildings need to be done.

Identification is a beginner to therapy. This is a serious problem!

At the present time, drug addiction is solved in the work place.
If a good worker is a 'druggie, the company will spend the $100,000 to dry him out. The success rate is good...in the 90% range.

The problem is this, most of these 20 yr old workers get hooked in high school...sniffing the party dust.

Your negative posts show your ignorance of the drug problems in our secondary schools...the longer it is allowed to continue the more expensive it will be to remedy.

The real solution is to go back to strong families and a good work ethic but that may have faced extinction.

Those jobs...the jobs that pay over $100,000 per year...someone will take them..
If not our children, then somebody elses. (Someone who can meet the qualifications)

Thank You for another idea...Add drug testing to our colleges too.
No Grant Money or Scholarships unless drug free.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
This nonsense with urine testing the hell out of everyone is getting out of hand. Who is making all the money from this? Pills are being advertised on TV continuously. Doctors are given incentives to prescribe meds. This is supposed to be a free country!! Keep your damn hands off of my urine, it is not none of yours or anyone's business what is in my body unless it pertains to national security.

By the way I'd fail the test because of my high blood pressure meds.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
This nonsense with urine testing the hell out of everyone is getting out of hand. Who is making all the money from this? Pills are being advertised on TV continuously. Doctors are given incentives to prescribe meds. This is supposed to be a free country!! Keep your damn hands off of my urine, it is not none of yours or anyone's business what is in my body unless it pertains to national security.

By the way I'd fail the test because of my high blood pressure meds.
It is a backlash against the poor. Everyone assumes they are on drugs. It actually cost a lot of money to constantly drug test them up and increases taxes, but nobody cares about big government when it is something they support.

Honestly, it is not a big problem in WV. I really doubt 1 & 25 people fail test in WV, or that Heroin is a problem in Middle Schools. I have never heard of it. With some HS kids yes, but that is between them and their parents. The state does not need to get involved.

David is also calling for low taxes and less government, but all the sudden he wants more government. He showed himself not as a true libertarian, but as someone who believes in an intrusive police state that does not have services for the people. Worst of both worlds.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Here's how bad it is...Drug use is both legal and illegal. It is also international in scope.

Government requirements for drinking water make it mandatory that drugs be removed from the municipal water systems.

Reverse Osmosis is the solution that works...

It's very expensive....our town spent 31 million to install a new system and then added a pre-filter to clean the water before it was treated...that was an additional 20 million.

In a way, the drugs in our childrens bodies is now and will be in the future, a condtion of local and national security.
You must remember, we are talking about minors who are the drug addicts, not old burnt out hippies waiting for the casket!

I've never, ever been a Libertarian....I am a very conservative person registered with the Democrap Party.
You could call me a Constituionalist after the order of Senator Byrd. I would agree to that.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Here's how bad it is...Drug use is both legal and illegal. It is also international in scope.

Government requirements for drinking water make it mandatory that drugs be removed from the municipal water systems.

Reverse Osmosis is the solution that works...

It's very expensive....our town spent 31 million to install a new system and then added a pre-filter to clean the water before it was treated...that was an additional 20 million.

In a way, the drugs in our childrens bodies is now and will be in the future, a condtion of local and national security.
You must remember, we are talking about minors who are the drug addicts, not old burnt out hippies waiting for the casket!

I've never, ever been a Libertarian....I am a very conservative person registered with the Democrap Party.
You could call me a Constituionalist after the order of Senator Byrd. I would agree to that.
It is not a state issue. It is a personal issue with individuals which the government has no place being. I understand that jobs can test if they want and that is fine, but getting the state involved is the wrong thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia