Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 PM

106 posts, read 153,613 times

Advertisements

I would like some area specific career advice. One can read every career advice related article in hopes of making a sound decision, but that is worthless if it doesn't apply to her own locale. I have a cushy desk job right now. It comes with the great pay, the upward mobility, the incomparable benefits.....and I hate every second of it. The desk life just ain't for me. I'm 5 classes away from a bachelor's in biology with a chem minor, but I see no opportunity for finishing that in the near future. Besides, what would it get me? Maybe a job paying 24k a year with no permanent position. My thought is that I should go to James Rumsey for the electrical program. It seems my only hope for having a solid career with growth potential and a decent living wage. My concern is that one, I know nothing about the school. Is it reputable? If I complete the program and sit for the journeyman exam will someone hire me? Is there some other way to get into the trades or is a technical school the best route? Is the eastern panhandle even a good place to be an electrician? I don't want to commute to NOVA. I'd like to stay as far away from that area as possible. Hopefully someone in here has some advice. This seems like somewhat of a slow board.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 06:25 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
I can't speak about the James Rumsey school, but I can tell you a little about electricians (since I hold a license).

The WV State Fire Marshal licenses electricians. The licensing exams are based on the National Electric Code (plus some calculations). No Continuing Education is required for WV electricians, not is any specific training school certificate required before you can sit for an exam. Once you are licensed, all you have to do to keep your license current is pay the renewal fee every year. Like most states, WV has reciprocal agreements with most surrounding states. Check the fire marshal's web site to see which one. You would need to get an apprentice license first. A journeyman license requires some verifiable work experience and another test.

That being said, it seems like there is always work for a good electrician. Whether that meets your needs in your area is something I can't answer, but learning the NEC and knowing how to safely do electrical work is a good skill to have. Many people are afraid to do even the simplest of electrical tasks in their own homes, because they don't understand how to do it safely. They are willing to pay for skilled labor to do it for them.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:48 PM

I'm a little confused by the school website then. It says at the completion of the 10 month program you are prepared to sit for the journeyman exam. I wonder if the schooling counts as work experience. If that's the case I'm going that route. I can't take a break from income as I am the sole earner in my family. The helper positions I've seen advertised require experience. I just don't know how to break into the field. I'd be willing to work in other industries if there was an easy opportunity to get in. I just really want to get out of this desk job asap. It's going to kill me with the stress.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 AM

I'd suggest you talk to the school to find out the details. I'd also suggest you contact the State Fire Marshal's office and learn the facts about licensing. I'm retired and have held my license for too long to be able to offer much help about current license testing requirements. Here's the Fire Marshal's web site about Electrician Licensing:

Office of the State Fire Marshal

Incidentally, the reciprocal agreement information is there at the bottom of the page.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:50 PM

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Thanks to that link, I found the requirements. It says a vocational certificate counts as work experience to sit for the journeyman exam. YAY!

Old 12-30-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post
Thanks to that link, I found the requirements. It says a vocational certificate counts as work experience to sit for the journeyman exam. YAY!
Good for you! I didn't think there would be much of a job market for Apprentice Electricians. The need to be under supervision is a severe limitation.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:01 AM

I'm going to sign up for the next start date. I've been looking at job sites and do see a decent number of journeyman jobs available, so that's promising. I'll be so happy to leave this credit union when the time comes. I never wanted to do this kind of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: