Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
There may be more Pittsburgh sports fans but A LOT of people from Huntington and Charleston go to the Carolinas to play. Everyone below their 30s ventures down to Myrtle Beach, SC. Lots of people go to Charlotte as well, probably just as many if not more. It is very very common to WV plates in Charlotte. You may not be aware of it but West Virginians are down there a lot. In fact, most of the people who I have known to move out Huntington or Charleston have gone to live in Charlotte.

Southern West Virginians often visit Charlotte. They often stay...
I can't disagree with that. It's a long way from there to the Carolinas, but it is about as close as it gets to anywhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:36 AM

110 posts, read 224,153 times
Charlotte had defense jobs, lots of them.
Relatives came to visit those working in Charlotte. Spent a lot of summer vacations visiting relatives there and shopping in Belk’s and Ivey’s. Cousins thought of that as home and found service jobs there. However - their father is buried in WV.

Jobs, family, shopping, recreation – patterns that get established determine where people go.

I remember going to Grafton to get on the B & O the midnight of Thanksgiving day to spend Friday and Saturday shopping in D.C. and looking at the Woodward & Lothrop windows decorated for Christmas.

We never went to Pittsburgh or Fairmont or Charleston. Though we watched Pirate's games.
Just realized I've spent more time in Hong Kong than in all three of those cities put together.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
I don't think public transit connections inter-city wise in WV is necessary. I wasn't aware there was a public bus line from here to Huntington I even question the necessity of that. The vast majority of people here in the Charleston area and all over West Virginia drive, just like it is in all of rural America. I don't think there is a bus to Beckley but Beckley is also well connected to here.

I think the northern and eastern panhandles are often forgotten especially as the EP is separated from the rest of the state by mountain ranges and you can't easily drive from Charles Town to the central part of the state without going through Maryland or Virginia. I wonder if NP residents (especially up toward Weirton) identify more with Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't think public transit connections inter-city wise in WV is necessary. I wasn't aware there was a public bus line from here to Huntington I even question the necessity of that. The vast majority of people here in the Charleston area and all over West Virginia drive, just like it is in all of rural America. I don't think there is a bus to Beckley but Beckley is also well connected to here.

I think the northern and eastern panhandles are often forgotten especially as the EP is separated from the rest of the state by mountain ranges and you can't easily drive from Charles Town to the central part of the state without going through Maryland or Virginia. I wonder if NP residents (especially up toward Weirton) identify more with Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Actually, that is not true. There are thousands of students from southern West Virginia who would benefit directly from such a service, as opposed to a couple dozen who benefit from the current operation. You're right about the EP, but then again no part of our state spends much time thinking about any other part. We have five distinct districts here, most of which are only indirectly related to the others. At least one of them is artificial and actually amounts to two. North Central's association with other parts of West Virginia is stronger than that of any other area due to the influence of The University.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:52 PM

941 posts, read 1,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Actually, that is not true. There are thousands of students from southern West Virginia who would benefit directly from such a service, as opposed to a couple dozen who benefit from the current operation.
Are you referring to a form of public transportation that would take students from Charleston to either Fairmont State U or WVU?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Are you referring to a form of public transportation that would take students from Charleston to either Fairmont State U or WVU?
Exactly. It would also transport people to and from business meetings and meetings with politicians, and provide a means for some folks in southern West Virginia who don't have their own cars to get to medical options they have trouble attaining under the current situation. Twice daily service... early morning and early evening.

Southern West Virginia deserves to be connected to NCWV, and vice versa. The narrow special interest groups that work to stop that from happening are doing a great disservice to everyone.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM

941 posts, read 1,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Exactly. It would also transport people to and from business meetings and meetings with politicians, and provide a means for some folks in southern West Virginia who don't have their own cars to get to medical options they have trouble attaining under the current situation. Twice daily service... early morning and early evening.

Southern West Virginia deserves to be connected to NCWV, and vice versa. The narrow special interest groups that work to stop that from happening are doing a great disservice to everyone.
Well I can tell you that would not work well for students. The drive too long and public transportation would just increase the time. It isn't like the drive from Huntington to Charleston. Very very few students, if any, would use public transport if the travel time was any more than an hour.

Also, those attending business meetings might just be well off already. Those people are very often don't like taking public transportation. The only people who this might apply to are those without cars and the elderly.

I very much doubt that medical services will create a decent ridership either. Charleston provides most of the medical needs for it's population. People would only have to visit Morgantown in rare circumstances.

Something like this might only work if both cities had around 100,000 people. Time and distance are you enemy on this one.

I'm if this is rude, but most of the above is common sense. There is just no way at this point in time that public transport between Morgantown and Charleston is feasible.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
I don't see Parkersburg as "low growth potential" at all. The expansion of the Bureau of Fiscal Services (or whatever Public Debt is called) is coming a little at a time. Their is great construction potential if an ethane "Cracker" facility is placed down in Washington bottom.

The fact we have both East/West and North/South highways along with railways and waterways creates big potential to many companies. Coldwater Creek located their warehouse here because of the access to millions of people in a short period of time.

Potential is there as far as I am concerned.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I don't see Parkersburg as "low growth potential" at all. The expansion of the Bureau of Fiscal Services (or whatever Public Debt is called) is coming a little at a time. Their is great construction potential if an ethane "Cracker" facility is placed down in Washington bottom.

The fact we have both East/West and North/South highways along with railways and waterways creates big potential to many companies. Coldwater Creek located their warehouse here because of the access to millions of people in a short period of time.

Potential is there as far as I am concerned.
Isn't Parkersburg in the wet shale area with some of the best in the state?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 PM

282 posts, read 484,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I don't see Parkersburg as "low growth potential" at all. Their is great construction potential if an ethane "Cracker" facility is placed down in Washington bottom.
Stay tuned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia