Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 5,258 times

Advertisements

I moved to Martinsburg last June. I live in an apartment with 4 units (2 up top, 2 on the bottom) and I live on the bottom floor. I rarely speak to my neighbors outside of the occasional hi in the parking lot.

My above neighbor is insanely loud she also has a 1 year old. Since moving in the noise has woken me up at least 9 times. To put this in context I use to live on an aircraft carrier just 2 years ago and I slept fine. This morning I heard a crash and my ceiling vibrated, it woke me up (around 5 am). I went back to sleep to be woken up again at around 8:30 am from an extremely loud series of bangs. At this point I grabbed a broom like I've done many times and hit the ceiling about 3 times. I then heard a bunch of loud stomps and 5 minutes later my doorbell rang. I answered my door and my neighbor asked me if I hit the ceiling. I told her I did because she woke me up. She then told me she had a 1 year old and she was not going to "tie him down" and I need to stop banging on the ceiling because it scares her kid. I informed her that this noise was nearly every day and night. She then got even more angry and started dropping F bombs all over the place telling me her son wakes up at 5:45 am everyday and I need to "effing deal with it". I closed the door in her face and tried to go back to sleep, but she got even louder.

I'm the type of person who likes to be left alone and tries not to disturb anyone. I have boxed for many years and none of my neighbors even knew because I'd time my heavy bag training to when no one was home. I don't care how loud she is from 9am-11pm, but I sleep at 11pm.

I'm thinking at this point I need to go to the apartment office tomorrow and lodge a complaint. If she comes down to my door again cursing me out I'll call the police.

Any advice on how to handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 12:02 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Do what you said Report her in WRITING! Scare her kid WOW What does she think the kids throwing thing & banging does to you??

Old 04-26-2015, 12:16 PM

My best friend gave me a good idea. I already have the perfect tool. If she expects me to be cool with non-stop noise she can deal with loud music and me boxing from 7 pm-11 pm weekdays and 7 pm-12 am. I think her kid's room is above my boxing studio too.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:44 PM

NO NO NO!! Do that YOU will get evicted!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
There is nothing that can be done about a noisy kid at 8:30. They can throw a party at 8:30 and there really is little you can do.

The cops aren't going to do anything either.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Also check the lease see what they have in it for Quiet Time.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Lease says nothing about hours it just states

"Residents, family, and guest shall not make or allow loud or unreasonable noises or sounds. Residents shall not disturb other residents' peaceful enjoyment of the premises. Loud noises or disorderly conduct will result in a notice to vacate the premises and termination of agreement."

I filed my first complaint to the landlord today. I'll keep filing till she stops waking me up or she gets evicted. If she comes down to curse me out again I'll phone the police. The lease also states that if the police are called more than once on a tenant the lease can be terminated. So I won't tolerate the cussing me out.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM

537 posts, read 958,494 times
GoNavy, what about wearing ear plugs when you sleep? I mean, if it's a 1-year-old making lots of noise, there may not be much the mom can do about it. Doesn't sound like you have any sympathy/understanding of her situation.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM

I'd have more sympathy if she didn't come downstairs and tell me to "effing deal with it". That's just plain rude and trashy. Plus what 1 year old is up at 3:30-4am (she woke my guest up last night). I don't care how loud she is from 9-9. Her kid is so loud it shakes my apartment (took a video of it shaking my kitchen light), ear plugs won't cut down on vibration.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:55 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,576 times
And she might have handled it differently if you were an adult about it and spoke with her in person. I really don't blame her for being upset if this is the first she knows of a problem.

Most people are awake at 0830 unless they are working some sort if shifts. Is that the case? maybe see if you can relocate to an upstairs apartment when one comes free.

As for the 330am episode, is that everyday? Maybe the child is sick? Or has other issues. Again you don't really know. In Mom's eyes you attacked them...so she did what mom's do.

An emotional response only results in another emotional response until someone steps up.

Last edited by dbbd; 04-27-2015 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia