Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times

Advertisements

I've always been proud of my accent. During my stays in Indianapolis and Michigan it definitely got noticed. For some reason people assumed I was from Kentucky, then I would have to inform them I was from West By God Virginia. People were amazed with my manners, the whole Yes Ma'am, opening doors, that kind of deal, apparently that sort of thing is not practiced by too many people. In Michigan i met a guy born in Logan,WV and another one from Harlan, Ky, they said my voice reminded them of their younger days being back here. Northern women were the most receptive and the nicest people, apparently in love with my Appalachian Charms. I've had People from Texas tell me I sounded like Randy Moss(Straight Cash Homey,lol) and more country than anybody they ever heard, even though they had that Texas Twang in their speech. In job situations I always tried to clean the hick out of my accent, but the jobs I worked at embraced my WV roots, we have a great reputation for being hard workers. Southern Indiana below Bloomington had southern characteristics, more Farm and Country like and were pretty Redneck in my book, Cotton Eye Joe Style, I loved it! I love America and all it's diversity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
See, Indiana and Illinois, yes. But not Ohio. I have now been well acquainted with southern Ohio and it just isn't very southern. Honestly it feels just like rural PA or NY to me.

Especially Cincinatti-Middletown-Dayton. I know that area like my bathroom sink. Not southern.
Eh... maybe Cincy and nearby Kentucky are the exceptions, but go to Ironton or even Athens, OH and get back to me.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
I've always been proud of my accent. During my stays in Indianapolis and Michigan it definitely got noticed. For some reason people assumed I was from Kentucky, then I would have to inform them I was from West By God Virginia. People were amazed with my manners, the whole Yes Ma'am, opening doors, that kind of deal, apparently that sort of thing is not practiced by too many people. In Michigan i met a guy born in Logan,WV and another one from Harlan, Ky, they said my voice reminded them of their younger days being back here. Northern women were the most receptive and the nicest people, apparently in love with my Appalachian Charms. I've had People from Texas tell me I sounded like Randy Moss(Straight Cash Homey,lol) and more country than anybody they ever heard, even though they had that Texas Twang in their speech. In job situations I always tried to clean the hick out of my accent, but the jobs I worked at embraced my WV roots, we have a great reputation for being hard workers. Southern Indiana below Bloomington had southern characteristics, more Farm and Country like and were pretty Redneck in my book, Cotton Eye Joe Style, I loved it! I love America and all it's diversity!
Well then... we all can certainly tell you have that Appalachian charm from the way you write. It's definitely not redneck, so we also know you didn't spend all your time in McDowell.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Well thanks CT, I spent several years in Indianapolis and a year in Michigan. I've always loved traveling and meeting people, but I always come home to WV.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Eh... maybe Cincy and nearby Kentucky are the exceptions, but go to Ironton or even Athens, OH and get back to me.
Ironton sure, it's on the border. It's gonna be Kentucky-ish by proximity. I've been near Athens on my travels though, country? Yes. Southern? Highly debatable. You may as well call Tioga county Pennsylvania southern because I saw no difference.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
During the war WV felt so strongly about siding with the yankees it broke off from VIrginia over it. That act cements WV as a northern state forever.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
then I would have to inform them I was from West By God Virginia. People were amazed with my manners, the whole Yes Ma'am, opening doors, that kind of deal, apparently that sort of thing is not practiced by too many people. ...
Were our parents (in my case at least, mostly my mother) the only ones to insist on good manners?

Like CoW, even in my sixties now I hold doors open for females, say thank you to clerks one-third my age, etc. In many cases, they seem surprised. As CoW says, it must be rare these days.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Well thanks CT, I spent several years in Indianapolis and a year in Michigan. I've always loved traveling and meeting people, but I always come home to WV.
People in New England think I talk funny, too. Have you ever heard what those people do to the English language? Dropping R's off when they are needed and then adding R's to words that don't need any. Even JFK called this state West Virginier.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
During the war WV felt so strongly about siding with the yankees it broke off from VIrginia over it. That act cements WV as a northern state forever.
You might want to browse over to Bobilee's web page and learn the truth about the formation of WV.

http://sites.google.com/site/wvotherhistory/

Old 02-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Were our parents (in my case at least, mostly my mother) the only ones to insist on good manners?

Like CoW, even in my sixties now I hold doors open for females, say thank you to clerks one-third my age, etc. In many cases, they seem surprised. As CoW says, it must be rare these days.
I was always taught proper manners, my Mom and Dad both were real strict about being kind, friendly and cleanly. We lived beside the railroad tracks and had white rugs(coal dust from trains gets everywhere). I noticed that kids in other states were some of the most disrespectful heathens I've ever met, and their parents weren't much better. This was mostly in the cities, where's the belt when you need it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia