Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:44 PM

12 posts, read 20,054 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

By considering I mean researching a possible job opportunity that is located in Martinsburg. It's a federal job with pay that would be a substantial pay increase for me here in the Phoenix area. I've studied the cost of living and it's somewhat comparable in certain areas. My question is, what are other town/city options are there to live in if I were to work in Martinsburg but didn't want to live there? I have family in Leesburg, VA but housing there (or VA in general) is astronomical. A typical commute where I am in AZ is anywhere from 30-60min. Thanks in advance for any insight, it's appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 02:54 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalo View Post
Hi All,

By considering I mean researching a possible job opportunity that is located in Martinsburg. It's a federal job with pay that would be a substantial pay increase for me here in the Phoenix area. I've studied the cost of living and it's somewhat comparable in certain areas. My question is, what are other town/city options are there to live in if I were to work in Martinsburg but didn't want to live there? I have family in Leesburg, VA but housing there (or VA in general) is astronomical. A typical commute where I am in AZ is anywhere from 30-60min. Thanks in advance for any insight, it's appreciated.
I think that you should really consider living in or around Martinsburg as it is a nice growing community BUT other options that I would consider are Hagerstown, MD and Federick, MD. Hagerstown is slightly smaller than Frederick but it is much closer. I honestly might go with Frederick. It is within your commune time and about an hour from DC. You will have many more options there. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that it is cheaper to live in Maryland than Virginia. If that is true then those are your go to places for sure.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
GET OUT OF ARIZONA!!! I just moved to Elkins last June from Scottsdale. I miss the winters but not the unbearable heat in the summer. Also, the people are nicer and my rent is about 500.00 a month cheaper I know what you mean about the commute as well. I literally lived like 5 miles from work but it would take 30-45 minutes depending on the 101 traffic.

If you're working and living in Martinsburg your commute wouldn't that bad. Commuting to DC (which many people do) is a little more of a haul and headache. Also, another noticeable difference is WV is not nearly as bad as AZ in terms of it being a police state.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. GottaHerdOn, I live and work in Gilbert, about 13 miles apart and it takes me no less than 25 minutes due to having to take side streets. When I worked further I used the freeway and it was longer. My current salary is $34,000 here in Arizona and the possible job opportunity would be a $29,000 increase. My wife is a paralegal and interested in law school so I was thinking of an area in between Martinsburg and DC.

GottaHerdOn, sounds like you like it out there? What made you move?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 PM

I forgot to ask, does it snow in or around Martinsburg?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
I forgot to ask, does it snow in or around Martinsburg?
Yeah, a moderate amount.

It isnt so bad. Snow and cold is better than heat.

Throw on a jacket and it isnt bad. Ive lived in Texas and ive lived in WV. It is nicer to have four seasons than a brutal summer and a mild winter that still seems cold when you adopt to the climate. You also get real spring and fall.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM

537 posts, read 958,689 times
Try Harpers Ferry / Shepherdstown / Charles Town areas. 15-20 mins from Martinsburg, but (IMHO) nicer towns. Reasonable home prices (Shepherdstown would be the higher end).

Old 07-27-2013, 05:14 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,488 times
You haven't really said anything about the amenities that you would need, nor where in the Martinsburg area your teaching job will be. Do you want to live in-town, outside of town, housing development, or just "in the country"? Hedgesville to the west of Martinsburg seems to have a couple of nice developments, and Spring Mills slightly north of Martinsburg is a growing area. Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown and Charles Town are all east of Martinsburg, and I suspect all are slightly more expensive due to their proximity to the NOVA and DC areas. If you are working in Martinsburg, and you end up with an hour commute ..... you've done something wrong. This is a beautiful area; I love living in the eastern panhandle. Good luck in your research. Folks here are very friendly and helpful ..... toss out specific questions.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. GottaHerdOn, I live and work in Gilbert, about 13 miles apart and it takes me no less than 25 minutes due to having to take side streets. When I worked further I used the freeway and it was longer. My current salary is $34,000 here in Arizona and the possible job opportunity would be a $29,000 increase. My wife is a paralegal and interested in law school so I was thinking of an area in between Martinsburg and DC.

GottaHerdOn, sounds like you like it out there? What made you move?
I'm originally from WV, I only lived in Phoenix while I was going to grad school at ASU. We moved back as soon as I was finished... haha

Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
You haven't really said anything about the amenities that you would need, nor where in the Martinsburg area your teaching job will be. Do you want to live in-town, outside of town, housing development, or just "in the country"? Hedgesville to the west of Martinsburg seems to have a couple of nice developments, and Spring Mills slightly north of Martinsburg is a growing area. Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown and Charles Town are all east of Martinsburg, and I suspect all are slightly more expensive due to their proximity to the NOVA and DC areas. If you are working in Martinsburg, and you end up with an hour commute ..... you've done something wrong. This is a beautiful area; I love living in the eastern panhandle. Good luck in your research. Folks here are very friendly and helpful ..... toss out specific questions.
Well I'm doing very preliminary research. I've applied for a job in Martinsburg that is double my salary out here in Arizona. My wife is a paralegal and contemplating law school so I was thinking something that would be in between the two, preferably a closer commute for her. I have family in Leesburg but the cost of living in that whole area is astronomical. I'm thinking it may be easier for my wife to find a job, should my opportunity develop, in the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia