Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 12,096 times

Advertisements

Newby to this forum (first post) and am interested in Marlington area for the purposes retirement and escaping Fl. summer heat by pulling a Fifth Wheel RV and staying there for the summer/fall season, before returning to Fl. for winter. I am familiar with Greenbrier County since I have family in Lewisburg. I have enjoyed the area and having done a search on line I feel that Pocahontas County would be even better. I have seen several properties for sale along the river that would be perfect for a camp. They have anywhere from 1-3 acres and some already have a septic/water/elec. and a small trailer on one. My concern is about flash flooding without any warning. I realize rivers will rise but will there be enough warning to pack up and get out of harms way if necessary. Would appreciate direct feedback from locals about this issue. As a final note I was wondering if there is a RV park to stay at in the area while I look around for that special property to develope into my dream RV campsite. If flooding is a big issue I may consider above flood zone property just off Rt219 but still easy access to river. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:30 AM

107 posts, read 361,224 times
Hello...Look around Anthony Creek it goes from white sulphur springs to marlinton on route 92..There is alot of campgrounds and ideal places for RV's if you want by yourself or around others...Have you seen this between lewisburg and alderson as well on Route 63? Greenbrier River Campground

Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times
There are 88 campsites in Watoga State Park, near Hillsboro. Link

Seneca State Forest, between Marlinton and Green Bank, has 10 camping sites. Link

There are a number of nearby campgrounds in the Monongahela National Forest, including along the Williams and Cranberry Rivers. Link

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 AM

Flooding indeed can be an issue. The Greenbrier isn't dammed, and drains a large area. Water rises rapidly in the narrow valleys. Fortunately, there's plenty of land that's high enough to be safe in anything but Noah's Flood.

There was a pretty serious flood within the last 10-20 years, so the flood plain should be well known. You might want to drop by the County Planning Office sometime during the summer and take a look at the flood plain maps that I'm sure they have.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,549 times
Default We be local!!

Hey there!
Your choosing a very special place in Pocahontas County, WV. We have 10.4 acres bordering Seneca State Forest we are about to build a cabin on. I'm always running around over there someplace, be glad to foward some info to ya on local campgrounds & all. Really depends on what you want, all the hook-ups?? or more remote?? Pocahontas County is known as the "Birthplace of Rivers" there are 8 rivers flowing out & 0 flowing in!! A good website to go to for small acreage lots is property4u.com We bought our original acreage from Red Oak Properties & they were great, all kinds of good deals. There is 10.4 acres in Greenbrier County near Sherwood Lake with a stocked trout stream (Anthony Creek) as your boundary for $82,400.00. Red Oak Realty, wv NEOLA ----10.4 ACRES-- ALL LEVEL---ANTHONY CREEK --- SMALL CAMP BUILDING----WELL-------BEAUTIFUL PROPERTY NEAR SHERWOOD LAKE AND MONONGEHELA NATIONAL FOREST---GREAT HOMESITES!!!! It's a beautiful level parcel near everything. It has an 80 ft well, electric & telephone service already. I thought about buying this parcel myself & dividing it into 3 RV sites to resell. If ya want more info, I got it. I've been researching this area for a long while now. Take Care, Eric B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRussel View Post
Newby to this forum (first post) and am interested in Marlington area for the purposes retirement and escaping Fl. summer heat by pulling a Fifth Wheel RV and staying there for the summer/fall season, before returning to Fl. for winter. I am familiar with Greenbrier County since I have family in Lewisburg. I have enjoyed the area and having done a search on line I feel that Pocahontas County would be even better. I have seen several properties for sale along the river that would be perfect for a camp. They have anywhere from 1-3 acres and some already have a septic/water/elec. and a small trailer on one. My concern is about flash flooding without any warning. I realize rivers will rise but will there be enough warning to pack up and get out of harms way if necessary. Would appreciate direct feedback from locals about this issue. As a final note I was wondering if there is a RV park to stay at in the area while I look around for that special property to develope into my dream RV campsite. If flooding is a big issue I may consider above flood zone property just off Rt219 but still easy access to river. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 PM

Wolfy-

We bought thru Red Oak as well... 4.4 acres south of Hillsboro, about halfway up Droop Mountain. We won't be building for a few years, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia