Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,884,618 times

Advertisements

The rates went up (even though it was a small amount); they moved ESPN Classic to the Sports Tier; and they are not broadcasting the Pirate games on FSN Pittsburgh.

I filed an online complaint and received what I think is a standard response about the cable company only being a "link" and the broadcaster sets the program schedule. Well, last night my son in TN had the Pirates on FSNPittsburgh while I had to watch Reggie Bush {ironically on the same day the NCAA made USC return the Heisman) if I stayed on FSNPitt.

I responded that the standard answer couldn't be true because the game was being shown on DirectTV FSNPitt; I didn't get a response.

The local media reported they were finally able to get an answer about the lack of Pirate baseball was a Suddenlink "business decision".

Does anyone in the Wood County area have Direct TV? I was wondering about cost and reception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 05:26 AM

180 posts, read 352,606 times
Who would want to watch a Pirates game anyway. They suck out loud. Go Reds.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,884,618 times
Here is why:

Pirates rookie third baseman Pedro Alvarez hit 2 home runs 2 nights ago and then 2 more last night, leading Pittsburgh to back-to-back wins over Milwaukee. So Alvarez has already done what Hank Aaron, Mike Schmidt, Ted Williams, Willie McCovey and Ernie Banks never did. Those guys are members of the Hall of Fame and 500 home run club but never hit multiple home runs in each of two consecutive games.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,117,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The rates went up (even though it was a small amount); they moved ESPN Classic to the Sports Tier; and they are not broadcasting the Pirate games on FSN Pittsburgh.

I filed an online complaint and received what I think is a standard response about the cable company only being a "link" and the broadcaster sets the program schedule. Well, last night my son in TN had the Pirates on FSNPittsburgh while I had to watch Reggie Bush {ironically on the same day the NCAA made USC return the Heisman) if I stayed on FSNPitt.

I responded that the standard answer couldn't be true because the game was being shown on DirectTV FSNPitt; I didn't get a response.

The local media reported they were finally able to get an answer about the lack of Pirate baseball was a Suddenlink "business decision".

Does anyone in the Wood County area have Direct TV? I was wondering about cost and reception.
I agree, I'm very upset with Suddenlink

When they converted the whole state to digital, my picture isn't nearly as good as before, even though I have a new TV. And it freezes sometimes

Old 07-22-2010, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,582 times
One would think that Suddenlink is falsely advertising FSN Pittsburgh, since it really is NOT giving us their programming. On top of that, FSN offers all its games in high def (the solution to the crap digital signal Suddenlink sends), but Suddenlink cares way way more about its monopolistic profits than any of its customers to even give us that option on a higher tier. When you got the monopoly, you dont have to do anything to keep your customers.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM

80 posts, read 257,694 times
I switched from Suddenlink to Directv last year because I couldn't get the NFL games I wanted. Best move I ever made. The picture is great(lots of HD) and I get a lot more channels for the price. I wished I would have done it a long time ago but was worried about the picture going out.I've only lost it when we've had really heavy rain and it was for just a short period. Otherwise no problems at all.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 12,170 times
Default Re DirectTV

With Direct TV you have great phone customer service and reliable picture but on the down side you have to pay for any equipment upgrades ( $100 and up) as technology changes, HD is NOT free and adds an extra $12 monthly to your bill (plus the majority of the channels are not HD) and the biggie for me--- depending on where you live you might not get local channels. I pay an extra $5 a month just to see national PBS because I can't get it and several other locals, over the air or with a digital antenna. Direct TV also doesn't have a lot of 'men on the ground' in WV so we've had to wait weeks for installation issues, etc. All that said, Direct TV offers some programming you can't get elsewhere, which is why we're with them for now.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM

19,532 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Never heard of Suddenlink.
I am; however, familiar with Dish, DirecTV and now Comcast.
I liked how Dish presents their tv channel viewing guide and DirecTV somewhat harder to for me to view but not unreasonable.

Comcast favorable rating for me is that the remote runs everything. DirecTV's we've had problems but I still like the viewing of various channels and my "I'm used to this" dvr programming line-up. I have several shows that I've set up to record because I don't have the time to watch/not available at the times that the show is on, so I like the familiarity with this option. I hope DirecTV doesn't change in that regard, like how Yahoo is always playing around w/ stuff. One day clicking for in box is on right, next day it's up on the top left corner, tomorrow - who knows?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:52 AM

31 posts, read 69,055 times
I was not a big fan of Suddenstink either. I had them in Farmington and they didn't have CNBC. Maybe if I could have gotten the box to work I would have been able to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia