Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times

Advertisements

This being a political year of change, it seems fitting to get to know some of the hidden taxes are paying. Let's list the charges that are added to our normal bills to begin with..
I know this will be boring, I'm hoping the research and awareness will justify the effort.

Electric: Allegheny Power: $13.94 per month for Environmental Control.
$167.28 annual extra charge.

Landfill: Meadowfill to the WV Public Service Comm. $9.00 fuel charge ?
$108.00 annual extra charge

Telephone: Other: (at one time for the Rescue Squad) $2.16 per month
Other: Taxes and credits unknown $1.25 per month
Subscriber line charge: to bring the service into the state: $6.50
$118.92 annual extra charge.

Auto insurance: State Asessment $2.40

Cell Phone: Don't have that bill handy..has several charges.

Real Estate: Credit to 'Habitat for Humanity' by the seller: $20.00 per sale
Real Estate: Double taxes if you live out of state. WV takes 40% of county
real property taxes.

Auto: Annual inspection: $12.00 per year
MC: Training to ride a Motorcycle: $150.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Thanks for the effort, I appreciate it as a future West Virginian!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:04 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Okay, I will put my two cents in.

We just moved to WV about 4 months ago and we had BGE for electric......well lets just say we were bending over 72% increase and now I see they are going up another 5% in June.

Verizon, they have so many fees you can't keep up with them. I was hoping to get away from them. We have Frontier in Paw Paw and there aren't nearly as many fees.

As far as property taxes, out of state residents don't pay more for them. Since we lived out of state and have owned property in Paw Paw for a few years I know for a fact that they don't charge for it. About a year or so ago they tried to pass it but it didn't go through because there are so many of us. What I don't understand is that if you are a WV resident and own more than 1 property than your taxes are double, that is not right. That is why they tried to change it but they weren't going to give up out of state buying property along with the WV residents double taxes on their second properties.

Also, we came from Anne Arundel County, MD and we had a flush tax on our water bill. They even put it on people that had septics. It was suppose to go to the Chesapeake Bay, that they will never get cleaned up with all the idiots that pollute it along with the boats and all.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Your correction is noted...that's rental property that is double taxed...sorry. If you live out of state and own rental property here, the property tax is doubled.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Your correction is noted...that's rental property that is double taxed...sorry. If you live out of state and own rental property here, the property tax is doubled.
I hadn't heard of that one, since we have only been a resident for a few months I am not sure what to expect when property taxes come due this year. I know the assessor came out this last year and I gave him a PO. Box that we had but told him we were not living here as of yet so maybe we can get by with another year, at least I am hoping.

With that said, I am still waiting to find out what all is involved with the personal taxes.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 PM

169 posts, read 592,576 times
WOW, this is all depressing news for someone returning to West Virginia. To top all of this off, I just found out today when I talked to my insurance company (no names mentioned) that when I relocate to West Virginia my car insurance will almost triple!!!

Yeah, I may have to re-think this whole thing!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:00 AM

Lone Star Rebel: The WV insurance rates are based on a geographical format. If you are moving into one of the southern counties where people were burning their cars regularly for the insurance claim, it will be very high. Up north the rates seem more reasonable.
Insurance companies here have taken a hit through the years and many won't even do business in WV.
I've used a huge national company for over 20 yrs and send my premium to Dayton, Ohio.
To me, they have been very fair in price compared to the local companies...give them a call: Metropolitian...ie: Metlife Auto & Home 800-422-4272

Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
I want to be sure I'm interpreting this correctly: If I own property in WV, but reside in another state, I'm exempt from property taxation?

Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
I want to be sure I'm interpreting this correctly: If I own property in WV, but reside in another state, I'm exempt from property taxation?
You still have to pay property taxes but not personal taxes.

Lone Star, yes our car insurance went way up but at the same time our home insurance was cut in half.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 AM

Property taxes are carried on real property.
Personal Property is carried on your personal possessions. (vehicles, boats, MC, ATV's and color TV's)
During the 1800's those same taxes were on carriages, clocks and window glass...LOL, they are not new)

two different tax animals....Property Tax and Personal Property Tax
As the assistant to Congressman X once said, "If they can't pay the taxes, they will just have to move, we need the revenue stream." The Congressman said, "The revenue stream is green.."

We also have the timber tax and the underground mineral taxes...as of now the air is not taxed.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 01-30-2008 at 07:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia