Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedTee View Post
Shoot snakes that WALK??????HOLY COW..........here is a website from Marshal Univ..with some pictures......oh geez now i am cringing..
Sorry, the Marshall University webpage that you were looking for cannot be found.
if that doesn't come up just google snakes in West Va..(well shoot it didn't come up)just google

Now the only place i have seen snakes in motion are in the woods..the woods u go prepared if you are out hiking and scouting around......God i don't want to see ANYTHING that WALKS and not slither..
I guess I should have said that a bit more clearly lol . Here's what I really meant! I can handle the bears and deer and mt lions etc....those "critters" that walk, but the "critters" that slither are a whole different ball game. Hubby is scared to DEATH of snakes. The only thing I am really scared of and IS NOT AN OPTION where we decide to move is alligators and crocodiles! If I ever see one of them, I am done for! I will be an easy dinner!

Anyway...thanks for the info, I will google the snakes. BTW...Georgia just won't do...That's getting too close to hurricanes and gators and crocs...NO CAN DO! I don't mind the gators that tackle on the field (and make touchdowns and such), but the ones that attack in your own back yard No thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 AM

44 posts, read 183,413 times
I lived out west many years ago. I didn't like the unrelenting heat either, so I moved back east. The critters never really bothered me except for those few scorpions that would sneak into the house and hide in your shoes!

Like ANY place, W.V. has its good and bad points. Some of the wildlife you might see are bears, bobcats, coyotes, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits and other sorts of critters. Most of these animals will leave you alone if you don't feed or bother them.

The weather is nice most of the year, but when it snows, you don't want to be on those icy, mountainous roads without the right kind of vehicle. There are lots of mountains.

Another thing you want to be aware of if you choose to live in a more rural area are hunters and drug runners. If you check out United Country real estate, you will see many excellent bargains for rural property in W.V.. There is a reason why they are so inexpensive. The northern part of the state is notorious for HUGE pot growing operations. Some are even bigger than those in California. These are very sophisticated operations that set lethal booby traps to keep out strangers and law enforcement.

"The tests will be conducted in an area of the country where the illegal cultivation of marijuana has exploded over the past few decades, eclipsing the region's traditional illegal commodity, "moonshine." Approximately 40 percent of the nation's marijuana plants come from West Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky, causing local, state and federal law enforcement agencies to proclaim this 65-county region the Appalachian High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area. "

I think its always a good idea to RENT in a new local before you buy. The real estate market stinks in many parts of the Mid-west, and you wouldn't want to be stuck with a piece of real estate in a buyer's market. Its a good idea to read the online newspapers for the areas in which you are interested. Check out their classifieds as well as events around town to see if this would be of interest.

Craigslistdotcom is a good place to look for rentals and other things of interest in many cities.

Good luck

Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
I don't think any city in WV has 50,000 people - I'm thinking Charleston and Huntington have 40 some thousand and those are the "big" cities in this state.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I don't think any city in WV has 50,000 people - I'm thinking Charleston and Huntington have 40 some thousand and those are the "big" cities in this state.
Charleston has 50,846 people and Huntington has 49,007 people as of 2006. The next biggest city is Parkersburg with 31,755 people, then Wheeling with 29,330 people and then Morgantown with 28,654 people to round out the top 5.

kawgpz550, check out the Huntington area. Huntington has the most mild winter weather in WV with winter temps rarely in the single digits. As far as snow, we usually get a couple of 1-2" dustings with one snow of around 8" and that is usually about it for a typical winter. The hardest thing for you to adjust to would be the humidity. Coming from the dry heat of the desert, the high humidity here would a big change.

Huntington as a community though has a lot to offer. Good shopping, lots of theater/arts offerings, comedy clubs, lots of good local and national restaurants and great fairs/festivals throughout the year. The parks in Huntington are top notch with plenty of improvements planned in the near future including an expanded playground at Ritter park next year and a renovated riverfront park with bike paths and other improvements in the works. Huntington is also flat in the downtown part of the city and the mountains around it are more like hills for those of you who are scared of the mountains and the curves that come with them. Go rent "We are Marshall" with Matthew McConaughey if you want to see Huntington. A good portion of the movie was actually filmed here and it kind of gives you a feel for the area. Here are some links below to give you an idea of what the area has to offer. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
Tim

City of Huntington, West Virginia
The Greater Huntington Community Web Portal
Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District
http://www.huntingtonmall.com/home/index.ch2
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
Marshall Artists Series
Modern Photo Album | Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center, Inc. (http://www.keithalbeearts.org/node/133 - broken link)

Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times
Thank you all very much for the information you have given! I really appreciate it. I will go through those links and get as much info as possible.

RoadMap and Bailey...very informative! I really really appreciate it!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM

306 posts, read 1,243,064 times
Hey guys we mite have a 'keeper'..........LOL and def. rent that movie..WOW...

Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
WV has black snakes & garder snakes & a few more non poisonous ones. I been here 32 wild years an hve only seen a few snakes. We also have Mountion rattlers as poisonous snake and in 32 years I have only heard of 1 person getting bit & no deaths. The only bad spider is Brown Recluse again I have yet to see 1.

Really the worst problem will be a job. & that may not be a problem if you have your own business.

Weather shock could be a problem, so I would sugest looking into Virginia.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,278 times
I appreciate all the comments here, I will be heading to Fairmont in 1 1/2 weeks.
After reading the post by Road Map, I can understand why people told my wife, when she was back there visiting, that she should be careful about turning around in driveways, and if it says "keep out", you'd better "keep out". Not in Fairmont, but when driving the hiways and byways.
Snakes... My dad was born in E. Ky, and always told a story about granny killin' a copperhead in the kitchen. I prefer rattlers because they let you know what's up.
And in Ca, the mountain lions have been known to drag off hikers and bicyclists. Coyotes live in the channel behind my house and prowl my yard at night. I've been camping in the mountains a few times and didn't see any bears but to my surprise, I discovered There are pine cones the size of the Liberty Bell, falling from these reeeeally tall trees. Literally, one would kill you if it fell on you from so high up..
So, what other weird things does a newcomer need to watch for in WV ? ( I hear they don't have a lot of pine trees, so there must be something else)

Old 10-23-2007, 01:58 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
Citybilly: If you go walking in the pine forest...wear a helmet...a no brainer.
When you get to Fairmont...go to Bellview and get a pepperoni bun at
Collasessano's to celebrate the safe journey...Your local friends will be
surprised...and they should pick up the tab.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 AM

306 posts, read 1,243,064 times
Weird things.hmmmmmm..I know what was strange for me when moving here was the hospitality of the people........That was new to me.......(sorry Fla)..

Locals knew i was an outsider real quick when i went into the job market here and I saw so Many Women supporting their Men............WTH? This blew me away..They are making min. wage barely making it and their men are at home.no desire to work..Boy i spoke my opinion real quick.......These women didn't see anything wrong with it.. I am not saying all just a whole bunch of them in my 'town'.......I was floored..and the lack of high school diplomas from these girls..........

Employers accept more call in's and no shows than i have ever witnessed..without doing anything about it......god that makes it so hard on others who try to do their best..They never reprimanded or fired..Because many said when they get rid of one then the next one comes in and does the same thing...........U have got to be kidding..Where is the pride of doing an actual day's work.......i guess that's part to do with the low freakin wages here.........Why bother attitude.......These people can only take so much then they start giving up..WAKE UP politicians..............
oops i know this wasn't the weird u were referring to but this floored me and still does on what goes on here..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia