Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,238,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
No doubt about it, I KNOW I will be much happier there, there is 15 of everything there, growth, opportunity, great shopping, tons of things to get out and do and lots of things to go see. I can take day trips to GA and NC. Can't wait to take a day trip to Charleston! I don't know why anyone would be sad living there, shoot it's paradise. Also down there, no excuse for being fat there is lots of things to get out and do and see, why stay home when you don't have to? Go tour the area and enjoy life! If people are sad down there or fat it's their own fault....not the states. I can at least have some pride in the place I want to live when I move, people actually WANT to call that place home.
If you can't motivate yourself to get out and do and see in WV, then you won't be able to do it in NC. Active people stay active, non-active people don't. It doesn't matter where you live ... it's a matter of who you are and who you want to become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,418,499 times
Just jumping in here....but its true, the poorer areas do have the fatter populations. Its not because they eat more, but can only afford poor quality food. Lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole-grain breads, are expensive. Many poor fill up on white bread, soda, processed snacks, etc. I was recently diagnosed diabetic, and have it under control, due to healthy eating. But, thank God, I can afford such. For many, it becomes an inward spiral, poverty, poor eating, poor health, obesity, diabetes, lack of access to health care, etc, etc.

BTW, my grandparents were from WV, they moved to Detroit for financial advantages. Well, now look at Detroit---can't win!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,055,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Another poll has WV as the fattest state in the union.

Is Your State the Fattest? - weather.com

Is it just me or is WV a sinking ship that everyone just needs to flee in order to have a better life? I'm starting to see how much of a joke WV is. I kind of already knew but now I REALLY know and now it's just becoming funny. Glad i'm leaving this state soon, i'm tired of being in a really bad state. No wonder people make fun of this state, it's the worst in the USA. It's starting to be funny how bad it is, but it's also sad...sad that this state is the way it is, I have yet to ever find one good thing about living in WV and that is just sad.
It would seem you come from Carolina... a place that lists as its primary accomplishment giving hundreds of millions of people cancer via that vile product they shoved at folks for centuries. If that doesn't cause you to feel some sadness rather than "lol" I don't know what would. I just know you probably actually believe Weather.com is some sort of authority on a matter like public health, don't you now?

But, if you're in our state and "can't wait to get out"... what's the holdup? From my point of view, you should make sure to not let the door hit you any place you wouldn't want on the way out.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 AM

4,968 posts, read 8,966,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Its really SWV, and especially Huntington, that gives WV this reputation. In NCWV and EP things are better.
More mindless hatred with no facts to back up claims. What is it you always tell people? There's a difference between fact and opinion and your skewed opinion fueled by hatred, disdain and disrespect holds little importance. All of WV has a weight issue to work on and it is not centered in Huntington or even southern WV, it's everywhere.

Diabetes and Obesity Rates by County Reference. Compare reviews & ratings. (put WV in on the menu to he left)

Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It would seem you come from Carolina... a place that lists as its primary accomplishment giving hundreds of millions of people cancer via that vile product they shoved at folks for centuries. If that doesn't cause you to feel some sadness rather than "lol" I don't know what would. I just know you probably actually believe Weather.com is some sort of authority on a matter like public health, don't you now?

But, if you're in our state and "can't wait to get out"... what's the holdup? From my point of view, you should make sure to not let the door hit you any place you wouldn't want on the way out.
Don't act like WV is morally superior to anywhere. If WV were flat, it would be a huge tobacco growing state. It's just that the land is too hilly for much farming. BTW, there is a modest amount of burley tobacco grown in the flatter areas of sw WV.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Don't act like WV is morally superior to anywhere. If WV were flat, it would be a huge tobacco growing state. It's just that the land is too hilly for much farming. BTW, there is a modest amount of burley tobacco grown in the flatter areas of sw WV.
I think the point he made was that one shouldn't be morally superior when there are flaws everywhere. To make his point he pointed out one.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 AM

708 posts, read 1,158,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
More mindless hatred with no facts to back up claims. What is it you always tell people? There's a difference between fact and opinion and your skewed opinion fueled by hatred, disdain and disrespect holds little importance. All of WV has a weight issue to work on and it is not centered in Huntington or even southern WV, it's everywhere.

Diabetes and Obesity Rates by County Reference. Compare reviews & ratings. (put WV in on the menu to he left)
I've tried to stress this same point before, it is a Statewide epidemic.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,565,469 times
First, these surveys look at only a few indicators, those of their choosing, and then jump to these conclusions about how miserable or unhealthy a state or city is. Having grown up in WV, and now living in "Carolina", I can tell you that NC is so so, and WV is not so bad. The only advantages NC has are that it has a few large metro areas, which is where I need to be located in my profession, and a warmer climate, which is not a huge deal, except as I get older, I hate cold, snow, and driving on snowy, hilly roads and highways.
As for So. Caroliina, it's pretty much a warmer WV with a beach.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its not because they eat more, but can only afford poor quality food.
Poor quality food (especially corn and its by-products) is heavily subsidized by the US government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, whole-grain breads, are expensive ...
... because they are not subsidized.

80% of all food available to Americans is processed. There is big money behind it. Things won't change.

Try not to buy food with a label on it.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,882,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

Your map proves my point. Huntington is the worst area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia