Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 AM

169 posts, read 592,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I think I read somewhere that the pet tax is $10.00 outside city limits and $20.00 inside (yes, you pay more taxes inside city limits). I am not going to get rid of my doggy over $10.00 .

Atleast there aren't no taxes on kid, I'd have to re-think paying that .

Just kidding.
Now that's funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times
so, lone star .... what job draws you to weirton? i lived in that area back in the 70's.

to catch a couple other items in this thread .... i grew up in wv and still have family there. i've never heard of a "tv tax". i'll have to do some research on that one.

about six years ago, i moved from northern va into wv's eastern panhandle. certainly no increase in my car insurance ... my agent was licensed in both va and wv so i didn't even change agents. i actually saw a slight decrease in auto premiums.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I think I read somewhere that the pet tax is $10.00 outside city limits and $20.00 inside (yes, you pay more taxes inside city limits). I am not going to get rid of my doggy over $10.00 .

Atleast there aren't no taxes on kid, I'd have to re-think paying that .

Just kidding.
LOL@ janipoo. I think the kid tax is school taxes.

Wouldn't it make a great parade in charleston to have every man, woman, child and dog walk the streets with stickers itemizing what was taxed pasted on them?

Hahahahaa

Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billscamaros View Post
so, lone star .... what job draws you to weirton? i lived in that area back in the 70's.

to catch a couple other items in this thread .... i grew up in wv and still have family there. i've never heard of a "tv tax". i'll have to do some research on that one.

about six years ago, i moved from northern va into wv's eastern panhandle. certainly no increase in my car insurance ... my agent was licensed in both va and wv so i didn't even change agents. i actually saw a slight decrease in auto premiums.
Howdy pard. No job is bringing me back to WV, I am retired. There are three reasons bringing me back to be honest with you.

#1. I have always loved WV and have missed it ever since I left in the mid 70's.

#2. I lost my wife to cancer in October of 2006 and it's just me now, no children.

#3. I have an older brother who resides in the Pittsburgh area and I have no desire to live in PA so... Weirton seemed the best choice. I am also looking at Follansbee & Wellsburg as other options. I would like to be as close to my brother as possible without a lot of commuting.

It's time now to return home where my heart has always been and I am really looking forward to it. Back when my wife was around, I would always say & most folks always knew that; "when I die, I would like my ashes tossed over the falls there at Black Water Falls". Well, now it will be much easier and I have my brother's word that if I go before him... he will see that my last wish is carried out.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
reb, of all the things you'll be getting rid of, I'm glad you decided to keep the love.
blessings for your wonderful example

Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
LOL@ janipoo. I think the kid tax is school taxes.

Wouldn't it make a great parade in charleston to have every man, woman, child and dog walk the streets with stickers itemizing what was taxed pasted on them?

Hahahahaa
Yeah, I'd have an extra sticker on my rear showing that I paid extra for that .

Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
reb, of all the things you'll be getting rid of, I'm glad you decided to keep the love.
blessings for your wonderful example
You are too kind. Thank you.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rebel View Post
Howdy pard. No job is bringing me back to WV, I am retired. There are three reasons bringing me back to be honest with you.

#1. I have always loved WV and have missed it ever since I left in the mid 70's.

#2. I lost my wife to cancer in October of 2006 and it's just me now, no children.

#3. I have an older brother who resides in the Pittsburgh area and I have no desire to live in PA so... Weirton seemed the best choice. I am also looking at Follansbee & Wellsburg as other options. I would like to be as close to my brother as possible without a lot of commuting.

It's time now to return home where my heart has always been and I am really looking forward to it. Back when my wife was around, I would always say & most folks always knew that; "when I die, I would like my ashes tossed over the falls there at Black Water Falls". Well, now it will be much easier and I have my brother's word that if I go before him... he will see that my last wish is carried out.
lone star .... sorry to hear about your loss.

weirton is a nice area, with several nice sections. marland heights is full of houses with charm and character; there are a couple of decent developments off of weirton heights.

the steel mill is barely hanging on these days. it's an economically depressed area. there were far worse places to grow up.

kind of north of weirton on rt 2 is swearingen hill. if i recall, there is a hancock county sportsman's club a few miles out there that has a shooting range (saw one of your other threads). further north of weirton is the town of chester. you might consider looking in that area. it's another small town with nice houses. i believe that the old hillcrest orchards are now a small wv public hunting area .... another shooting range there.

anything in hancock county or brooke county would offer you fairly easy access to pittsburgh. rt 22 runs directly from weirton into pittsburgh, while route 30 wanders thru the country between chester and pittsburgh. both towns have bridges across the river into ohio. (some trivia for you ... across the ohio river from chester is the ohio town of east liverpool. the lewis & clark expedition in the early 1800's started down the ohio river from pittsburgh, and the river was dried out near east liverpool. lewis & clark rented mule teams from east liverpool residents to pull their boats downstream. pretty amazing, if you've ever seen the current ohio river.)

good luck with your move.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:43 PM

That is some interesting trivia. I thank you for your kind words and I really appreciate all your input billscamaros. I will look into the Chester area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia